PDA

View Full Version : Need help on Facial Modeling

Tarkus
09-15-2005, 01:16 AM
Hi, im very new to maya, and im wondering what would be the best way to approach modeling a face that can be easily rigged and animated.. cause iv tried so many times and it always ends up looking very strange and rigged.. nothing like a face lol.. Iv been always starting with a polyCube and then deleting the inner face and duplicating an instance.. but i dont know where to go from there..

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks in Advance

Mike.

darkjedi1929
09-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Hmmmm....thats pretty much what every beginner does...I did to. You ought to have seen my first few models.....enough to say that they really cracked people up. Anyway, for you I would recomend a book called "Maya Secrets of the Pros, 2nd Edition".There is a superb chapter on facial modeling by Antropus (Kris Costa). It will take you through the basics of facial modeling by the poly-by-poly method, which, in my opinion, is the best way to go about modeling a head.

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents.....

scottiedoo
09-15-2005, 08:19 AM
i would also strongly recommend the book: Stop Staring by Jason Osipa (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782141293/qid=1049761241/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-8762166-6492653?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

This book is very detailed on modeling and rigging of the characters for correct deformations and asymetrical blend shapes. I personally like this method due to the nice "joystick" style facial controls to get a nice blend of shapes and easy to animate with.

-Scott

bbqwing
09-27-2005, 09:41 AM
so, sounds like polygon is the best way to model the head for animation, huh!?

Actually, I am also very new to Maya. I am glad that I found this post because I also have the same question as Tarkus. I will try to look for the books dark_jedi_1929 and scottiedoo recommended.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2005, 09:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.