PDA

View Full Version : 2 Identical PC's: Installed Stuff on 1, duplicated HD to other, NOT WORKING!

singularity2006
09-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Okay, I have two identical systems. Each have the same mobo, CPU, and RAM with only the video card being different. I installed all my apps to one system and duplicated the hard drive in hopes of not having to re-install the apps onto system 2. However, when booting from the duplicated drive, the system reboots after the Windows 2000 screen that shows the blue progress bar.

Any ideas? Would swapping video cards make a difference? I tried the Windows 2000 emergency recovery CD but it didn't make a diff.

Hazdaz
09-18-2005, 05:22 AM
Aren't there ID codes embedded into different chips/components - even if they are the same make and model number?

Like that is how MS locks down XP, right? Your NIC and a few other components creates a unique ID number for your specific PC even if another one is configured the exact same way. My GUESS is that if you could just reinstall Windows on that 2nd PC (without reformatting) the applications themselves will probably work, since WIndows is the one that is stopping that system from booting.

Ofcourse you could always just try swapping videocards and seeing if that works - might be the fastest solution.

But I do foresee problems - might just be better in the long run to just reinstall all your programs (even though it obvioulsy would be a total pain in the ass)

singularity2006
09-18-2005, 05:39 AM
this is going to be a serious pain in the @ss. I didn't imagine that Windows 2000 would lock things down. I'm going to try to re-duplicate the drive one more time to see what happens.... I'm seriously going to hate installing things mostly because I'm so short on time. Please, if anyone has a solution, please let me know!!! :cry:

and just to add, i switched video cards... it did nothing... :(

SheepFactory
09-18-2005, 05:42 AM
wouldnt installing the apps right now take less time then duplicating the drive , failing , duplicating again , possibly failing again and then installing again. if you are so short on time it doesnt make sense to experiment.

singularity2006
09-18-2005, 05:43 AM
duplicating takes 10 min.

re-installing and reconfiguring system and settings for security and all that... about 5 hours.

and as for the security lock down... if that was the case, why does Norton Ghost work across system campuses? o.0

Ordibble-Plop
09-18-2005, 10:22 AM
How exactly did you duplicate the drive?

I've never done it myself before, but I'm guessing that areas like the boot sector are not going to work if the files were just copied across.

You can get professional applications for ghosting and installing copies of OSes. I imagine they wouldn't sell many if it was as easy as copying files.

lots
09-18-2005, 01:04 PM
I do this sort of thing at work all the time. We use Norton Ghost (probably the only useful tool from Symantec :P). Ghost will take an image of the HD (including boot sectors) and write it to the new drive, all across a network (though it can go from HD to HD in a single machine).

I would assume you are using a tool designed for cloning the HD, correct? It's pretty simple, create an image of your already set up machine, then dump it onto the other machine. Your systems sound close enough (hopefully they run the same chipset and motherboard model) that it shouldnt be a problem to ghost it..

EDIT: Microsoft actually provides a few tools to help ease the cloning of Windows. Including one that will reset windows to a clean state for cloning, that way drivers and all of the security settings are not installed or been generated.. Granted this is a tool we've been using on XP, I'm not sure if it exists in 2K.

I hear Vista is gonna have some pretty nice imaging tools...

singularity2006
09-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Dangit, I got rid of Norton Ghost a loooong time ago... but anyhow, I used Seagate's Discwizard to do the drive duplication (not the file copy function but the create boot drive function). And yeah, both hardware on the systems are the same from board to CPU to memory. Only diff is the video card.

If anyone has any other tips, please do let me know ...

SheepFactory
09-18-2005, 05:27 PM
duplicating takes 10 min.

re-installing and reconfiguring system and settings for security and all that... about 5 hours.

Hey its been like 12 hours since you posted this :D

see my point?

singularity2006
09-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey its been like 12 hours since you posted this :D

see my point?

har har har... my last 10 hours was used to sleep. The remaining time is hwk.... my brother will just have to suck it up and use my mom and dad's computer until i finish setting up his. ~.~

novadude
09-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Does the copied boot drive work in the first system?

lots
09-18-2005, 10:16 PM
That's interesting.

Make him set it up him self :P

singularity2006
09-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Does the copied boot drive work in the first system?

damn... it totally slipped my mind to even try that. i'm too deep into the semester projects to even bother with that.

And as for my bro, letting him do it himself will leave our home network open for damage. I gotta configure everything on that from beginning to end.... besides, he hasn't the slightest clue of what to do anyway. Only a middle schooler. damn kids and their P2P.

FunkyCowie
09-19-2005, 09:47 AM
here's an idea... shop your brother for illegal p2p usage and then you won't have to bother :)

seriusly... installation and setup should take about 2 hours max on computer... I`ve done it many times, and time wasted posting here and sleeping you could have done it a couple of times already... and surely your brother can wait... he's only a middle schooler after all

deathman20
09-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Yup if your doing HW on the computer and can have the other computer next to you, it doesn't take that long to configure. True ghosting a machine is quick and easy but sometimes issues arise like this.

The easiest way to do something like that is to make a automatic install DVD of the windows i with the programs that you use and let it do it all automatically.

Otherwise it might take an hour for windows, 20min for nessisary drivers and misc software, a reboot, and install everything else and then another reboot and your ready to roll. I can install XP in 20min, majority of the software in anohter hour, and a few games in 30min. Usually it takes more time to make sure everythings backed up and off the side and all ready for a quick 2 hour install then it does to install the system.

singularity2006
09-19-2005, 05:06 PM
nah... too distracting. I tried doing that with my own systems. I got a whole host of applications to install on there for his school work and all and I gotta configure them too. Adobe CS Suite (color mangement and callibrations and scratch disks), Macromedia's Suite,Office Suite, etc. I also edit out the registry so the kid doesn't do funny things on the internet.

hwk first. l8, folks. thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2005, 05:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.