PDA

View Full Version : Become as a modeler ? What does it take ?

Studev
11-08-2002, 08:49 AM
Most of the time you spending your time on modeling. Tweaking points, adding extra details, refining shape and so on, fine. But what makes one modeler better that the other modeler ? Is it because of how fast he can complete/finish the models ? Or is it because of the his precision sense is great ? or what ? What makes someone as a good 3d modeler and how ? In other words, what does it take to become a good 3d modeler ? Does software really play big roles in this ?

Studev

yon dabuda
11-08-2002, 09:12 AM
a great modeller gets better with more experience.
a great modeller doenst think that he or she great.
a great modeller doesnt quit because of obsticales.

um... yeah something like that :)
but you may replace "modeller" with anything and it should still hold true.

SplineGod
11-08-2002, 09:21 AM
A great modeler depends on the situation and constraints placed upon him/her. If you are working for yourself and doing it as a hobby you have different constraints then someone working at a studio under a tight deadline with little sleep. :)
A good modeler knows their craft and puts the time in to magnify their talents. A good modeler does the best they can under whatever constraints place upon them. A good modeler also knows how to take direction and work well with others.

takkun
11-08-2002, 10:02 AM
This is kind of a weird question... it should be obvious what it takes to be a great modeler. The ideal modeler should be fast but even more important is the quality of their final product. Create things that make yourself and others drop their jaw and say wow.
(i.e. :eek: , :bowdown: , :drool: ) what does it take to become a good 3d modeler ? A good drawing or sculpting background, good understanding of how the program and the modeling tools work, and a lot of practice and reference material.

red_oddity
11-08-2002, 10:58 AM
Practice, practice, practice, practice, and when done practicing, practice some more.

proton
11-08-2002, 01:56 PM
A great Modeler is like any great artist....its all in the eye of the beholder....

Some people that I think are the best modeler are hated by others....:shrug:

Studev
11-08-2002, 02:32 PM
Some people that I think are the best modeler are hated by others....

Weird proton, how come people can hate modeler ? Any examples ?

I got all the points that you guys make here and many thanks for the reply. Maybe i can add one more thing which is "observation".

Regards
Studev

Steve Warner
11-08-2002, 03:42 PM
Modeling is an art form. As such, being a great modeler comes from being a great artist. We can argue all day over which application is the best, but in the end, no one sees your 3D program. They see your model. And in it they will see a direct reflection of your vision, your style, and your skills. You must first develop these. Without them, you will never be a great modeler.

Your 3D application only matters in so far as it allows you to achieve your specific goals. Look at Brian Taylor's "Rust Boy." It's gorgeous. And it was created with Infini-D, not Maya, not Max, not XSI, or Lightwave.

You may be able to model quickly, but that doesn't mean you've become a great modeler. Bob Ross could brush out a scenic painting in under 30 minutes. I've yet to his name mentioned among other great artists.

Study art and learn to observe. Find the essence in an object and model it. (See the writings and paintings of Mackenzie Thorpe as an example). When you've developed the skill to allow your vision and style to come through, you'll not only be a great modeler. You'll be a great artist.

Cheers!

Steve

Studev
11-08-2002, 04:03 PM
There's something in your post that makes me think further.

When you say "reflection of your vision". This is the thing that i hardly see in the animation or only the models itself nowadays, except for some outstanding artists that come from traditional background who always studying painting and so on.

Only my opinion

wgreenlee1
11-08-2002, 07:09 PM
What makes a great modeler is to be able to model his/her vision with precision.

rock
11-10-2002, 10:32 PM
What does it takes to be a Modeler?

M...oney
O...pportunity
D...iscipline
E...xercise
L...ightwave
E...xperience
R...ender

Rock

Fasty
11-12-2002, 01:39 PM
Vision with Precision! My new motto!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.