PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Moments - Restroom - srv

srv
11-06-2002, 10:20 PM
I think that this is an excellent challenge. I agree that body language is the most important thing in character animation. No deformations also means that I can concentrate on the best story-telling pose and not have to worry about whether the skin is deforming correctly or not.
Okay...

srv
11-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Basic outline-
Character tries to use restroom but the door is stuck and he can't get it open

Ed Hooks observations -

Empathy=Everybody has been busting to use the toilet before
convert the WANT into a NEED to make it more interseting - ie show that he really needs to use the toilet.
Chaplin- how would he do this scene? try to keep his dignity through the embarrasment, the character tries to hide the fact that he really needs to go.
Subtlety- look busy when in an embarrassing moment instead of embarrassed - don't go for the cheap laugh.
Audience is smarter than u think - do not overanimate - just a glance, subtle motion can say so much, it makes the scene resonate
Keep it honest, don't tell them what is funny with overacting
Comedy - extension of the moment, he gets so desperate that he pulls the door handle off.
Thinking leads to conclusions, Emotions lead to action
Anxiety=high, heady power centre - move from low power centre to high as he becomes more desperate.
carlos baena ed hooks notes (http://www.mclinn.net/%7Ecarlos/EdHooks.html)

srv
11-06-2002, 10:55 PM
Age - 30
Height - 5'8"
weight - 120 kg's
Gender - male
Childhood - Middle income, rural town, QLD Australia
Profession - Salesman
Dreams - to play rugby union for Australia
Morals - tries to do what's right, law abiding citizen
Health- overweight, smokes, likes a beer
Environment - medium sized city
Education - finished high school, avg student
Sex life - married for 5 years, likes to have sex after watching sport on tv
Intelligence - just enough to get him by - no Einstein
Idiosyncrasies - rubs palm of hand when nervous, frequently pulls up pants to cover stomach
Need - must go to the toilet
Body structure - heft, big, low c.g., long pudgy arms, pudgy fingers, football shaped head that is wider at the bottom than at the top
Low status- looking down a lot, touching face, uncomfortable.

srv
11-08-2002, 09:24 AM
rough poses of main character described in bio.
there is another character who will be talking on the phone while this character has trouble opening the toilet door.
BTW any links to good maya footroll ik rig tutorial.
I'm a max user but I thought that this would be a good opportunity to jump in and learn AW's baby.

srv
11-09-2002, 10:57 AM
really quick weight test.

fatguy (http://kubrick.cdes.qut.edu.au/~n2781930/fatguy.avi )
suggestions/crits?

srv
11-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Here is blocking test.
He is looking at a guy on the phone who eventually advises him to push the door rather than pull.
Is he moving too fast? I am having trouble fitting under the 15 sec limit. Is it subtle enough?
Once again, crits/comments welcome. But after last request I am not holding my breath.
blocking (http://kubrick.cdes.qut.edu.au/~n2781930/handinmouth.avi )

blakboks
11-24-2002, 05:06 PM
Looks really great...very funny...didn't see the end coming.

To me, the banging on the door...at the end, when it finally opens up...looks like he thinks someone is in there. Yet, when he first gets there, he tries to rip the door open, so, obviously he doesn't think someone is in there. But I know that he's banging on it at the end because he's upset. So, maybe instead of banging on it with just his hand, he leans against it and pounds it with his fists...kind of like a little kid's temper tantrum. Or maybe he just leans his head on it.

Later,
Chris

tjbeseda
11-25-2002, 01:19 AM
very well done.

i like your style. very cartoonish! your character is great. and the plot is funny. only i think your camera needs to be moved away from the wall a bit. its just a suggestion, but i think it will give better perspective.

i cant wait to see the final render :D

srv
11-25-2002, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
It is so helpful to get constructive criticicism

blakboks - I agree his attentions are not entirely clear at the end there. Hopefully when I add the second guy on the phone his gestures will help explain that

tjbeseda - You may be right about the camera, I've moved it a few times, its so hard to make everything read with only one camera

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.