PDA

View Full Version : problem with normal map :(

qrt
09-11-2005, 10:56 AM
elo,
i have problem :(
i create a low poly model in max, hi poly in zbrush ,import, then i want to bake a normal map (standart process:)), but max is bakeing a wrong map:( with mesh on it ! > look
http://max3d.pl/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23394
my question : how i can turn off that mesh ?!

Miguelito
09-11-2005, 12:59 PM
That's the mirrored geometry. Fix it by moving it away...
Once again www.poopinmymouth.com for more details...

Miguelito

mindrot
09-11-2005, 02:49 PM
I also got that from overlapping mirrored uv's

Psyk0
09-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Im also having this problem, but i did move my mirrored geometry "1.0 along U" and still get the errors? i'll take another look at it.:shrug:

CataFa
09-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Try to flip you uv in one axis and you should solve the problem.

Bael
09-11-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm not a Max person, so I'm not really familiar with baking normal maps from it - but have you applied a single smoothing group to the low poly model (to average its normal) before baking the normal map? If its flat-shaded, and you bake a normal map, the rays project straight out from each face and 'miss' the areas inbetween each poly face - which can produce mesh patterns on your normal map, like that.

qrt
09-11-2005, 07:41 PM
:). thx all, i will try to fix it tomorow, THX&bye

mindrot
09-12-2005, 01:17 AM
I had the problem with a face- the left half was mirrored and sharing the same half as the right. I decided to makes each side of the face unique and put them next to each other, so they wouldn't be sharing the same UVs.

This quickly sorted the problem, though did mean that I had texture twice the size. Though there is a way around that by giving each half a unique id and flipping the normal map's red channel (X) either in photshop or in Max, which would take some time to go into here.

CataFa
09-12-2005, 09:54 AM
For my latest normal mapped character I didn't use mirrored side but I had the same problem of the wire in my normal map. I think that sometimes moving the mirrored geometry away(if you use them) or map everythings with his space doesn't solve the problem. Does anyone know why?

SHEPEIRO
09-13-2005, 12:25 PM
if the geometry is mirrored, delete one half, create normal maps, then mirror. problem sorted.

hopefully

qrt
09-13-2005, 04:59 PM
yupi
i delete a half of low poly model and max bake a corect map :] . thx all!
(when u do the same, u must klik "reset" cage > in projection modificator at low poly model)
( i also render a lighting map from hi poly model > this will be my base for texture, i import it to p.shop and paint.) > sow. thx for help and bye!
ps i will show u a result of my work....but not quick :( f\/<King school :P

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2005, 04:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.