PDA

View Full Version : BMX anim_ NEED CRIT PLEASE

alex_rial
09-15-2005, 07:59 AM
This is another game anim that I am trying to complete and I need some input. I have never actually animated someone on something else like this so its quite the challenge and learning experience.

http://www.rial3d.com/LEFT_PBtest002768K_Stream001.mov

I would greatly appreciate anyones comments and tips

Thanks
Alex
www.rial3d.com

Wicked
09-15-2005, 08:32 AM
The tricks are nicely done! Don't have anything to say about that. Do have some things on the bike itself though:

- It looks like someone pulls up the bike at the front wheels and holds the line tight. --> I don't see the bike going down and up (like in: keeping the wheelie going on). Do you know what I mean?

- Also, I don't see the driver pedalling (< correct english?). Does the bike drives itself forward? :)

- The landing looks nice, but impossible? --> Landing on the backwheel..? (It does look nice btw :) )

Keep it up! Looking forward for an update!

KBCamino
09-15-2005, 06:03 PM
The tricks look really well done and you clearly have done or spent alot of time studying them. The one thing that might improve it a bit is that it doesn't look like the rider moves at all side to side at the hips to counter balance some of the momentum. That and the landing of the jump. It almost looks too perfect, like the front should really slam down after the back hits. Overall really great work.

alex_rial
09-17-2005, 04:12 AM
Thanks guys for the the crit I will work on it a bit more and post it up agian soon

I'm still open for any comments on this or the next post when it comes

alex_rial
09-17-2005, 11:21 AM
I took into consideration everything you guys said and I now have this to show, I improved and added some more variations in movement and stuff.

Let me know what everyone thinks, again I am open to any and all suggestion on how to make thias better, I am hoping to complete it tomorrow and render it.

http://www.rial3d.com/LF_BikeANIM_update768K_Stream001.mov (http://www.rial3d.com/LF_BikeANIM_update768K_Stream001.mov)

Enjoy
Alex
www.rial3d.com

rawshark
09-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Overall I think you've done a great job!
The only thing I'd say is that the rider should be more crouched at the beginning when he hits the ramp (ready to bunnyhop for the tailwhip) - either that or he should have more speed.
Also (to be REALLY picky) I'd say he should be more centered over the back wheel at the end of 180 to rollback - either that or he should bunnyhop the full 180 - there's just a couple of frames when he lands the 180 which look like gravity would've got the better of him!

Having said that, I can't do any of those tricks (yet!) so what do I know ;)

Looking forward to seeing the render!

Kickflipkid687
09-17-2005, 10:06 PM
I think it looks really good, but the landing after the tailwhip should be more dramatic, and also, the drop off from the rail looks odd. He is really stiff looking. Its much improved from the first video though.

alex_rial
09-19-2005, 03:02 AM
I wanted to see what it looked like with a simple render, it actually comes out faster (Does anyone know why my playblast does 1 speed and then the render is faster after I output it from AfterFX)

ANyway what do you guys think of the animation??? Be honest I need it, Its kinda important I nail this.

Thanks for the tips I tryed to accentuate the landing after the first trick by bring the bike down a bit more and I fixed a couple of other things.

Thanks for all the help guys
Alex

http://www.rial3d.com/fixBMX_timing001768K_Stream001.mov (http://www.rial3d.com/fixBMX_timing001768K_Stream001.mov)

Enjoy and tell me what you think

Razr
09-19-2005, 03:18 AM
You've pretty much nailed the character, I'd maybe add a little more weight when he lands and anticipation when he's launching off the ground. You need to focus on the bike more, when you watch athletes compete the bikes act almost as part of their anatomy.

Relax your camera animation as well, it's very distracting as it is.

mackabiemoss
09-19-2005, 04:35 AM
What's up Alex! I ride bmx myself and I have to say that the animation you've done has come out quite well aside from a few tweaks. I have a few recommendations for you to better the animation. First of all, have the rider crouch down slightly before he rolls into the "Quarter Pipe"(a ramp that is a 1/4 of a full pipe) and then have him come back out of the crouching position before the rider airs out of the Quarter. The crouching and uncrouching action mentioned is known as pumping; riders have to do this to mantain speed going up ramps which helps lessen the need to pedal. Secondly, have the front wheel drop a little more as he lands on the rear wheel and then have the rider pull it back up a little more to go into the "Manual"(wheelie without pedaling). Some riders have brakes and some don't, but the riders that do have a tendency to feather their brakes slightly when manualing. Imagine the rider doing the tailwhip, landing, tapping the brakes so he/she doesn't "Loop out"(happens when the bike is perpendicular to the ground when the rider lands), and then going into the manual without the front wheel touching the ground. There's a large amount of force and coordination that you have to consider. Lastly, after he does the Manual-180, have the rider do one or two back-pedals before he/she comes out of the trick. I'll try and find some online sources of video so you can see it in action. And trust me, almost anything is possible in BMX. For the most part, everything looks great on so many levels that I won't mention here, there's a lot that goes on with body and bike so I hope the info helps.

Good Luck, and keep up the good work!

alex_rial
09-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Everyone thanks for the help, thanks Mackabie for the inside BMX tips its help alot. I am making some last minute changes and I'm gonna finish it up. I'll post again once I finish it.

Thanks
Alex

alex_rial
09-19-2005, 04:00 PM
This is how it looked when I had to stamp it done. Tell me what you think of it and what you did and didn't like, maybe the next one can be better.

Thanks for the help guys
Alex

http://www.rial3d.com/Alexander_Rial_LFPanimationTest01768K_Stream001.mov

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2005, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.