PDA

View Full Version : viewing an interactive model

griffdrc
09-13-2005, 10:00 PM
i want to be able to view my models interactively online... rotate (on both axis), zoom, pan, ect... the model would be static... is this possible? how would you do this? please note i am note looking for the code but ideas... trying to figure out if this is a plausible idea.... thanxs ~dan

fred_lemaster
09-14-2005, 06:23 AM
In terms of existing technologies, flash has limited support ofr 3D if I remember correctly. You could fake it with pre-rendered stuff anyway. Artic Pigs used to make a 3D bowser plugin. Metacreations supposedly sold all their programs to focus on their meta-stream 3D browser technology. Hmm... that's all I can think of from memory. I think a flash site driven with some actionscript would be your best bet though.

griffdrc
09-14-2005, 08:33 AM
its tricky... i've had problems trying to figure it out and talking to a friend of mine going to school for programing... i agree tho... flash is probably the answer... but to get the transition smooth enough i'ld need around 16000 separate pictures... this might work... it would be a very long render time tho... i'm looking at about 20 min a frame...

fred_lemaster
09-14-2005, 09:01 PM
People are great at interpolating things in their heads. Why not start with the bare minimum you need, then render out inbetweens as you need them to make things smoother. That way you can have a working app up quicker. Remember you're also going to have to balance smoothness with load time. People probably won't want to wait 15 minutes to check out your model.

mindwarps
09-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Maby quicktime VR is the solution for you, Check out Cebas maxVR.qt 2.0 if you use max.

griffdrc
09-14-2005, 11:28 PM
fred_lemaster: ur right load times could be a problem... we r playing around with various images sizes, resolutions and compressions... that is a good point about the smoothness... 16200 was our first estimate... we are thinking of trying it with 1/2 to 1/3 as many to check... thanxs for ur help

mind_warps: quicktime VR looks neat... i hadn't thought of that... there are many pluses with this method... do u know if i can do this with lightwave? my other question is... it looks great for panoramas but can i make the object the pivot point instead of the camera... thanxs... i never would have thought of this

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2005, 11:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.