PDA

View Full Version : couple question before I bind the skin

mttjss
09-17-2005, 08:31 PM
I am pretty much done creating my control objects for my character. I have a basic skeleton/NO iks yet/and no blendshapes yet.
I have noticed on other rigs that there is sometimes no skeleton and most of the time no joints in the fingers, just set driven keys. How do you go about doing this?
Do I make the blendshapes for the facial animation before or after seting up the rest of the rig?

I am pretty much stuck at this point so I will wait until I hear something.

thanks

Matt

stewartjones
09-17-2005, 09:14 PM
No joint in the fingers?!?! I've never used a rig without them myself, so I can't help out on that.

I set-up the main rig first. Including IK/FK etc, and SDK's etc. Then go in and make sure everything on the skeleton is clean, and grouped correctly. Once that's done I bind the skeleton to the skin, and then worry about the facial blend shapes etc. I always work on the face in a seperate file too, just incase I muck something up.

I'm in no way a pro at this, so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt! :)

Dichotomy
09-20-2005, 08:04 PM
I've never seen a rig with no joints in the fingers... most people will have the joints in the fingers, but have them controlled by set driven keys, so you never have to touch them.
I would imagine that the skeleton is just hidden.
I usually create the whole rig, bind the skin and then do the face blends. The only thing you have to remember is to drop the blends under the skin in the input order on the mesh, or your blends will counter the animation from the rig :thumbsup:
If you want to, you can do the blends first, it really doesn't matter.
good luck

zoc
09-20-2005, 11:42 PM
So could we say that is this a good workflow to make a character?

build the low and hi model > wrap deform of the low on hi > make joint, ik, expression, connection > bind of the low > weight paint and component editor > blend shape, target, infuence object > change the input order > animation!

ps: but when is the right moment to put texture? and where? to hi or low model UV?

thanks!

DirtEater
09-26-2005, 04:54 PM
So could we say that is this a good workflow to make a character?

build the low and hi model > wrap deform of the low on hi > make joint, ik, expression, connection > bind of the low > weight paint and component editor > blend shape, target, infuence object > change the input order > animation!

ps: but when is the right moment to put texture? and where? to hi or low model UV?

thanks!

I've been curious about the beginning to end workflow as well. Anyone care to share theirs? Is the wrap deformer approach the standard?

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2005, 04:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.