PDA

View Full Version : mental and maya

lions
11-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Hi there,I'm a maya user from spain since maya 2.0 and always used maya native render until....mental ray appeared in my life!
Now I have a few questions-problems that I don't know how to answer.
First question is for an outdoor scene is it really necessary to activate global illumination or is it enough with final gathering?
How the hell works aproximation editor?
Is it still usefull the typical set up for lights,key,fill and back lights,or just with one light and bouncing it is enough?
Of course every scene needs different solutions,I know,But I speak in general,what is your expirience?
and the last two ones:
what about the shadows? raytraced or depth map? seems to work better with raytraced.
oh,and to finish,the most annoying one for me:how can i get rid of too refleting shaders? I give you an example:
my character has it's jaw too illuminated because of the shirt,if I reduce the shirt's color,I reduce the illumination on the jaw.How can I keep the color the way I want but reduce it's influence over other objects? heres a snap shot.
thanks.

http://www.liontoons.com/webtools/gordo.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.