PDA

View Full Version : some thoughts on modelling an arm

CnexS
09-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Hi all, I have been thinking a bit about when modelling arms.
Why does everybody have the palm of the hand pointing down?
Wouldn't it be better if it was pointing up, if you take your arm straight out and have the palm of you hand pointing up then the elbow is pointing straight down and the bones in your forearm is side by side instead of twisted around. shouldn't this also give better result when it comes to animating and deforming.

I know that there aren't any right and wrong about this but since everybody model that way there must be a reason...

gonemad
09-15-2005, 08:25 PM
I'd say give it a try, then you can see if it behaves in the way that you're expecting it to. I can't say I've ever seen it done that way, one reason may be because in that pose the muscles of the arm are not in a relaxed state and are flexed in a way that you don't see for a majority of the arms movement.

I have seen people model the arm with the palm facing forward and they don't seem to have any problems with that method.

DirtEater
09-15-2005, 08:48 PM
I model with the palms facing forward. Since I only use the front and perspective views for modeling arms, I also model them relaxed and with a bend in the elbow.

Modeling them straight makes no sense to me, as you're going to have to modify it later just to set up the IK.

CGTalk Moderation
09-15-2005, 08:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.