PDA

View Full Version : scaling a rigged & skinned biped

archerx
09-13-2005, 10:51 PM
ok i made a character rigged it and skinned it with a biped but now i need to scale it down, anyone know how to scale it down with out the weirdness?

Aearon
09-14-2005, 12:03 AM
yeah it's possible... here's how i do it (not the fastest way, but it's clean)

1. turn off "always deform" under advanced parameters of the skin modifier(s)
2. scale the mesh to the size you need (scale about world origin) and reset scale using the button in the hierarchy panel (remember the pivot of your meshes should always be at [0,0,0], scale 100, and no rotation)
3. adjust bip height by the same amount you scaled your meshes (make sure the biped's center of gravity is at [0,0,0] as well)
4. turn "always deform" back on

done!

Aearon
09-14-2005, 12:21 AM
oh and 2. and 3. are interchangable ;)

archerx
09-14-2005, 01:24 AM
thanks man, this should be very helpful in the future!

Headless
09-14-2005, 02:23 AM
Or you could just turn on figure mode and scale the biped down using 'height' on the structure rollout. If it's after the model has been skinned then it should scale the character mesh down with it. As far as I understand, this method won't give you any problems besides maybe having to scale any parented objects (like eyeballs), seperately.

Aearon
09-14-2005, 07:17 AM
mh for me it just cruches the characters, because actual scale of the bipeds parts doesn't change when adjusting the height. do i need to do anything extra?

anyway if this method works for you here's an extra trick to bake the new scale back onto the mesh: (it does work for me with max standard bones, just not bipeds)

- copy the skin modifier
- collapse the stack up to the skin modifier
- paste the skin modifier back on top of the edit poly/edit mesh
- switch "always deform" off and back on

and we have clean pipeline goodness ;)

Denovice
09-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Can't test this right now but I seem to remember someone telling me when I had a similar problem was to select your entire rig along with the mesh, go to Character / Create Character and then scale down the resulting node. Something along those lines anyway, apologies if I'm talking out my back end.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2005, 10:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.