PDA

View Full Version : Proton's four pointer

Petrik
11-07-2002, 08:15 PM
Ok I am getting a little frustrated here. Lately every tutorial I do I seem to miss something and it gets all screwed up.

Now I thought I could not go wrong with proton's four point tutorial, which I thought would come in handy with one of my current disasters. But hey what do you know it became a disaster in it's own right.

Here is what I got....

Petrik
11-07-2002, 08:19 PM
And this is what it is supposed to have turned out like....

Delucubus
11-07-2002, 08:19 PM
(edit) didn't wait for your second post. I remember his tutorial but didn't read through it completely. But i'm pretty sure he was showing a good way of adding detail and getting around using 3 point polys with 4 point polys in this way. I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to do, were you trying to make that shape? or make the shape you have to that one?

But in any case, you should try and apply his tutorial to something practical like a simple face or something, I think that would be a good way of understand how the 4 point triangles work.

Petrik
11-07-2002, 08:31 PM
I created two boxes with no depth to resemble what proton had in his tutorial.

The link for those who have not been there is
http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/4pointtriangles/index.html

Then I followed the instructions but as you can see it looks different. Yet I did exactly the same thing.

Cman
11-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Oh, I see.
His selection order of the last two points in backwards. You should weld 2->1 and then you'll get the image. The way he was them highlighted will result in what you have.

It still works either way.

Tumerboy
11-07-2002, 10:12 PM
CMan is right, all you need to do, is weld the other way. Think of it this way, whatever point is selected LAST, is where everything will end up.

Good luck.

wgreenlee1
11-07-2002, 11:51 PM
Cant you just drag that lower middle vertice to make it look the same?

yon dabuda
11-08-2002, 10:56 AM
"Cant you just drag that lower middle vertice to make it look the same?" -wgreenlee1

yeah thats what im thinking. its all good either way. :) same example

proton
11-08-2002, 12:52 PM
hehehe...You got it dead on......It really doesnt matter if you have the points in the same place that I did.....all that matters is that you go from 2 polygons to one....and you did...

congrats.....you got it!:thumbsup:

Cgkoko
11-08-2002, 01:07 PM
actualy i think your way is better! I'm sure it's going to present no artifacts if bented.I'm not sure about the original tho.I don't like that polygon with the 3 out of 4 points alighned at the y axis

Petrik
11-08-2002, 05:58 PM
Well I must say that the two "versions" do bend in very different ways when you start shifting points around. So maybe it will depend on the stuation as to which one will work best.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.