PDA

View Full Version : Poster Drawings By 11th Door

electricsketchbook
09-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi Rebecca (and everyone,)

Rebecca, you had asked when I had the time, to post a tutorial or two on what I learned from Steve and Vern at ACCD. I will get to that when time is more generous to me.

In the mean time, I thought I would put up these poster drawings I did several years back when I taught a few small drawing classes.

The posters are all done on 2 X 3 foot newsprint paper (Rebecca, remember the paper Steve and Burne used for the in-class demos, this is the same stuff.) The Anatomy Posters were done in January of 2002 and each one took me between 4-6 hours to complete. The black and white Head Detail Posters were done in December of 2000 and only took a few hours each to do. So all of these are fairly old now.

All of the drawings were done using a set of NuPastels that I have. I took these little snapshots of the posters before I had them laminated (so I could hang them in the classroom.)

My main influences in these works are illustrators like J.C. Leyendecker, Dean Cornwell, Frank Brangwyn, as well as teachers like George Bridgeman, Steve Huston, Vern Wilson, Dallas Good and Burne Hogarth. My focus was on simplified structure in all of the drawings. The silly candy color of the Anatomy posters was done to show greater separation of muscles and to throw some color into the room. The Truncation in the Anatomy posters is for the purpose of cross section analysis.

Thanks for letting me post these, Rebecca.

Kyle
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/back.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/head_and_neck.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/arm.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/hips_and_legs.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/front_torso1.jpg

electricsketchbook
09-11-2005, 10:04 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/eye_3.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/eyes_2.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/eyes.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/ears.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/ears_2.jpg

electricsketchbook
09-11-2005, 10:06 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/faces.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/mouths.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/faces_2.jpg

electricsketchbook
09-11-2005, 10:10 PM
This is an in-class demo that I did as a lecture in front of the class. About 20-30min demo drawing (maybe a little longer, I can't remember.) Done in Conté Crayons on 2 X 3 foot newsprint. The head measures about 20 inches in height. Proportions are a little off.

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/skull_anatomy_1.jpg

Rebeccak
09-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Kyle,
Good lord, these drawings are fantastic!!! :bounce:Thanks a bunch for posting these, I think people will just hugely love these great drawings!!! :thumbsup:

Great work...off to advertise then!!!

Cheers! :)

~Rebeccak

SheepFactory
09-11-2005, 10:45 PM
damn those are nice!

Cyborgguineapig
09-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Wow some of the best I've seen for sure. Thanks for sharing these

catamount
09-11-2005, 11:28 PM
:eek: - like no other.

know where i can get names of all the muscles?

erilaz
09-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Sweet mangos, these are brilliant!:eek:
Well, i've got a lot of work to do! (goes back to the drawing board... literally)

paperclip
09-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Lovely stuff!! Are any of them from life or from casts?

'the paperclip likes!'

Kirt
09-12-2005, 12:22 AM
These are really fantastic illustrations and it would be a crime if more people didn't see them. So, I gave you a little front page thingie ... :D

nubian
09-12-2005, 12:42 AM
superb illustrations!
thank you so much!
this will help me a lot.
:bowsdown:

onlooker
09-12-2005, 01:04 AM
What size is that art board you are using? They look HUGE.
You should write a drawing book. I have tons of them. I am always looking for more too. I know a lot of other people that collect good anatomy, and drawing books too. You could make a killing.

Melstrom
09-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Nice contrasting colours give a much clearer view of these muscle groups, I'm saving them of for reference work...great stuff.

Knew I should have done some ear studies....

SPIDER2544
09-12-2005, 01:06 AM
kyle congrats on getting on the front page here

its to bad the photos dont really show how incredible the drawings really are, they are absolutly fantastic when i saw them in person during your class a few terms ago

do you know if your going to teach a figgure drawing class becuase your head drawing class was absolutly fantastic no doubt was the best drawing class at art center by far too bad i could only sit in because the class was full but it was worht showing up every friday

- jonathan scott

+disciple+
09-12-2005, 01:06 AM
nice............

motoxpress
09-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Wow. :applause:

THanks for sharing these. Anatomy is a major weakness of mine mainly because it overwhelms me but your illustrations really simplified it for me. Now if I could only identify what I am seeing :sad:

-gl

electricsketchbook
09-12-2005, 01:18 AM
:argh: :argh: :argh: FRONT PAGE!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

UUhhhmmm, I certainly didn't intend this. I am a bit shocked to be honest and overwhelmed to say the least. I am not sure I deserve a front page status but I wanted to say Thank you, Kirt (and nice job on your challenge so far.)

Hey Paperclip, good question. In response to how I work:

When I did these Anatomy images, I had my favorite couple anatomy books open and near by. These books are:

Goldfinger's "Human Anatomy for Artists"
Bridgman's "Complete Guide to Drawing from Life"
Clemente's "Anatomy"

I start by drawing the pose on a loose sheet of paper in pencil so I am not trying to solve any major problem on the big sheet of newsprint in pastel. It helps me speed up the whole experience. After I get it somewhat planned, I open up the anatomy books to check my mistakes and tighten up the muscle proportions and connections. By starting the drawing before I open the anatomy books, I keep the drawing fresh and not tied to any previously drawn image, so these aren't done from casts or studies from any other images. I take that drawing and clip it to the side of the large newsprint pad on my easel.

So then the big drawing starts. I block it in first with a light color that will erase easily if I need it to. I try not to be to married to my initial sketch, otherwise the drawing ends up looking too stiff. When the layin is complete, it is mostly just a painting by numbers kind of thing. The lighting is a simple, one light source thing, so that is easy enough to make up without needing reference. If the lighting were more complex, I would definitely need reference.

The Head Detail Studies were done using either a mirror or looking at my wifes eyes. You will notice that there are No Eye Lashes. I know it looks weird. I did that because I wanted my students to see the way the lids wrap around the eye ball without obstruction.

Wow, Thank you all for your wonderful comments to me. It really lifts my spirits high to be part of such an amazing community. :) :) :)

Take Care All,

Kyle

P.S. I will write more later, but I need to spend some time with my wife and son first. Thanks again everyone.

Chris Bacon
09-12-2005, 01:38 AM
WOW...I think this deservers to be on the main page....its a brilliant source...

incredible drawings by the way.....just amazing

LS Knight
09-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Saved and soon to be printed for deep study. THANK YOU!

meta87
09-12-2005, 01:43 AM
:eek: Wow! Those are great, thanks so much for sharing!

aaron111
09-12-2005, 01:55 AM
Great style and great color - makes me want to experiment with pastels.

AndrewHwang
09-12-2005, 02:05 AM
really great work there, love the medium and large format as well. keep up the fabulous art.

ndat
09-12-2005, 02:08 AM
They are okay, there are a few mistakes and they are a bit too stylized. Artistically they are good though :).

nachogrande
09-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Beyond the good knowledge, brilliant colours.

se7enthcin
09-12-2005, 02:14 AM
very nice contrast and style! :eek:

filipecabral
09-12-2005, 02:24 AM
good job
tks for references, amazing for study....

Mirandinha
09-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Wow! Great stuff! Congratulations on the well deserved front page. I specially like the way you highlighted the different muscle groups with different colors. This surelly will be of great help. Also, thanks for the book references. It will also come in handy :)

jtico
09-12-2005, 02:32 AM
Great work. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Maplewood54
09-12-2005, 02:43 AM
Wow, so refreshing to see an artist who is profoundly excellent at what they do. Just blown away at how well these are rendered. No crits due to the fact that I am speechless.

+ Christian Reese

Dias
09-12-2005, 02:50 AM
Very very useful, thank you very much. :thumbsup:

kuman
09-12-2005, 03:33 AM
thanks for posting these studies you did
i was actually just lookin for some clear reference for the major muscle groups
the images i had were small and no where near as clear as the ones youve posted

thanks for sharing this, it will definitely help.

good work and take care
-k

electricsketchbook
09-12-2005, 04:08 AM
Hi Everyone,

Well, I just put my little boy to bed and have a few moments before I have to visit the sandman myself.

First, I have to say that I really appreciate the response everyone has given these drawings. To be on the front page where so many amazing artist have images that I couldn't do on my best day is a privilege.

I am new to digital painting and this society has been my best link to try to improve my skills. I learn from so many of you everyday.

With that in mind, I finally decided after over a month of posting, to become a society member. I had tossed around the idea for a few weeks but this sealed it for me. I have always been an advocate for strength in numbers and I felt that it was time for me to put my money where my mouth is. I haven't checked out the members only section yet but I hope to get to it before bed tonight or sometime tomorrow.

I am thinking of doing one more of these pastel drawings and documenting the process out and posting it on the Anatomy Forum. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. Perhaps it would be better for me to just do one in Painter IX. I am pretty sure, even with my very limited knowlege of the software, that I could do a much better job if I went digital. Pastels are fun but Nupastels are kinda unusual in that not all of the colors are of the same hardness and you are always having to find replacements for colors that are too hard to use on the newsprint. Plus, modifications are so much easier to do digitally. Not to mention that I need more practise with the ole Wacom Tablet and Painter.

I want to give a big "Thank You" To Dallas Good. Without him, I wouldn't have done these. He has been a great friend for 9 years now and I never cease to learn from him. Those of you from Art Center might know what I am talking about.

Anyway folks, I better hit the hay, I gotta get my boy to preschool in the morning.

Peace Out,

:)

Daoine
09-12-2005, 04:38 AM
Wow, Kyle, absolutely superb work!!:eek: I feel like I should be paying tuition or something.
Bookmarked: Bold, uppercase... Resourced

Truly magnificent work, front page status WELL DESERVED!:applause::buttrock::bounce:

Thanks,
Daoine

anthea
09-12-2005, 05:20 AM
beautiful artwork!!

alancamara
09-12-2005, 05:53 AM
My God, it's very, very. very good.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Thank you so much. :thumbsup:

Happy Trees
09-12-2005, 06:04 AM
Deepest apreciation man.

Saved in the most precious part of my hard drive right next to rebeccas work.

Great stuff, if you get any more studies dont hesitate to post them. Your work is always welcome.

Cheers.

And good luck on digital painting Im just starting to really work on it as well.

francisvega
09-12-2005, 06:47 AM
great work man!

Very useful to model the human body. Thanks :)

Norante
09-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Good reference material, congratulations. It's truly informative and easy to follow.

AzzAnt
09-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Wow, this is cool! Will find them very useful I think!

stilian
09-12-2005, 08:40 AM
im hapy to see artists

NOOB!
09-12-2005, 08:40 AM
i dunno what else to say except wowness!!

Jadan
09-12-2005, 08:46 AM
As a fellow ACCD grad, it's good to see the principles and techniques of Burne Hogarth are still in full swing. Long live the orange dot!
For those of you unfamiliar with Hogarth, he is by far one of the greatest illustrators ever created. I suggest everyone to look him up; there is a collection of books written by him that has some amazing dynamic drawings of the human form. Great reference material.

cheers accd alum!

MrBraun
09-12-2005, 08:49 AM
No word.... simply GREAT !! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

_-_twiggy_-_
09-12-2005, 08:52 AM
As what everyone has said! Amazing work, you have exceptional talent! ..and thanks for sharing!, a great asset to many! (On my HDD!:))

:D

fooxoo
09-12-2005, 09:02 AM
:D:D:D:D NICE

AHh will study this closely, thanks for posting :D

OmeN2501
09-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Luv u for this pics ;)

loocas
09-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Just awesome!

If these were available for sale, I'd have taken one or two for sure! :buttrock:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me man! :applause:

nanopill
09-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi 11th Door,

your work is very impressive (I´m a physician at university of goettingen, germany). It seems you´re in the footsteps of the great
Frank H. Netter

Have a look:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0914168819/104-7507108-3772767?v=glance

Greetings,

nano

Spin99
09-12-2005, 10:57 PM
I think the American word for it is Awesome :D

What wonderful anatomy studies!
Made me think of the roll of newsprint I found in the storage room recently.

And Conte and print what a great choice.
I love the way you seem to combine geometric shapes with anatomy.
I really can't think of anything nicer to get poly modellers going :D

I don't know if you'll have a chance to reply, but can I ask what reference
you used for the first colour pastel studies?
I know I'll look at your back study in the future for sure.

Thank you so much for posting.

jnurp
09-12-2005, 11:11 PM
great work, and great references, it will be used for my modelling and painting
thanks again

dbastidas
09-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Hello!

Great work, very useful for the modeling.
Thanks.

Rebeccak
09-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Oh thank the internet gods! We're back online...I was beginning to have withdrawal symptoms and started twitching...Kyle, looks like you're a hit! :applause:

Cheers! :)

~Rebeccak

electricsketchbook
09-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the kind comments I really appreciate them. Thanks for the compliment, nanopill, Netter is excellent. Medical texts are a great and somewhat untapped resource for artists. Spin99, thanks for checking them out. The books I had open when drawing these are:

George Bridgman "Complete Guide to Drawing from Life"
Eliot Goldfinger "Human Anatomy for Artist"
Burne Hogarth "Dynamic Anatomy"
Carmine Clemente "Anatomy"

I start the drawings by just doing a pose either from my head or looking in a mirror and then drawing it, just so I don't end up copying straight from the books. But after that the books come out and I correct my anatomy errors and structure. Then it is off to the big drawing. I have my initial drawing clipped to the side of the drawing board so I can reference it easily and check my proportions, which seems to be the hardest part for me when doing a drawing this size (2x3 feet.)

The whole experience was a lot of fun. I intend to do digital versions soon because I have some new design ideas I want to try out.

Later all :)

pixelstalk
09-12-2005, 11:59 PM
thank u kyle , this will be a great help for those who seeking more anatomy knowledge , and i'm lookin for more posts from u ..... :thumbsup:

would u plz hit us with some tutorials ??? :blush:

creativefx
09-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Rebecca, you are doing great job, keep up the great work.

Hey Kyle,

This is Hong Ly. Long time no see! Great work by the way. I remember these back when you where teaching your classes at AC. Today I was at Artcenter and looking to see if you were teaching, but I hear you are taking a break. I lost all my contacts and I have wanted to say hello. If you get a chance could send me an e-mail and a number where I could contact you.

Keep in touch

Hong@characterdesigns.com

kwilli30
09-13-2005, 12:14 AM
Just wanted to say thank you! The color helps alot actually...I've been working on the insertion/origin of muscles a lot lately, so this is exactly what i needed!

Kevin

noen
09-13-2005, 12:18 AM
These are really nice 11th door, I can see hogarth's influence esp. in the heads.

I Use a disposable paper like newsprint or kraft paper, something I will not feel bad about tossing away. At least for me, I sometimes get too intimidated when I use expensive paper. Free your mind and the rest will follow.

carsonmorton
09-13-2005, 12:45 AM
These are going to be great reference. The different colors were a great idea.

thanks for showing these!

digitalputty
09-13-2005, 01:33 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/faces.jpg

Nice work! :O The colors are nice too. :)
The one on the top left looks familiar tho. (Not saying it is copied - just, it looks familiar to me).

:)

Rebeccak
09-13-2005, 03:29 AM
What's going on, Hong? :) It's a reunion tour, lol! :scream:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

electricsketchbook
09-13-2005, 03:30 AM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your input and compliments.

Digitalputty, (cool name by the way :) ) I suppose the reason that the one you pointed out looks familiar is that the drawing is pretty darn generic in character (I actually have a pretty generic face, unfortunately, and I didn't push any character into it.) That coupled with having been a student of Hogarth and, since his imagery is everywhere, it seems likely that it resembles his generic head model that is prevelant in all of his books. That, or perhaps someone similar with a similar generic model. None of the drawings are particularly pushed in terms of character or pose. I am glad you like them though.

HONG, I can't wait to reconnect, Man. Yeah, I am taking a break from teaching to try to actually make some art again. I have been inactive for the last 3 years in terms of creation, spending my time trying to help students make their improvements. And so, like so many teachers, I fell into disrepair, and got seriously rusty in terms of making anything myself. I became a teacher instead of an artist, which prompted me to leave teaching to pursue some unfulfilled dreams. I decided that it was time to go digital finally and to take a chance at getting a industry job. It is really what I have wanted to do. If you have some time I would love to get together. We had some fun times at ACCD and you were always a great help to me. I've heard you've done well. I'll send you an email ASAP.

Pixelstalk, I will try to find some photos that I took during the making of one of the Anatomy drawings. I'm not even sure I still have them but if I do I will post a tutorial on Rebecca's Anatomy Forum. I don't think there will be much to learn there but I will do it anyway if I have the shots. My process really isn't anything special compared to some of the people on this site, but it is an honor to be asked. If I can't find the shots, I may do another drawing of a Hand or lower leg with foot. If I do I will document that one fully and post it. That may take me awhile though, Sorry. :hmm:

Later All,

Kyle

P.S. Thank you, Rebecca, for all your help and support.

Sulla
09-13-2005, 03:31 AM
Very nice works thanks for posting them. You should do a book:)

sebcesoir
09-13-2005, 05:40 AM
I love it...
Definitevely looks like bursn Hogarth, who's I love....

harshdesign
09-13-2005, 05:41 AM
Simply great...its gonna be an awesome study for a lot of people...gr8 style too...:thumbsup:

PixelColada
09-13-2005, 06:27 AM
Kyle thanks for making these resources available. They really help me with my students. It feels good drawing again doesn't it? We've gotten the Open Workshop started and we're going to continue it next quarter, but I don't need to enumerate the obstacles we're dealing with.

Makes me want to do some anatomy studies of my own....

Looking forward to October.

iconic2
09-13-2005, 09:20 AM
I should say thank you for your posters. It is useful to me. I like drawing but don't have enough knowledge about it, (Drawing is only my interesting, I have never study it.) so I see I will learn more from your posters.
I consider it is the best poster for beginner like me.:thumbsup:

keko
09-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Thank you very much for porting them. They are very nice works 11th Door . I agree you should do a book :thumbsup:

ynvamsi
09-13-2005, 11:52 AM
ThanX Kyle, it's really usefull:love:

beelow
09-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Kyle, I heard you were coming out to Vegas, You plan on teaching out here when you come out here???

electricsketchbook
09-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey beelow,

Sheff said you were one of the hard workers out there at the school. It is good to hear because so many don't take the education seriously enough. My wife and I will be coming out in the middle of October during the weekend to visit Sheff and his wife. I will pprobably be at the school for the Saturday workshop that is starting up. If Sheff wants me to, I could bring the original posters and do a demo or something. I'll have him let you know what is up closer to the date.

Later,

Kyle

Spin99
09-14-2005, 09:20 PM
@11th Door

I almost forgot to say thank you.
It's really nice to have an idea of how you achieve your inspiring results.
So you work from both a mirror and printed reference when it comes to
muscle studies :)

I was wondering if there was maybe a plastic model for these,
since skeletons seem to be sometimes available.
So the days of dissecting corpses must have ended in the Renaissance?

Actually I remember this guy in our local class that went to medical school
and apparently did it, or so the rumour was.
Actually I was only 17 and just didn't have the guts (or stomach) lol

I'll have to look at the Hogarth books someday :)
Hope we get a chance to see your digital work someday.
Thanks again.

electricsketchbook
09-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Hey Spin99,

Back in my days as a Teachers Aid at Art Center, I used to go with the students every term to view cadavers at USC medical school. I probably went 20 times so I definitely picked up knowledge there. I don't own a plastic skeleton at this time but It would have come in handy and I think they are a good buy if you get a good quality one.

I recently met a guy at Comic Con in San Diego that has an amazing half sized anatomy model. The casts run between $200-$400 I think depending on the kind you want. I will probably get one some day. I have sculpted anatomy models in the past but never molded or cast them. I just don't have the time or money right now to go through the process. Who knows, maybe one day.

later,

Kyle

Spin99
09-14-2005, 09:53 PM
@ 11th Door

Hi again I updated above, but I'm really glad about your reply.
Feeling better now, pheww...

I suppose with good relations one could also talk Medical school
into letting one do a cast (?) I actually just lost contact.
It's probably not that easy casting something like that as well :)

Any case it seems books are much easier, and surely doing the job.
I can still just imagine the smell :argh:

electricsketchbook
09-15-2005, 12:13 AM
One thing I noticed when viewing the cadavers is that, since these are students doing the disections, the cadavers are not always so.... clean :argh: :argh: :argh:

It would be very hard to cast from as far as I can tell.

As far as my digital work, I am probably the last person on this site that you would want to see their digital work. I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet. I hope in about a year to be making something worthwhile but in the meantime I will be as active of a CGTalk member as I possibly can. :) Even if that means posting bad work and getting reamed by everyone.

Peace,

Kyle

Milivoj-Lemonade3D
09-15-2005, 08:28 AM
tnx for posting those images, greeeeat work! and tnx for taking time to answer so nicly to people's question's, we all have such benefit from your knowledge!

jmBoekestein
09-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey these are awesome 11th door, not only great ref about to be copied to my hdd.

But also a very effictive demostration of the effect of shading techniques, I noticed you had some very sharp edges in the cast shadows where the edges were almost outlined instead of gradiating towards bounced light, I noticed it a while bakc in a happy accident of mine. These will be carefully scrutinised and torn apart so to say. Big thanks and keep working, I'm profoundly eager to see your future digital works, should be very beautiful work. :)

electricsketchbook
09-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Hey jmBoekestein, thanks for posting here. I miss spending time with you all in the DSG but things have been too busy lately and I haven't even been able to start the new Challenge yet. :banghead:

You've got a good eye. Yeah, in more graphic work, I like the hard line at the edge of the cast shadow to really separate it from the core shadows in the picture. I think you have to be more careful with it in realistic works but it still seems to work well and makes your forms more solid. It is a trick of J.C. Leyendecker, my all time favorite artist.

As for my digital works, I hope to get better at that by focusing on it this year. Right now I don't really know what I am doing. I only have Painter IX and it is the program I most want to learn but there doesn't seem to be much material on learning it, at least not as much as Photoshop (which I can't afford right now.) :hmm:

electricsketchbook
09-18-2005, 03:20 AM
Hey Everyone,

I thought I would put up a detail of one of the drawings. I don't know if it helps at all but it was the only other photo that I have of the drawings that I put up. It is a detail of the arm, which was the first Anatomy poster that I did. I haven't been able to find any of the making photos anywhere but I will keep looking. :)

http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/detail_arm.jpg

electricsketchbook
09-18-2005, 04:07 AM
O.K., I actually found some old photos of how I did one of the drawings. Unfortunately, it is of the front torso drawing, which I am no longer very fond of, but oh well. I think the pictures will speak for themselves so I won't write anything in with the photos for now. If people want I will edit this post later to explain anything people want me to.

Thanks for all the interest in these drawings, it made me feel good to be of some value here for once. :) :)

Later,
Kyle

Line Drawing
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/torso_drawing.jpg

Blocking in the Color
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/torso_under1.jpg

Starting to Modulate Lighting
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/torso_under2.jpg

Refining Modulations
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/torso_under3.jpg

Finish
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/front_torso1.jpg

Rebeccak
09-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Kyle,

Great stuff, thanks for posting these! It is fascinating to see the start > finish process, so thanks! :)

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

electricsketchbook
09-20-2005, 08:30 PM
I found these progress shots of the leg anatomy poster so I thought I would put them up in case anyone would find them interesting or useful. Pretty much the same as the progress shots of the front torso but I also had a picture of the initial sketch I started with.

Later All

Initial Sketch
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/leg_toned.jpg

Line Work
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/leg_line.jpg

Blocking in Color
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/leg_first_color.jpg

Starting to Modulate Shadows
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/leg_middle_step.jpg

Finish
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Poster%20Drawings/hips_and_legs.jpg

pushav
09-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Nice work and good tips.

Spin99
09-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi 11th Door,

I already meantioned how inspiring I find your geometric anatomy :)
Well I wanted you to see some practical results on my humble poly torso (?)
Modelling has been going slow but steady, since I'm revising all my anatomy knowlegde.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273903&page=3&pp=15
(last images) Would love your comment.

I just have to get that Hogarth book someday.
Tell me does he also use block colours on his muscle studies?
Are you doing a book someday?

I'm truly enjoying this thread :)

electricsketchbook
09-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey Spin99,

Nice work on the model, it is looking good. Unfortunately, I have never done any 3D modeling work so I don't know the process very well. I enjoy sculpting and have done some work at a few toy studios doing that but I really need to get my hands dirty in the 3D computer world one of these days.

As for you Hogarth question: Hogarth's method and the one I am doing in these pictures is a little different. If you check out the REPRINTED version of Hogarth's "Dynamic Anatomy" you will see. The reprinted version includes may color photos of the original drawings where as the older versions are all printed in black and white. He did his drawing in front of the class and they only took him around an hour or so most of the time. My full color anatomy drawings took way too long to do in front of the class (between 4-6 hours usually.) Hogarth was also a hell of a lot better than I am. He is very stylised but I like that and think it is a perfectly valid way of working (it also happens to me the way I work.)

As for me doing a book: Maybe one day when I am better at drawing. Right now I think I would be doing a disservise since I am still just a student myself (not literally but in essence.)

Later,

11th

Spin99
09-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks 11th door.

If you've done real modelling you should try either Silo or ZBrush sometime :)
Silo gives you all the traditional polygon modelling tools that one is supposed to know,
and ZBrush seems to be more modern with really impressive results.

ZB uses brushes and Silo seems to be growing that way too.
With ZB you get hair brushes as well, which could be a big bonus.
Also there's the Rhino modeller if you specifically want to learn nurbs,
which some people say are outdated.

Those are the modellers I know of these days.
Then theres the full suites that include modellers as well (Maya?)

As for Hogarth I'll really have to get it sometime (REPRINT) :)
Well if you have a stylised anatomy that you've grown up drawing,
you should be really fast at it?
But if there was a detailed anatomy book with colour muscles all the way,
I know I'd want to get it.

All the best.

electricsketchbook
09-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey Spin99,

Thanks for the modeling advice. ZBrush is the program that I have wanted to learn for some time now and since it has a Mac version (which is the system I have) it makes it easier for me. Plus it doesn't cost as much as Maya. I may take the Gnomon class that they offer for ZBrush since Gnomon is only about an hour away from me.

As for Anatomy books that have a more realistic feel. I must have 20 anatomy books on my shelf. The absolute top book for me is by Gottfried Bammes and is called "Die Gestalt des Menschen." The book is all in German but it doesn't really matter because the names of the muscles are easy enough to find anywhere but Bammes drawings are second to none in terms of clarity and form. Second place goes to Clemente's "Anatomy" text book for medical students. There are about 20 illustrations in that book that are of use in terms of muscles but WOW are they amazing. If you can pick up anything by Glen Vilppu (one of my teachers) that would also be great.

Unfortunately, there is no anatomy book that is the end all of books, you need a selection.

Later,

Kyle

Spin99
09-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the book tips 11th door.
By the way...

You get a free Mac version of Silo with the Windows version.

And there's brushes coming with the new version.
It might be a little steep in the beginning,
but poly modelling is just a really different media imho.

You can even get a t-shirt?
Aren't you supposed to get a t-shirt when you finally find the treasure?
I don't mind, I'll just keep Silo all to myself :D

Cheers.

Gord-MacDonald
09-28-2005, 09:53 PM
very good drawings!!!
I esp. like the eyes

Gord

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2005, 09:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.