PDA

View Full Version : ocean water finished.

anieves
11-07-2002, 01:09 PM
Here is an ocean water I worked on recently. Actually my machine finished rendering the animation sequence yesterday.

This is a frame from the animation. Added the widescreen bands quickly in Photoshop so they are not very accurate.

Eugeny
11-07-2002, 01:36 PM
Looks great :thumbsup:
Can u post the animation ?

anieves
11-07-2002, 02:00 PM
Thanks Eugeny!

I'll try to post a piece of it in my web site as soon as I can. I still need to do some compositing work in After Effects.

proton
11-07-2002, 02:03 PM
Great Image! I would also like to see the animation....very nice!

Maxx
11-07-2002, 03:30 PM
:buttrock:Nice image!

Is the horizon line done in post, or is it a set-up thing in LW? (I don't do a whole lotta outdoor stuff, so I really don't get a chance to play with the backdrop options... :shrug:)

Infinity3d4life
11-07-2002, 03:43 PM
Awesome.. wish i could do water like that...

polarman3d
11-07-2002, 04:47 PM
That looks awesome!

How did you do the sky? Is that SkyTracer? SkyGen? Matte Painting? It looks incredible...

anieves
11-07-2002, 04:56 PM
thanks for the comments guys!

If you noticed the clouds are from the only clouds picture I could get from Proton's free images.

Here is a quick rundown of how it was done. There is really nothing special about it.

skytracer environment for the water to reflect something. (Here is where the horizon comes from.)

Large subdivided poly with a crumple displacement map for the large waves
and 3 different bump layers for the smaller waves.

gradient for incidence angle in the reflection map.

added Real Fresnel to the water.

envelope to taste... that's it!

Then I composited the clouds in photoshop which I'll import into AFX for the final animation.

NY3D
11-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Im a newbie that has been trying to get water right for about 3 days now, I know it would be a pain for you to explain how you did it.But let me just say it looks great!!!!!:thumbsup:

Perambulator
11-07-2002, 07:53 PM
HIya.

Great Image.

Quick question. If you've added an incidence gradient to the reflection channel, then why add Real Fresnel as well? I thought they were both doing the same thing?

Great work though, so obviously it worked! ;-)

Rich

JacquesD
11-07-2002, 09:35 PM
Nice, I think you should make the horizon more foggy though.
IMHO the water is too saturated too.

Keep on. :)

dark_lotus
11-08-2002, 10:17 AM
I know it would be a pain for you to explain how you did it.

He says it above your msg.

I to have been attempting to get good realistic water. Great work anieves (notices you still have the avatar:thumbsup: )

dark_lotus
11-08-2002, 10:17 AM
Oh dear, it posted twice.

How'd I do that?

anieves
11-08-2002, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I guess Real fresnel would be the same as the gradient... to be honest I'm not sure. :shrug:

maybe someone with more experience with Fresnel effect can answer that question.

I can also test it once I get home today and see if there is a difference with out it.

Howzat
11-08-2002, 11:16 PM
NY3D have you seen the sample ocean scene available for download at the click graphx web site? That looks fantastic and is great to learn from.

anieves
11-09-2002, 01:53 AM
here is another one:beer:
more water! (http://www.majesticimaging.com/html/lw_watertut/index.html)

dark_lotus
11-09-2002, 02:19 AM
The Real Fresnel, and incidence gradients method of achieving Fresnel, look different.

Although I may be using the wrong values for the transparency gradients.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.