PDA

View Full Version : Facial Modeling in Maya 7.0

Tarkus
09-15-2005, 02:41 AM
Hi, im fairly new to maya, and im wondering what would be the best way to approach modeling a face that can be easily rigged and animated.. cause iv tried many times and it always ends up looking very strange and nothing like a face.. Iv been always starting with a polyCube and then deleting the inner face and duplicating an instance.. but i dont know where to go from there..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Mike.

MaTTonE
09-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Take a look here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=108412) you should learn something about topology before you start to model.
I simple advice, if you are looking for real style char use poly-to-poly tecnique, if you are aming too a more stylized work use instead box modelling. In Maya you can use box + subd, box for general shape ande subd for details, but i haven't never tried this for face but only for other body parts.

Detok
09-15-2005, 02:23 PM
I almost never use the box way of modeling. I like just starting from the eye, and just poly to poly modeling, I honestly think you get the best out of it. Not sure if you're only modeling in polys, but you could always work on a radial/patch head in nurbs. I'm not sure your background in modeling/art, but it seems alot of people who do sculpting seem to like the nurbs way more. But personally, I hate Isoparms:P I would stick with polys, gives you alot of choices:D

-Cheers

zzgqq
09-15-2005, 03:23 PM
good!~~~~不错~~~~

SajNT
09-18-2005, 11:51 PM
I do it the polyCube way. Anything complex has gotta start simple. From the cube, roughly mark out where the eyeline and mouth is gonna be with 2 horizontal splits.. Then split it vertically down again where the eyes are gonna be. Do not start detailing any part of the face yet, we all have the irresistable tendancy to go into details too quickly uneccessary eh ;p

Think of sculptors, like michaelangelo, how they can sculpt out wonderous sculpts out of stone blocks. In fact, reading up books on anatomy, or facial sculpting will help heaps

; j

CGTalk Moderation
09-18-2005, 11:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.