PDA

View Full Version : Polygon Split?

the_beginner
09-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Hello there,

does anyone have an idea how i could split up this polygon so that i could use it for subD?
Ive tried a lot of things but it wont work :(

Could you explain it to me and tell me the Tools i have to use for this operation?

Greez
beginner

KillMe
09-14-2005, 12:52 AM
why not just cut it across the diagol splitting the polsy into 2 4 sided ones

the_beginner
09-14-2005, 01:46 AM
You mean with the Knife tool? Ok ill give it a try ;)

Thanks

telamon
09-14-2005, 01:50 AM
do not use the knife tool but the polygon split tool in the details tab (shift+l AFAIR, I have remaped my shortcuts and I am not sure this is the default one for polygon split).

In bulk, select the poly, go to point mode, select two points (the corner of the small square + its opposite point) and apply polygon split

KillMe
09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
download supersplit then you jsut slect the two points dont need to bother with the poly selection

telamon
09-14-2005, 08:01 PM
wow thanks KillMe, I did not know about this tool.

KillMe
09-14-2005, 09:05 PM
tried looking for this at flay and came up short so i grabbed it from my plugins folders for ya

not mine but its an uncomplied lscript so i assume the author "cynus" who ever he is wont object - if your him and do let me know and i'll delete this

TrueArt Support
09-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Hello there,

does anyone have an idea how i could split up this polygon so that i could use it for subD?
Ive tried a lot of things but it wont work :(

Could you explain it to me and tell me the Tools i have to use for this operation?

Please give a try EasySplit http://easysplit.trueart.pl (http://easysplit.trueart.pl/)

It has one week trial, so it'll be a lot of time to acustomize with it ;)

It's splitting polygon across freehand line, you could draw it in any view port.. It's especially great to see how polygons are splitted in perspective view port, inside complex object in close zoom..

telamon
09-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Trueart support. Excuse me in advance I will be a bit harsh. I give you my personnal position. It may lead to a controversy and I am sorry in advance.

It seems to me that the_beginner has an explicit nickname and the question he asks shows that he is learning lightwave. Perhaps he is using any free discovery edition.

I think it is better that the community help him with tools that come shipped with Lightwave in order to get into the regular LW workflow and know the capabilities of the piece of software he has in his hands.

My position is that no plugin, neither free, nor commercial, should be presented to beginners as a solution to trivial problems. It does not help them to understand how the program works.

I understand that you are making money and business by floating around here on internet boards. I thus understand that you recommend your product. What you have done here is exactly as if you recommend ACS4 to a beginner asking how a bone works. I bought ACS early in my learning of LW and I think, although the product is great, this did not help me to understand the basic rigging principles in LW.

Concerning easysplit, I am a fan of this tool. Check on this forum and on spinquad, I have made very positive comments. I consider easysplit as one of the best plugin for this year. But I will never recommend it to a beginner. I prefer to recommend cut / knife / polygon split / merge, weld and all those basic tools.

Sorry again for being a bit rude ;)

blaqDeaph
09-15-2005, 12:01 AM
For such a simple polygon, you could try Triangulating it [Shift] + [T] . Or else I would just kill the poly, and make new polys given that it's such a simple polygon.

the_beginner
09-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks at alll youve helped me alot :)
@blaqDeaph: I dont know why but i dont like triangles..
@telamon: Yes you're right. I wanna learn it with lightwaves internal tools.
I think we all could do everything we want with the internal lightwave modelling tools ;)

If i have understand the working of all the tools i need, i can use plugins to make everything easier ;)

Thank you
peter

..... sorry for my bad english ;)

angel
09-16-2005, 02:31 PM
not meant to revive an old thread but this can also be done with add edges without having to bother with the select poly/select points thing.

Add the tool to a key shortcut for quick access.

-a

plotz
09-16-2005, 02:52 PM
One more easy technique:)

If you've got Lightwave 8 you can use the Bridge Tool.

Just select the two points and go to the construct tag and click on "Bridge" this will connect the two points. And split your single ngon into two quads.

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2005, 02:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.