PDA

View Full Version : Polygon queries

darktding
09-13-2005, 04:13 AM
Here are some questions I have regarding polygons in maya...
1) 1stly when I select a faces from a polymesh and do an extract it shortens the normals of the extracted faces from the parent.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/darktding/smallernormals.jpg
Any way to prevent from that from happenening?

2) Is there any mel script out there that can cut up a polymesh into different peices?

3) In maya is there anyway to find out extra ordinatry vertices? An extra ordinary vertex is one that has 3 or 5 edges coming together. An example....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/darktding/extraordinary.jpg

Thanks in advance

harmless
09-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Here are my thoughts:

1) Try duplicating your object. Delete the opposite faces on each object. I haven't tested this but I would be surprised if it altered your normals. It sounds like the built-in extract is normalizing your normals.

2) To paraphrase, you want a script that cuts up polygons...that is pretty vague. Maya has some great built in tools for this. Try the Shatter tool (built-in) which has three methods of shattering an object. There is a set of great tools called MJPolyTools that has some incredible tools including edge loops with an attribute slider. There is also Blastcode (free demo available) which which can break up a mesh based on a texture map, or procedurally, etc.

3) Finally you wanted to determine the number of edges at a vertice. Don't forget about Maya's convert selection feature...grab the vertex, convert the selection to edges, dump that result into an array, and count the elements in the array.
if (count == 3) || (count == 5) ...

Cheers

goleafsgo
09-13-2005, 04:29 PM
For (3) you can use the polySelectConstraint command or the "Edit Polygons -> Selection -> Selection Constraints" window. In the Selection Constraints window look under the Geometry and Neighbors tabs.

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2005, 04:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.