PDA

View Full Version : Production House prefers Lightwave!

vorlon
11-07-2002, 02:05 AM
From Millimeter magazine October issue:

Zoic is producing visual effects for the new Fox show ."Firefly".

On applications they chose to produce this fast paced weekly show:

"We chose a combination of 3D packages, including May 4., Houdini 5.0, Lightwave 7.5. Our intention was to pre-viz and animate in Maya, model and render in Lightwave, and use Houdini for particle systems and procedural work. but in the end, we decided to use Lightwave for most of the CG work (Houdini was also used in certain instances), while compositing in After Effects 5.5 and Inferno 4.6, an doing our tracking wokr using Boujou 2.5..."

"It was during this period that all ship work and volume renders switched to a full Lightwave production pipeline. The realistic look of the volumetric smoke and the amazing speed and look of the hard surfaces on the ships began to streamline and sharpen our R&D work. We realize that, for our needs, the lightwave renderer was performing better than Renderman in many ways and was allowing for frequent retests and further development, due to the speed of the result"

I watched the show, the visual effects are excellent, and I had no idea it's all Lightwave animated and rendered. This article saids a lot about the strength of LW versus more pricey package in the speed of the render and the modeling ability. If they had needed to do more character animation work, they'd probably keep Maya, but for what they need to do, Lightwave fits their criteria perfectly.

Cman
11-07-2002, 02:11 AM
Well I think it's definitely cool to read this. I also think the effects in that show are quite good. I hope the writing and storylines soon matches the efforts! :wip:

LWDAVE
11-07-2002, 02:16 AM
It's an approach used at a lot of places. We've done it at Digital Domain, Dreamworks, ...sometimes Maya is like a character animating plugin for Lightwave.
Zoic was originally the L.A. Based Radium folks, with a lot of ex Foundation people there.:beer:

Mike RB
11-07-2002, 02:23 AM
Same thing here, maya is just a char-anim plug for LW. See my comment at the end of the sub-d thread.

proton
11-07-2002, 03:07 AM
I was very excited when I read that article....its great to hear stories like that...

SplineGod
11-07-2002, 04:04 AM
What was interesting was talking to Emile Smith about Firefly. Lee Stranahan has some footage going onto a DVD where Emile talks about how Lightwave came to be used on the show. Apparently Zoic was trying to go Maya and were months behind. They asked Emile to come in and and turn things around. He and several other ex foundation ppl came in with Lightwave and in a short period got the first episode done and out the door.

cerreto_hiding
11-07-2002, 04:17 AM
Shame on all of you for starting a app battle thread ! You should be practicing modeling ! rendering and animating Now get to work and post some of those i can kick maya and xsi s ass models ;)

fine print ! Personaly i find each app has its strong points ! but lw will always be my _itch !

cerreto_hiding
11-07-2002, 04:43 AM
:drool: :drool:

CTRL+X
11-07-2002, 04:48 AM
Oh Lordy Lordy Lord!!! Look at the polygons on her!!!

wgreenlee1
11-07-2002, 04:51 AM
:eek:

PotatoHead
11-07-2002, 05:28 AM
perves.....:rolleyes:

visualboo
11-07-2002, 05:33 AM
Nice........ hair... ya got there LW.

Howzat
11-07-2002, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by vorlon
We realize that, for our needs, the lightwave renderer was performing better than Renderman in many ways and was allowing for frequent retests and further development, due to the speed of the result"

I especially like the way he spoke in bold face to the interviewer to emphasise his point!

Facial Deluxe
11-07-2002, 06:36 AM
Another Article about Firefly http://www.uemedia.com/CPC/article_1719.shtml

MorBioS
11-07-2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by LWDAVE
...sometimes Maya is like a character animating plugin for Lightwave.

I loved it :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :beer:

Howzat
11-07-2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by visualboo
Nice........ hair... ya got there LW.

Man, that is a sweet pair of hairs!

Remi
11-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Lightwave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

CIM
11-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Even animals know it:

ambient-whisper
11-07-2002, 07:38 PM
so...CIM is into animals eh :shrug: :surprised

CIM
11-07-2002, 08:48 PM
No, they're into me--I'm so cool! Well, at least that's what they tell me. :hmm:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.