PDA

View Full Version : advice: a bird spreads its wings

womanonfire
11-07-2002, 12:00 PM
I have to create a rig for a falcon. he needs to be shown spreading his wings and taking off flying. I am having trouble with understanding how to set up this rig. could anyone give some advice on the proper way to set up a bird wing? tutorials anywhere? thx.

john_homer
11-08-2002, 03:12 AM
http://www.jackals-forge.com/tutor/tut1.html
I havent had a good look at this tutorial... but I have set up wings that do what you are after, and the tutorial looks like it heads along the same line (from what 1 saw)..
I'm sure I've seen another around.... wonder where..

are you using maya??
I just finished work today (yeppie, a man of leisure) so i could have some spare time to look at it for you if you like...

if i go too long without maya i get the shakes :p

.j

womanonfire
11-08-2002, 09:17 AM
that is _really helpful of you...
but i couldn't ask you to work on this
it is something a woman must figure out on her own ;)
the tutorial gives me a good start and i need to work out the model a bit more from the looks of it but i will definitly have some questions about it soooo i might bug you later, if thats ok.
maya is a bit addictive innit :drool:

john_homer
11-10-2002, 09:13 PM
HiYa,
here is a pic of the joints I used for the wings... it looks messy as hell now... lack of planning at the start can be a real killer,now this is no falcom wing, just a cartoon birdy, but hopefully will help.
the wing had 2 layers of wings, one of them is selected.
the red circles show where I have put 2 joints in exactly the same place, these are the 3 main joints that cause the wing to flap and to fold... so each "main" joint basically has a parent and a child joint.. hmmm hope this is making sense...

I put a "wing_fold" attribute on the main (right-most circle) this drives the 3 main "child" joints to fold the wings up and lots of the other groups you can see to tweek there way into place.

so that takes care of the folding.. now the flap...

the animator will only ever see and animate 2 of the main "parent" joints, which are free of being SDK'ed because of the hirachy. the top 2 (the 3rd is too close anyway ;)
the top one drives the 2 joints below it (but not the child which is in the same place) and so on..
you will need SDKs on the feathers to get a nice spread etc.

I also added a "tip_curl" attr to get a curl on the actual feather joints that go out past the main joints.. and a flutter that runs along the tip, you can go wild with SDK on this one ;)
I found this to be the mother of all SDK setUps... oh I love the way they just add on to each other.. if you want them too ;)

hope this helps.
.j

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.