PDA

View Full Version : Character Practice

Shin Tsuki
09-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Hi all. Been a qhile since I posted in this section, but it's time I got some help again. I started this one as a quick study to help with my anatomy. I was only going to work on it for an hour and then call it done, but I started to like it, so I decided to go ahead and finish it. Here's where I am about an hour and a half into it. I'm still working on the underpainting right now.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4333/characterpracticewip14nv.jpg
So lay into it. Go nuts. Really. I can take it.

Pylon
09-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Well, I'd say it's all pretty interesting except for the face.

Also, the face doesn't fit the style of the drawing, or the personality I'd expect fromt he clothes.

r.

Shin Tsuki
09-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Ah, yeah, well i hadn't really gotten to the face yet with the first post, but i've done a little work on it since then, so tell me what you think about it now. And out of curiosity, what sort of personality do you see in the face? It might give me a bit more direction. I'm not too good with faces. Anyway here's the update. I resized the character's left arm a bit and filled out the bicep a little too. I also moved his right arm up level with the groundand fiddled with the tricep. I've got some more work to do, mostly in the face and on the right hand I think. Other than that I'm thinking he's ready for color, but if there's any thing else you can see wrong with the anatomy or structure let me know.
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4792/characterpracticewip26xh.jpg

teal-k
09-13-2005, 03:11 PM
nice job :thumbsup:
his left arm <our right> and shoulder look weird
maybe its the shoulder it seems too streched

Sketcher
09-13-2005, 06:58 PM
yes i think his left shoulder (like ur left shoulder) is a little too long. it gives the appearance that he has a really huge back and side muscles which makes it a little strange with his more toned muscle build up. thats all i have to say really, the character looks pretty cool.

Shin Tsuki
09-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Well if you both think so, then i guess it's a problem. Actually, I was sort of looking at it, but couldn't tell if it was wrong or not, so thanks for letting me know. I'll tweak that up pretty quick. And thanks, both of you for the encouragement. :)

Shin Tsuki
09-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I was pretty sure i'd get some color onto this guy tonight, but then I saw some more stuff that i wanted to adress first. I fixed the anatomy in his right arm and moved in his left shoulder, like you guys suggested-Much better now, thanks. I also did some work on the pants, hair and face.
http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/597/characterpracticewip37tr.jpg
Let me know what's working and what needs fixing or changing. Thanks all.

teal-k
09-14-2005, 08:53 PM
way much better ,still the biceps on the right arm <his left> muscle look too flat and too straight look at this maybe it can help

http://www.vicksburg.com/~lahatte/me/elbow/arminfo.jpg

budji
09-14-2005, 09:03 PM
nice character, it reminds me jean claude van damme.

Shin Tsuki
09-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Teal-k>>Thanks for the help so far. I didn't think the bicep would have much contour to it as stretched out as it is, but on that anatomy page you sent me, the arms are close to the same angle, and they still have a bit of a bulge in them, so guess I'll try some more tweaking. Should be an easy fix.

budji>>Yeah, i can see it now that you point it out. Maximum Van Damage!

Thanks guys!

PTimm
09-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the crits, but your still better at color than I am. As far as this pic goes, its comin along nicley. Although, somethin is just bothering me about 'his' left arm. the deltoid and bicept shape really looks like a rectangle, you may wanna dip the bicept in more as it goes towards the arm pit...and yeah it does remind me of jean claude van dam haha!

oh yeah, workin on those other pieces along with the reaper is a nightmare!

Shin Tsuki
09-17-2005, 12:05 PM
It's been a few days since i've worked much on this guy, but i'm back into it now. Since the last post, I've moved in his shoulder a little bit more, cleaned up his feet, and started to lay in some color (finally). I thought he'd look better if i switched from the dark pants to white ones instead, but I'm thinking of doing another version of this guy with white skin and dark, possibly, maroon pants. I think either way, I want to give him at least one prominent tatoo, and maybe some form of jewelry. Probably just an armband an a necklace, but I really haven't thought too much about it. So what do you think about this version? And are there any ideas for what color I should make the little leather armor thing around his waste? I'm not too sure about that yet.
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2303/characterpracticewip41qp.jpg

teal-k
09-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Nice ! the shoulder look ok to me now, what's with the red color? i'm guessing your going to blend it with the skin color right? also i think he looks better with dark pants , it gives him a more evil or mean look

keep working on it :thumbsup:

Shin Tsuki
09-23-2005, 03:58 AM
Hey guess what? I'm still working on this thing. Yeah, slow but steady. I've done more work with the skin and added that cloth bit on his arm. I also did a little more to the pants and added a little color to his socks. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give him a tatoo going up his left arm and coming over his shoulder onto his chest. I'm thinking chinese dragon or lion. And what do you think about making the little skirt thing the same material and color as his pants? I'd probably put a simple design on it and get rid of the metal part.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5357/characterpracticewip53yl.jpg

Morrigana
09-23-2005, 05:14 AM
It took me a while to figure out what was slightly off to me about this piece. It certainly isn't the coloring, which I like, or the cool texture and folds of his pants.

He looks slightly off balance to me. When a person is standing balanced, the hollow of their neck, that spot right where neck and collarbones meet, is above the foot their weight is on (or between them if the weight is evenly balanced). His head and shoulders are just slightly to our right of his feet, and it looks like he's either about to arch over, or just stood up from a bridge position. If his left foot were a little more towards the right of the canvas, I think he would look a little more balanced.

At least, that's what I'm seeing.

Sketcher
09-23-2005, 06:24 AM
Im definitely liking the improvements

Shin Tsuki
09-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Thanks a bunch for the comments guys.
Morrigana>>yeah, i was trying to give him a bit of an exaggerated arch, but now that you mention it maybe I overdid it just a little. Boy I'm not looking forward to repositioning that leg. It's not too bad though right...? *sigh Guess I'll add it to the to do list, but it's gonna wait till I get the rest of the color done at least.

Sketcher>>Glad you like it. Hope I can do ok on the tattoo. I'm picturing something a lot like Rebecca Pueblo's samurai chick that was up on the front page a little while ago. I'm more than a little intimidated by it.

Shin Tsuki
09-24-2005, 07:16 AM
ok, nightly update. As you can see, I finally threw something in for that thing around his waste. I also have a version where everything inside the dhite edge is black, but right now i don't think it looks as good. Maybe once the tatoo's in it'll fit more. I also did just a tiny bit more to the skin, and put the eensyest bit of color in the hair, as well as extending the hair tie a bit and cleaning up the pants some more. Oh and I did a little bit on the sandles too. I guess there's not much putting off the tattoo anymore. Unless of course there's something else you guys think I should address. And I'd love it if there was.
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/4498/characterpracticewip60yi.jpg

HellBoy
09-24-2005, 02:54 PM
he would've looked even better if he had a sword or a turban

PTimm
09-25-2005, 12:33 AM
hahahahaha, a turban would be crazy funny! Nice work so far brendan its comin a long nicely, can't wait to see the tatoos and all!

Shin Tsuki
09-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Alright. Just about done I think. The tattoo took a while but I think it looks decent. I put in an indication of a cast shadow and threw in the yin and yang from the tattoo. I'm not sure about its placement though. So now it's time to get nit picky. Give me a hand and pull out any little bits that bug you, cuz I want to make sure it's done before I submit for the finished section.
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6601/characterpracticewip74qz.jpg

as for the turban...maybe next time.

PTimm
09-25-2005, 07:31 PM
very nice, the tatoo looks awesome! only for some reason the head looks like its popping off his
upper chest (IMO) his pointer finger looks a bit thicker and longer than his middle finger, and there is a little tangent going on where the cloth on his arm 'meats' (hehe) the yin and yang. i know really nit picky crits but you axed for em. other than that you did a really nice job!

Shin Tsuki
09-25-2005, 10:36 PM
no no, nit picky's good. the finger and tangent should be easy to fix, but i'm not sure what you mean about his head popping off his chest.

So what else guys? Shadows in the right places? Did I pick the right design to go behind the guy? Do the colors work? How bout his head? Is there enough color in there? does the structure look believable? Lay it on, cuz I want this one to look as good as possible considering the somewhat boring character design.

thanks, as always.:D

Shin Tsuki
09-28-2005, 04:01 AM
Well I think I'm done now. I did a bit more in terms of adjustments and the like. And I fixed up the stomach a bit. Guess nobody sees anything else I should mess with either, so looks like that's it.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/7659/characterpracticewip81ox.jpg

BlueNyte
09-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Good job my friend. I like all the stuff you've been doing. The only thing i have to say is that the pointer finger on his right hand is a little long (or maybe it's just my pointer finger that is short).

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2005, 04:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.