PDA

View Full Version : A Fun Mel/Dynamics Exercise

VictorG
09-17-2005, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't consider this "art" so this seemed like a more appropriate forum to post. It's a raytracer that uses particles as rays. The goal was to do it entirely in mel. I may post the script eventually once I optimize and clean it up a bit. It was just a geeky little exercise :)

http://www.victorgrant.com/melRT/melRT.jpg

-Victor

zylphyr
09-18-2005, 11:55 AM
cool!

Show us the code! :D

-z

kamil_w
09-18-2005, 01:24 PM
really cool

plz, post the code

goleafsgo
09-18-2005, 01:43 PM
That's pretty cool.

There was a thread somewhere here recently where people were talking about having a programming challenge like the artists do. I think we should do something like that...maybe have a MEL programming challenge. We could keep it pretty simple...maybe all try to solve the same problem and vote on the best entry. Maybe have a category for best UI and one for best tool or whatever.

Sorry VictorG...don't want to take over the thread, maybe we should start another thread to see what kind of interest there is...

Hirni_NG
09-18-2005, 06:22 PM
That's pretty cool.

There was a thread somewhere here recently where people were talking about having a programming challenge like the artists do. I think we should do something like that...maybe have a MEL programming challenge. We could keep it pretty simple...maybe all try to solve the same problem and vote on the best entry. Maybe have a category for best UI and one for best tool or whatever.

Sorry VictorG...don't want to take over the thread, maybe we should start another thread to see what kind of interest there is...

Yes, this is a good idea. I thought about putting together maya scenes+scripts to do simple interactive games right within maya, but never got time to do something like that or got an idea that really would be worth doing. But something simple like an asteroids clone using dynamics should be possible, pretty much along the robot wars dvd from [insert maya dvd vendor]...

CGTalk Moderation
09-18-2005, 06:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.