PDA

View Full Version : Bionic Snow Dragon

Justin Owens
02-24-2002, 06:41 AM
Maybe I will get more hits now that I have a cooler thread name.."Celcius" didn't get very many hits.. if you like this check out my new site at www.bluebionics.com
BTW the site is best viewed at 1024/768

See ya..

http://www.bluebionics.com/HRCelcius.jpg

Justin Owens
02-24-2002, 07:02 AM
Oh sorry...I am also excepting critiques..or just let me know what you think..

Later..

Gilgamesh
02-24-2002, 10:37 AM
That is just awesome, man. Great character design and render and everything. That creature's skin is great.
I can't really say that it needs much improvement, but if you want some suggestions...The guy's breastplate looks a little boring in the midst of all that other detail, but that is negligable. Maybe you could have the creature's feet sinking into the snow a little more, and with footprints behind him:) Ooo, and it would be cool if we could see the creatures breath, since it is so cold. Great work.

lildragon
02-24-2002, 04:28 PM
you got me, altho I'm a dragon luvr, I'm not to much of a fan of these types of dragons, but it look very good

-the textures on the dragon are mapped well but I'm not sure it's complete, seems to be lacking something I can't put my finger on

- the chest on the rider needs major tweaking, it looks like two smoothed cubes under his armor :)

other than that, it's a very nice render, what renderer are you using?

nordwest
02-24-2002, 06:02 PM
:D :D :D really nice!!! ... but the skins surface of the dragon is flat like snowitty's tits! ;) :p

ivanp
02-24-2002, 07:06 PM
Look a bit a the lighting in on the creature - right now the shading appers very flat, especially around the tail and above the hips. A bit of backlight would help to trace the profile of your model and bring forth the detail. If your software package supports it - a bit of softshadowing would help great too, since the dropshadows looks very raytraced. Oh, and be careful with that bump map too, maybe crank it down a little bit.

Ivanp.

The Magic Pen
02-25-2002, 01:42 AM
Man that rocks, good work!!

chrislomaka
02-25-2002, 07:14 PM
seems like there's something odd about the tail...

it might be the texture on it, but it kinda looks like the tail flips over really quickly, and is nearly upsidedown by the time it ends.

also, it looks like the tail flips over to the inside of the curl, whereas i think it should flip to the outside...

lemme see if i can draw a quit top view for ya...
red is the way it looks like the tail is going,
green the way it probably should go...
i think the cross-section i drew might explaine it better...

sorry if this isn't clear..:(

Justin Owens
02-25-2002, 07:34 PM
Gilgamesh,

Thanks man..as far as the brestplate goes..I'll probably leave that alone but..I agree it would look cooler with somemore detail..This was actually a composite onto a background that I built in photoshop.. I had a deadline so I didn't get to put the footprints in..He would be sinking more into the snow but I was so proud of my painted textures I didn't want to miss anything..I know that sounds dumb..

lildragon,

Yeah I wanted to do something a little different than the conventional dragon..I am using Mayas renderer.. The lighting was probably the hardest thing to match..without a radiosity renderer I had to set up a lot of lights and do a lot of test renders..(common maya get with the program)..

ivanp,

I wanted to use displacement..but I was working with a device that use to be called a computer in the min 1820's..ha ha..jk Yeah the machine is kinda old so it just sat there whenever I set it up to render displacement.. Bump maps will always look flat and the lighting I talked about..Thanks Man..

nordwest,

what is that titty thing man?..

chrislomaka,

Yeah I had to do some cheating with the tail but don't tell anyone..Oh wait..ha ha..I understand where your goin.. I had to cheat it because of texture stretching..I had the almighty deadline to hit..I'll continue working on it..Thanks man..

Justin Owens
02-25-2002, 11:54 PM
here is a close up of the same render.. the scales were the most time consuming..having to paint every scale in photoshop..it was a great learning experience for texturing..Let me know what you think..

Thanks Ya'll

http://www.bluebionics.com/SD.jpg

chrislomaka
02-25-2002, 11:59 PM
this is one of the areas that i like. areas of nice big scale patterns, with areas of smaller detail (like the ears, where the scales should be smaller because of all the flexability there), and even areas on the throat w. just a few scales.

looks great!

btw- the teeth look cool. not photo-realistic, but they look like they would had the piece been done w. an airbrush... neat.

Justin Owens
02-26-2002, 12:15 AM
Here is the smooth shade and wire..check out more at www.bluebionics.com

http://www.bluebionics.com/wire.jpg

Gilgamesh
02-26-2002, 12:19 AM
I don't suppose we could see some of the actual textures you painted? (Low rez of course) I would be interested to see how they were mapped.

Justin Owens
02-26-2002, 12:45 AM
Sure Man..

I started out with a box and used sub-D's in Maya to model the whole Dragon..I used the texture editor to unwrap the sub-D surface like you see in the bottom left..Maya 4 has a cool new feature where you can take a snapshot of your UV unwrap and paint on it in Photoshop. I painted the scales like you see in the uper right corner..then used that as a template to paint further textures layer after layer.. Planar mapping was my primary way of mapping him and I used some cylindrical mapping. Here are the teeth I painted in the bottom right..This is the first time I have really sat down for several hours and just painted textures..they really make the model!..

http://www.bluebionics.com/texturing.jpg

Justin Owens
02-26-2002, 12:48 AM
Feel free to Rate this if you want..

studiomiguel
02-26-2002, 01:27 AM
Well, justin... it seems you have opened the pandoras box of comments here... nice to see so many hits!
BTW.. I got my reel semi-done.
mike

Gilgamesh
02-26-2002, 02:15 AM
sweet, thanks. Bravo

Justin Owens
02-27-2002, 06:44 PM
No Prob Bob..

Keep crankin Miguel..

Later..

yobarman
02-28-2002, 04:27 AM
i like it a lot, the texturing is great except for one part. I'm not a dragon expert or anything, but I don't like how big the scales are around the base of the tail near it's ass. there's about 2-3 scales in that part, i think you could make them smaller to make the rest of the body. but then again, what do i know about dragons :)

pascal_blanche
02-28-2002, 05:30 AM
5 stars for me ;) you should submit it to raph.com too.. just a little sugesttion before doing it.. you should lower your dragon so the feet GOES into snow.. even the harder snow couldn't resist the weight of such beast! it's the really only onaying (but visible) detail... really cool pict, bravo! :D :D :D

captain GUNDAM
02-28-2002, 01:08 PM
just jokes, its ver cool, like an arctic version of dinoriders.
are you aiming for realism - if so add more minute bump detail and get rid of the etchy colouring. the head is the best part but more colour detail in the mouth is needed ( the map looks fine but in the render the colours blend to much, try increase contrast a tad ). the rider still needs alot of texture work.

however the modeling appears solid and i would love to se the creature animated. good luck.

its very refreshing to see some good fantasy art

Justin Owens
02-28-2002, 07:27 PM
Yeah you can tell that I started getting lazy towward the back..Painting every bump on that guy is fun but it gets old after several hours at a time..As you can see they get larger as they go toward the tail..For the robot I just used a procedural texture..he's so high poly the test renders took a while. I think my next step will be texture correction then animation tests..Thanks for the comments..you know how you look at something forever and it blinds you from the mistakes..

Thanks Guys..

skello
03-02-2002, 12:35 PM
Awesome texturing dude!!:)

Thoth
03-02-2002, 01:53 PM
I'm sure it's great ...but is it just me or is your site down? ...i couldn't get in yesterday and either today ...and the pic doesn't show either :)

Reeks
03-02-2002, 05:00 PM
It's a gorgeous image, and I'm just as impressed with the BG plate as the rest for composition. I'm assuming a heavily retouched photo? (please don't tell me it's modelled, then I'd just be too jealous..)

:)Reeks

-----------------------------
www.ricoholmes.com

studiomiguel
03-02-2002, 05:49 PM
Hey Jus.... I had some trouble accessing your site.. it could be my server, but I'd check just in case. congratulations on getting posted to the front page. Awsome....

lildragon
03-02-2002, 05:54 PM
it's more than likely that after being plugged on cgc frontpage his server couldn't handle it ;) it's happen many times b4 to other artist

cheers

BASSit
03-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Wow ! You made it man . . . appearing on the frontpage of CG-Channel is dream 4 all of us and an honour !
Donīt crit something if you canīt make it better ;)

Keep it going !

LichiMan
03-03-2002, 05:38 AM
AWESOME!!
GOOD JOB!!
I hope see more works of you soon :D

Samotion
03-03-2002, 06:37 PM
beautiful..............

Justin Owens
03-05-2002, 03:55 AM
To All,

Hey Hey..Thanks Guys..

I have been blessed to appear on the front of CGChannel..I have not been blessed by FeaturePrice.com.. Whenever I joined them they didn't tell me I had very little bandwidth until I found out the hard way..Any Suggestions?.. All I can say at this point is if you havn't seen the site, give it a few days then visit..it will still be there...Hopefully. One suggestion would be to stick me on your favorites list to remind you later to check www.bluebionics.com I am hooking up with a friend that just purchased a high end digital camera..were going to do some shooting and composite this mug on some real footage..ha ha..that will be fun. I will keep moving toward my ultimate dream of someday ending up in the movie industry. Animation is one end I need to work on..but I'm getting there..
Thanks again for the compliments..God Bless

Reeks,
It was retouched, but not heavily and yes it is modeled..if the pics are posting now you'll be able to see the smoothshade version and wireframe.

NukleoN
03-05-2002, 09:18 AM
Pretty cool overall...love the background, very nice..I really like the creature, but that bump map looks too strong or something..like the creature is really a small sculpture being photographed rather than living flesh. It looks like the bump map is stretching a bit which is hurting the illusion. I really like the creature's mouth and and head tho.

The rider is not bad..looks like he is part robot or something? If that is armor, I'd make it much bigger so it looks like his limbs would fit inside...this is especially true with the arms, but then again I think it's supposed to be a robot, right? I would add more detail to the armor as well with more interesting bump maps, specular maps, etc. and more detail in general. His staff looks a bit too simplistic..is it a weapon or purely ornamental? The fact that it is all one color makes it look toyish...

Minor problems tho...looking good, could look GREAT with some touch-up to really sell the illusion. ;)

NukleoN

FIREDD
03-05-2002, 09:42 AM
cool!!

:cool: :D

Justin Owens
03-05-2002, 07:14 PM
NukleoN,

Thanks Man..How did you get on CGCommunity..did they just put you on?...

Later..

Justin Owens
03-06-2002, 01:46 AM
Hey guys..Good news..My site is running faster...

Later..

Daxx
03-07-2002, 08:20 PM
The Man pose is not realistic! try another pose!! :cool:

NukleoN
03-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Hi Justin,

With regard to your question, a member here suggested that I join the CG talk community, and also suggested I send my website link to the admin. I did both, and here I am. :)

Dan Burke a.k.a. NukleoN

studiomiguel
03-08-2002, 04:26 AM
Hey justonian!
Nice to see sucha positive response to your poster here. Any updates for usto check out?

otime12
03-10-2002, 10:48 PM
props on great modelling and texturing! Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but since its an arctic scene should the character really be wearing all that metallic armor? it would be really cool to see the guy maybe wear some sort of cloth with the armor plating and some fur woven in around the collar area. :cool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.