PDA

View Full Version : noobTuts/selected faces not showing/selecting faces of the same colour

Dean Avanti
09-14-2005, 12:58 AM
selected faces not showing
i want to select faces in max, when a face is selected it shows in red, mine doesnt so something is turned off, how do you make it visisble again.

selecting faces of the same colour/material

i have imported a model from wingd3d into max, i have laid it out in different colours in wings3d, when i import into 3ds it still has its different material colours, i want to select everything that is one material/colour, so say in wings i did a cube and 2 sides are red the rest blue, i import into 3ds and the colours are the same on the box as in wings3d, i want to change the materials on the box, say i dont want to select all the red faces by hand say i want to select one red face then i say to 3ds select all the faces matching this one, so i dont have to by hand select every face i want, i just want to select all the faces of one coulour/material and then replace with another, but i dont want to select all the faces i want by hand, i should be able to select one and then the computer selects all the faces matching the material.

DoubleSupercool
09-14-2005, 01:16 AM
If memory serves me correctly, it is the F2 button.

Dean Avanti
09-14-2005, 01:53 AM
yep f2 will make it so that you can show faces selected in red.

now all i need is to now how to select everything of a particular colour or material so i don't have to manually click every single face that has that same colour/material

Dean Avanti
09-14-2005, 05:49 AM
this is another one that in wings3d is very simple yet im damed if i can find it in max , in wings 3d one just highlights a face and then presses the key I and every face with the same tex is then selected, there must be something in max the same, i find it hard to belive that when you want to select the faces that have a texture asigned that you have to select every single face by hand rather than just one and then select by a simple operation every face that has an identical texture as the face you have just clicked.

if posters dont get what i mean ill re explain it.

its about selecting matching materials-
say i painted your nose and your feet red, say i didnt want them red but
yellow, well i could click on your nose and highlight the faces on it and
then change then to yellow then do the same for your foot, well sellecting
al those faces would take some time, how about this i click on one face on
your nose and then i say select all faces matching the colour, the computer
then would select atomatically all the faces on your nose and foot as they
are the same matching yellow, now they have been highlighted i just change
the colour and bang everything highlighted as red is now yellow.

Dean Avanti
09-14-2005, 06:15 PM
i worked it out, you go to material and use the droper to select your model and it gives a breakdown of all the materials you have used, then you go to modifier down to the bottom and look at material ids, there is an option to select all materials of a certain material in that.

ill have to write a tutorial for those who only use max for simple static meshes for video games and are new to the programs and only use simple functions, max can be a bit triky for those new to the program.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2005, 06:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.