PDA

View Full Version : linking a motion capture skeleton to a custom skeleton

the_zed_axis
09-17-2005, 10:04 PM
hi there guys
i am kinda a noobie to rigging and animation and i was wondering if it was possible to have a motion capture(ed) skeleton drive another skeleton say advanced skeleton or one of the free rigs available from higend3d.com

i have been searching over the net for some tutorials..i think the correct term for this would e motion retargeting but i havent been able to find a tutorial or a script that can connect two skeletons up....

i tried using the bvhimport script from highend3d but am completely lost on how to conect that skeleton to another :(

can someone please help
thanks in advance

lucille
09-18-2005, 01:48 AM
If you are just trying to retarget--skel to skel--this is partially supported in maya
natively (animation>>skeleton>>retargeting) Retargeting from a skel to a
rig is more involved...

niralrajani
09-20-2005, 05:37 PM
hi shashi

hey i am from india r u indian......?
well i am working on mocap project....we usually transfer our mocap data to skel in motion bulilder and then bring it to maya via FBX pluing ,we do hae script to birng data in to maya as clip directly...our rigs r embeded andcan tweak aniamtion in maya directly........
niral

revilo3D
09-25-2005, 12:13 PM
hey man.. fancy meeting you here :P

I have done some experimentations myself in this matter and yep basicly you would what to use maya's "retargeting" tool.

All that you need to do is give the skeleton system that you want to move with the mocap data a naming convention that is the same over both skeletons. This can be done via joint labels.

You can then use the retarget tool to use the mocap skeleton to drive your own one with variety of options.

I personally have had mixed results where variations in skeleton size and shape cuasing drifting when using just fk + a variant options to have caused drifting. Retargeting has options in regards to my problem but not knowing the full extent of how it works these failed to work well for me. however have seen it work better on other rigs.
I only spent one day or so playing with it and think with studying the maya docs a bit more (espically now knowing more about setups) you will be able to achieve the results your after.

keep us posted on how you get on :)

rferl
09-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Just Orient constraint the joints and point/orient Constraint the root.

Farshid Ashouri,
TD,
Iran.

+98 (0411) 3808902

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2006, 10:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.