PDA

View Full Version : Messiah and application x

Mike RB
09-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Quick question. What would be the workflow to animate in messiah without using embedded scenes. Then afterwards, or to check renders bring the motion in or post-embed them. Would it be:

Load messiah, animate, save fxs, keep animating, save again, want to check render in app x...

Close messiah

Open app x, add objects, add plugins, launch messiah....

This is the part im hazy on, somehow replace the fresh embedded messiah scene while its linked with the saved fxs... or just bring in the motion... need info here...

Close messiah (minimize) and boom your animation is in LW/maya/whatever....

Can someone detail the exact way to do this without PO? I just get a creepy feeling embedding all my animation data and rigging into a LW scene file. The TD part of me really dosen't like that.... I'd like to just bring it in when I want to... So, post-embedding, how do we do it....

Mike

Julez4001
09-16-2005, 08:50 PM
heheheheheheheheheh I feel you on this pipeline assessment.

For Lightwave
You can use the PO lite and Lw's native MDD plug
HOWEVER its not automated. If you have one mesh then thisis a fine method but once you
have more than one mesh, you gonna want PO pro because it gets tedious.

Non-PO way.
I usually layout my scene and camera in LW ..all in LW.
I then attach my character mesh/cameras to nulls (cheap animatic) and then bring that motion into Messiah.
Import rig and then animate.
I save fxs along the way and for quick test, I F12 the characters out to LW, render, check, close lw, continue in Messiah.... open LW, F12, render, check

Mike RB
09-16-2005, 09:11 PM
I don't get how that works, I thought embedding wrote the messiah data INTO the lws... You can close LW, and still save your messiah scene?

Julez4001
09-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Load lw
then access messiah via lw panel
load fxs
F12 characters into LW
compare or maybe update animation the lws file or/and render
In LW, save embedded lws
In messiah, You can always save a fxs file while the two apps are open/linked (sort alike a backup of the animation data).
You can choose to animate in messiah linked to LW or close LW/messiah
Open messiah STANDALONE, reload that saved fxs file and hone animation.

Just gotta separate 'whats, whats" in your project, what messiah will control and what LW will control.
Once I locked my camera down, Messiah becomes my key app.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

POINTOVEN PRO is less headache in button pushing. Thats why so many ppl like it.
And if you save the mdd data cross a network, the LW on the other computer(s) get updated automatically.

Ejecta
09-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Hye Julez,
Is PO Pro working good with 8? We are still using 7.5 here at work and Im still only using 7.5 at home. I would probably only use LW to render when I want a feature studio doesnt have in thier renderer yet , so is 8 have anything over 7.5 in that area? Is 8 as stable as 7.5? I was thinking of upgrading for some of the other new features in 8 but not sure yet. Im thinking I might just get modo instead of upgrading LW.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Leonardo Vega
09-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Julez: [EDIT: Just read your post] Closing LW while connected to Messiah close both apps, right? Also I thought it was not possible to "connect" with LW, if Messiah was opened first.

Btw, any reason why you animation the camera in LW instead of Messiah?

Thanks!
Leo

Julez4001
09-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Julez: [EDIT: Just read your post] Closing LW while connected to Messiah close both apps, right? Also I thought it was not possible to "connect" with LW, if Messiah was opened first.

Btw, any reason why you animation the camera in LW instead of Messiah?

Thanks!
Leo

Ejecta
PPro works fine with LW 8.3, XSI 4.2. Not yet with maya 7 according to Mark Wilson.

Okay whenI know I will be rendering in LW (which s 100 % of the time) I layout my Camera in LW.
I will position/rotate the character's meshes via nulls for placement value.
Once I am statisified with my motion, I save the camera motion to a file and load it into messiah.

You are right.
To connect (embedded lws) messiah and lw, lw must be open first.

Note: When I am chaarcter animating I usually go ahead and work with messiah as standalone till I am ready to reconnect with LW. Messiah as a standalone and connected to LW share recent file list.

fwtep
09-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Julez is right. To create an embedded scene out of a messiah scene do this:

1) Save your scene in messiah.
2) Exit messiah and start LightWave.
3) Start messiah from within LightWave.
4) In messiah, load your scene.
5) Select the character (or whatever) and press F12.
6) In LightWave, save the scene.

From here on out, do your loading and saving of the scene from LightWave.

Fred

Wegg
09-17-2005, 01:36 AM
Just. . . do a lot of tests with Net-Render (screamernet) if you decide to do it this way. This method USED to work just fine but. . . things have been falling appart a little bit.

Leonardo Vega
09-17-2005, 04:51 AM
1) Save your scene in messiah.
2) Exit messiah and start LightWave.
3) Start messiah from within LightWave.
4) In messiah, load your scene.
5) Select the character (or whatever) and press F12.
6) In LightWave, save the scene.

From here on out, do your loading and saving of the scene from LightWave.

So let's say I have a scene with 10 characters, I just load the embedded scene from Lightwave... but how do I connect to Messiah? Do I add a "messiah displacement" deformer?

Thanks!
Leo

Wegg
09-17-2005, 05:53 AM
No you load the geometry in Messiah while connected to Lightwave. . . and hit F12. That puts it into Lightwave with Displacement applied. You just have to change the subdivide order of the mesh to last.

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2005, 05:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.