PDA

View Full Version : illusion xpresso fun

Per-Anders
09-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Just thought i'd post a pointer to my post in this thread if anyone ever wanted to make this well known illusion in cinema with (almost) any colours, i posted the scene which contains the xpresso setup to do this.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=276300

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2632511&postcount=8

http://www.peranders.com/general/abillusion01.jpg

Byla
09-12-2005, 08:17 AM
one of my fist lessions in colour theory at Uni... good 1 mdme

mmhnemo
09-12-2005, 08:20 AM
gosh i love/hate these things.

...c'm on brain - you're better than this ...

Thanks Sadie

Darter
09-12-2005, 08:32 AM
First time I'd seen this, truly amazing!

Thanks for posting the scene. Now to digest....

bobzilla
09-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the "simple math" lesson!

I REALLY should have paid more attention to the teacher in school.

But in my defense, when I was in high school, tube tops were all the rage!

Per-Anders
09-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Wow, truly awe inspiring graphics. How fantastically pointless.

I'm glad you have such a valid and in depth appreciation of Op-Art. I always thought there was quite a signifigant point to learning and exploring color theory.

Gunter
09-13-2005, 07:54 PM
:) amoeba, you know the meaning of "A" and "B" in the graph?

Bob3D
09-13-2005, 07:58 PM
I love optical illusions. I was going to do a few of those ones with the two legs that look like three (or three legs that look like two), and some variations.

ThirdEye
09-13-2005, 08:09 PM

your reply has been much more pointless, congratulations.

amoeba
09-13-2005, 08:10 PM
I'm glad you have such a valid and in depth appreciation of Op-Art. I always thought there was quite a signifigant point to learning and exploring color theory.

I never was very interested in optical art, spending time recreating it seems even more pointless. Ah the wonderful world of colour theory: Runge, Munsell, Goethe's color triangle...I use it all the time! As a freelancer how did you find it to be a "signifigant point to learning and exploring color theory"?

tuna
09-13-2005, 08:13 PM
I never was very interested in optical art, spending time recreating it seems even more pointless.[/color]

Then do everyone a favour and get out of his thread and stop trolling it up.

rebo
09-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Glad someone finally did the 3d scene for this, good job mdme_sadie.

Amoeba does your username refer to how many brain cells you have?

amoeba
09-13-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm glad this was created too, 3D graphics are now complete...Phew. I'm still laughing at the brain cell gag, there goes another rib!

Per-Anders
09-13-2005, 08:38 PM
I never was very interested in optical art, spending time recreating it seems even more pointless. Ah the wonderful world of colour theory: Runge, Munsell, Goethe's color triangle...I use it all the time! As a freelancer how did you find it to be a "signifigant point to learning and exploring color theory"?

Perhaps it's a bit fast for you?

As for your second "point" firstly take a moment to note what's written under my nick. I consider it worthwhile to contribute to the forum and community in a positive and worthwhile manner.

It's sad that I must spell this out for you, but I guess it figures: In the original thread the poster asked if it was possible to make in 3D. Several people replied (including a well known lighter) stating that they would have to do it in post or with photoshop. I replied stating that it's perfectly possible to do in 3d, and giving an example and mathematical breakdown. It does no harm to share that with the community here in the c4d area too who may not visit the general discussion forum.

I realise that to the original thread your response would have been "This is all very pointless, Who wants to know about illusions? They give me a headache!". Now if everyone responded as such to each thread about any different topic do you really think there would be a forum or community at all? It does no harm to have some social graces you know.

Secondly as any artist would tell you a grounding in color theory and constant learning and exploration throughout the life are vital, of course it's understood that you view such things as pointless.

Thirdly as a coder as well as an artist it's always good to test yourself with minor explorations as a break from other work from time to time, a change is as good as a rest, it helps you discover the holes you simply may not have realised where there in your own knowledge and fill them.

Fourth, how do you think you become a freelancer in the art world? You even claim to use some art theory, if it's so pointless for you then you shouldn't.

For me if I ever stop learning then there is no point.

Per-Anders
09-13-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm glad this was created too, 3D graphics are now complete...Phew. I'm still laughing at the brain cell gag, there goes another rib!

And your point was?

Seriously, as a "freelancer" how worthwhile was it for you to post in this thread?

amoeba
09-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Iím glad there are people like you here, making out Iím slow at every opportunity, I wish i could do that. Now you even guess what I would have said if I had answered the original post, hereís a thought, instead of guessing what I may have said, why not stick to the facts? I realise that by making up quotes may instigate others to act on your words, but try sticking to facts. Wow, youíre coder and a freelancerÖIs there no end to this mans talents?

Something else youíre wrong on, Iím NOT a freelancer, and have never said I was! A studio employs me; the reason I got the job was because I entered the interview carrying a copy of the Maxwell color triangle. This enabled me to discuss the theories of color, which was lucky, as they werenít interested in me animating a walk cycle!!!

Bob3D
09-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Oh, for heaven's sake. Stop bickering! We like it, Amoeba doesn't.

JoelOtron
09-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Why are you attacking mdme sadie? Did I miss something? I really dont get it.

If the image/project file are not useful to you, then please move on.

laiels
09-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Iím glad there are people like you here, making out Iím slow at every opportunity, I wish i could do that. Now you even guess what I would have said if I had answered the original post, hereís a thought, instead of guessing what I may have said, why not stick to the facts? I realise that by making up quotes may instigate others to act on your words, but try sticking to facts. Wow, youíre coder and a freelancerÖIs there no end to this mans talents?

Wow, Amoeba, you're complaining about people insulting you and trying to instigate you?

May I point out to you your initial response to this thread that started all the bickering.

If you're going to whine and complain about someone insulting you and instigating you maybe you shouldn't be throwing out the first punch. I mean, what did you expect after a post like that?

amoeba
09-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Before you jump to the defence of this man, look at all the times this guy has verbally abused me in other posts without any provocation from me. What is the point of this thread, itís already been answered but he feels the need to start a new thread on a closed subject.

ThirdEye
09-13-2005, 10:15 PM
First of all i never noticed anything bad done by Per towards you. Second, even if that was the truth it doesn't give you the right to troll this way anyway. Third you're ruining a thread people are enjoying, this is a public forum, not an arena. Keep it going this way and i'll have to remove your posts.

Ric535
09-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Big Dave you make me laugh :scream:

mummey
09-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Good job Per! Maybe amoeba is just confused? :shrug:

amoeba
09-13-2005, 10:22 PM
First of all i never noticed anything bad done by Per towards you. Second, even if that was the truth it doesn't give you the right to troll this way anyway. Third you're ruining a thread people are enjoying, this is a public forum, not an arena. Keep it going this way and i'll have to remove your posts.

If you would like me to give you instances of his attitude towards me, then Iíll happily do so.

Per-Anders
09-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Before you jump to the defence of this man, look at all the times this guy has verbally abused me in other posts without any provocation from me. What is the point of this thread, itís already been answered but he feels the need to start a new thread on a closed subject.

Dave, seriously now you have got to be kidding. The two times I've gotten into it with you before was when you were trolling on another thread, and I seem to recall a lot of other people were also calling you out on that too, and then when you tried to attack me in private. Not once have you been on the receiving end without some form of instigation on your part. Please learn how to behave in public, you need to get over yourself and your infatuation.

As for the point of this thread. I do not recall on cgtalk seeing another example of this illusion supplied in 3d format, nor for cinema 4d, nor with a mathematically based explanation that might be of use to 3d artists. Where was this done before Dave? When was this shared with 3D artists and the C4D community? I must have missed it (I apologise to the community if I've repeated what's been done elsewhere).. You do realise that to C4D artists example files can be useful right? You must also realise that not everyone visits all the forums on CGTalk and may therefore miss out on tidbits like this, as I said before, it doesn't hurt any to share worthwhile information.

So once again what was the point of your posting in this thread? You still haven't answered that. It seems mightily like it was a combination of basic trolling instinct and some sort of weird vendetta.

To paraphrase AdamT from another thread "if you act like an idiot all the time, don't be surprised when people treat you like one". Let go of the ego, start posting some useful stuff. I liked your post on the tire and S&T by the way, it was a good attempt at a re-start, it's sad that you couldn't help yourself. However maybe try more of that, you'll note no-one went out of their way to post derogatory comments in that thread... coincidence? I think not (ooohh-weee-ooohh).

After all if you hate this community so much that you feel compelled to only troll and post complaints then why are you here Dave? The attention?

flingster
09-13-2005, 10:54 PM
whats happening to this place.... :-(

Bob3D
09-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Somebody close this thread before someone loses an eye!

ThirdEye
09-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Someone will lose an eye soon if this forum doesn't start to behave, i had enough of threads that go down the toilet like this one.

leigh
09-13-2005, 11:35 PM
I am re-opening this thread.

Any more trolling and the perpetrator(s) will have to answer to me.

amoeba
09-14-2005, 01:30 AM
With this guy becoming a forum mod, should I take it that thirdeye wonít be requiring my examples of his behaviour? If I call enough people "slow" and extremely ignorant, misdirected and lacking in any actual knowledge can I too become a mod? I have lots of experience and learned about colour theories during my first year at Art College, I love animals and would like to rid the world of poverty. My hobbies includeÖThis isnít Nineteen Eighty Four, is it?

Tiziano
09-14-2005, 01:31 AM
In a faint effort to get this thread back to its rightful place I'll pose a stupid question:

What's the illusion I'm missing in the original post? :argh: :cry:

I've been unable to download the movie or the file but I just don't see the illusion.

Yes, I see an 'A' and a 'B' and I had 8 years in art school, 5 in the States and 3 in Florence.
That being said, we never gave modernist art a second thought and color theory stopped with Titian (hence the moniker). So please, someone enlighten me.

Edit-
Finally got the downloads to work. Still don't see the illusion :banghead:
Did notice the narrowing shadow cast by the column. I think it gets too narrow, too fast.
Clearly not the point though huh?
-Edit

Tiziano
09-14-2005, 02:15 AM
:lightbulb :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :thumbsup:

Per-Anders
09-14-2005, 02:17 AM
hi, the original illusion is that squares a & b are in fact the same color. i played around with it a bit to make an xpresso to set this up with almost any old color for the light/dark squares. some colors are more successful than others (i should have made a better one for the original post as it's not so great there). you can see the original illusion in the thread linked to.

Tiziano
09-14-2005, 02:25 AM
Thanks Per,
I was caught up in the color of the column and the shadow color.
Gestalt theory is new to me, being stuck between the 15th and 17th century as I tend to be with my art.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2005, 02:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.