PDA

View Full Version : angle elbows and knees outwards or not?

bluestreak
09-15-2005, 11:40 AM
hi all,

i'm about to rig a lion model, but the i modelled it so that the elbows and knees angle outwards.

will this cause problems when i rig and animate it?

should i instead model the elbows so that they face backwards and the knees face forward?

and then after rigging, angle the elbows and knees outwards to get the pose i'm looking for?

hope you guys can help
thanks in advance

Craiger
09-15-2005, 03:05 PM
yes, model everything straight up and down, front and back. You will thank yourself when you come to rig it. This is what i tell people when they ask if they should model the spine straight or bent like they want their character... I say, its always easier to bend a straight line, then to make a bent line straight.

werd.

bluestreak
09-15-2005, 10:47 PM
thanks for the reply Craiger,

i think i'm gonna have to tweak the model now.

thanks again.

go leafs go!

xenoid
09-16-2005, 03:22 AM
hihi bluestreak...

Yeah model your animal in the straight pose instead of modeling them bending outwards. Bending outwards may create some problems when you rig it 'cause I've experienced it b4. Like what you said, you can pose them to the pose you want after you rig it.

As for the forward or backward, hope this reference helps.
http://www.tarpits.org/education/guide/art/page18b.jpg

I've just finished rigging some cats too, so if you wana discuss about anything you discover, feel free to contact me. We can both learn together. :)

bluestreak
09-17-2005, 03:51 PM
hey thanks xenoid for the ref pic

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2005, 03:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.