PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Moments * Restroom* Stephen V.

Stephen Vyas
11-06-2002, 09:49 PM
Yes!! An animation contest!
Count me in...

Stephen Vyas
11-06-2002, 11:53 PM
Here's my character. Still in the works, but it's a start right? :)

http://members.shaw.ca/cgsteve/SteveCharacter.gif

-Steve
members.shaw.ca/cgsteve (http://members.shaw.ca/cgsteve)

b.Schulz
11-07-2002, 12:06 AM
looks like a cool character. can't wait to see more.

Rogue
11-07-2002, 01:09 AM
That's a cool character. I think it's just what the contest is calling for. The only thing he needs is a toe section...if you're planning on walking him, you might want to make a section for his toes so you can get the foot roll happening.

Otherwise, I wouldn't do anything else to him. It's time to set him up. Then animate for the rest of the month.

Speaking of which, I've gotta go find out what day this is over.

Stephen Vyas
11-11-2002, 02:26 AM
:) Thanks guys, glad ya like the character... Okay! time for an update..

This is how my story goes, and I hope that I can get away with doing it in this setting. (Mods: I know it's not a typical restroom, but it does contain a toilet, and it will be quite an awkward moment. Let me know if I'm crossin the boundries .email me (cgsteve@shaw.ca) )

It takes place in a prison. These two characters share the same cell, and the one on the top needs to go to the bathroom...
As he shifts around on the top bunk, the support structure gives way and slams into our good buddy, "Bubba", sleeping on the lower bunk..(bubba is not visible in this test)
I won't ruin it by telling the end of the story, so here's the first roughed out part of the animatic...

Test1 Movie (Sorensen1) (http://members.shaw.ca/cgsteve/Cgtalkcontest_test1.mov) <--Removed Due To lack of space

blakboks
11-11-2002, 02:48 AM
Very nice...looks like its coming along quickly...

I would just suggest that the support for the bed start bending when he's leaning on the edge of the bed, getting ready to jump off. Gravity is instantaneous...something else must make it fall. But it's all about the anticipation...so I'm probably just being a little too picky.

Looking nice, though...:thumbsup:

Later,
Chris

Stephen Vyas
11-11-2002, 08:19 AM
Blakboks: Thanks Chris, that's a really good idea. Don't worry about being picky, that's just what I"m looking for.

What I'll be doing is ,after I'm happy with how he's moving on the bed and throughout the scene. I'll create a rig for the support bars (With sectional geo and a few bones).. work in a little wobble effect while he's preparing to jump off, and have it snap or collapse in a similar fassion.

Cheers..
-Steve

Stephen Vyas
11-13-2002, 12:51 AM
Feeble update time..
augh.. Don't know how many bits of animation i've thrown away and I'm still not happy with the way things are going.. here's a small update anyways in hopes of generating some new ideas...
(bangs head against monitor)
Divx 5.0.2 (Files size: 604kb) (http://members.shaw.ca/cgsteve/test2.avi) <---Removed Due to Lack Of Space

MikaelPersson
11-13-2002, 01:29 PM
Nice start.
I hope you can take and translate vague sugestions and feelings into solid animation, it would take way to long to crit each frame.

Now on to the trashing, would suggest one-two seconds for us to take in the scene. Just let him lay there.
There are weight issues when he turns around in the bed to jump down. Make him lean more on his arms, not just float rotate him.

The next thing catching my eye is when he straightensa and sits back on the toilet once more. Way to much CG, need a more sagging movement and weight.
When he jumps of surprise and falls down needs some more tweaking, I would suggest him just falling down pivoting around his belly. Not moving him up in the air then falling down. I think the catch is that you´ve moved him up and down at the same speed. He should be falling down again faster.

About the bed, my suggestion would be to give us a hint of the sliding pole. Make it start sliding slowly then suddenly snap it. I think that would look more dynamic, not just snapping it.

A general suggestion, put a frame counter in your picture. It will be so much easier to point out exactly where a movement should be changed.

Sorry if I sound blunt, it really shows a promising animation, I just cut away all the ooh´s and aah´s in my comment.

//mikael :wavey:

Stephen Vyas
11-17-2002, 02:57 AM
11.16.02:
Mikael P. : Thanks for the indepth critique, I've found it quite useful. I think i've started tackling almost all the observations you've made, but it's far from done...:surprised
Here's a small update, with an added a counter to help out with the critiques. Things are still rigid and are beggin to be loosened up.. but here's an update with where I'im taking the scene.
Bubba should be involved in the next test!!

Divx 5.0.2 (Test4.avi) (http://members.shaw.ca/cgsteve/test4.avi) <--Small update added lighting and fixed a few errors.. Not enough for a new post tho.

Cheers
-Steve

Rogue
11-17-2002, 05:49 PM
I agree with Mikael P. Especially in the beginning when he's getting up on the bed. Needs some tweaking. Overall, it is looking pretty good.

I will also add that when he jumps off the toilet, he does so a considerable amount of time after it falls. He needs to be shocked just as it happens or is happening. As it is now, there is a weird delay.

I have a suggestion for the post as well. You can have the bed jar up when he jumps off and the posts land an obviously unsecure position. Then slide it slowly and snap it loose.

Looking good!

Rogue
11-21-2002, 01:55 AM
Aww man, sure it's enough for an update. I've been waiting to see the update and never realized you posted it because it just kept sinking to the bottom of the list. If it wasn't for me showing a friend some of the cool stuff going on in the challenge, I never would have known you posted a newer version. So make a post!!!

Ok, it looks like you addressed alot of the issues. It's looking good. The biggest thing that is sticking out to me now is when he falls from the tiolet....it happens a bit too quickly. He bounces around and is then just sort of slung down to the ground. The motions before and after are great, but the fall just happens too quickly, and maybe even too linearly.

When he gets up from the bed, and just before he jumps off, his left foot appears to slide around. I see it going over his right foot and then touching the bed, then moving forward over the side. But it only touches the bed for a fraction of a second, which makes it look like he's not really using it to position himself. I'd try and have him put that foot down on the bed for support as he moves his other leg over the side of the bed...or something. :) Yeah, I know, it's hard to fit all that in the time slot you have. You've squeezed quite a bit in there.

Also, his left hand does a similar thing. When he rolls over, his left hand comes around and just taps the bed, and then it pops off to another position. It's not giving any meaning to why it's touching the bed. There's no evidence of using it for support as he shifts his weight because it's jumping from position to position too quickly.

Lastly...don't forget to animate those fingers! ;)

It's looking great man. What you've got is certainly worth some praise. Just fix a couple more issues, and it's there.

And post the next update! :)

Nemises
11-21-2002, 06:53 AM
wow!..thats looking great Stephen!

I couldnt find much to crit at all...working withn that 15 sec limit without rushing the animation is quite hard eh...but I think you have paced it quite naturally.

If you did have another 30 frames or so to play with, I would probably extend the amount of time he spends on the toilet the second time...at the mo' it seems as tho he jumps back on, notices whatever-it-is, and backs up behind all in one movement...

But other than that, easlilly the best looking WIP so far IMHO!

Stephen Vyas
11-27-2002, 09:36 PM
You guys are too kind...Thanks :)

I had to take some time off, but I'm back at it again. I was doing some animation tests for a company, hopefully things will turn out ok..
I did however have time last night to block a little bit of my other character's animation as well as start to work on hand animation. I still have roughly 2 seconds of free time to work with , so it's wrapping up quite nicely..

Test5.avi <---removed due to lack of space

-Cheers

Stephen Vyas
11-28-2002, 08:26 PM
Ok, here's a lil update before I head to bed..

Awkward Moments: Restroom [Divx 5.02] <-removed due to space

Stephen Vyas
11-29-2002, 08:40 PM
Woo .. Hold on to your helmets!
Here's another update..With no more seconds to spare :)
Awkward Moments: Restroom 640x480 [Divx 1.5megs] <----removed due to lack of space

swag
11-30-2002, 12:02 AM
wau - thats great - one of the best here :thumbsup:

Rogue
11-30-2002, 11:46 PM
It looks great man!! The only thing I can crit about the animation is that he still looks like he's just flung to the floor as opposed to falling. If you could squeeze a few more frames out of it.

Other crits that don't have to do with animation and are small little things:

When he gets up from the floor and is brushing himself off, he looks over at the bed and then jumps on the toilet. It seems he would take note to the bed coming up with the guy under there and hold off on taking his dump. And sense that's what startled him in the first place, I'd figure he'd do something other than jump on the toilet. But that's just a technicality, I wouldn't worry about it as it doesn't detract form the animation.

Secondly, he looks as if he's frightened by the other guy before he has a chance to realize the other guys coming after him. Maybe you can make the other guy appear to be threatening a little sooner. Again, small detail that doesn't really detract from the animation.

Great stuff man! I've really enjoyed watching it progress. We've got an extension on the deadline. It's due on the 8th now. So you've got some more time. Other than the falling off the toilet issue, I don't see much you have to tweak. So take a break! :)

Stephen Vyas
12-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Swag: Thanks man

Rogue: Hey there.. About the flug to the floor part of the animation. I saw your post higher up on the thread stating this and you know what your probably right. The reason I've kept it throughout the updates is it appeals to me for some reason. I know that's it's not realistic, but for some reason I like it. Shrug. I guess weird little quirks like that appeal to me. Anyway moving on.. The point about him doing something else besides jumping back up on the toilet is fair. When I first started animating him, I wanted the scene to end by him getting attacked off the back of the toilet (cistern?). The most reasonable way of moving in that direction would be having him back on the toilet. Some may say I sacrificed character for comedy, but at the time the only thing I was thinking was to attempt to make the scene finish in 15 seconds and trying to show enough character to make it work. I hope this makes sense.

The second point you made, about him being frightened before there's an appearance of a threat , is something I'm working on at the moment.

I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten. I've found this forum a great resource for building experience.

Cheers
-Steve

Update
Loosened up some curves, fixed some timing issues...
Awkward Moments: Restroom [Divx5.02] (http://members.shaw.ca/cgsteve2/test8.avi)

Rogue
12-01-2002, 06:58 PM
I know what you mean by trying to get it all in 15 seconds, some things have to be sacrificed. Like I said, those last two points are minor details, don't detract from the animation, and may not be anything more than a personal opinion. So I wouldn't worry about it.

It looks like you changed the timing a bit to make the other guy appear threatening when the guy on the toilet starts to cringe.

Did you change something on the fall this time? It looks different (and better). Or am I just getting used to it. ;)

Excellent work. It's a great spot. Very well animated and reads well. It looks like you're done with it. I don't really have anything else to add (or to be a pain in the butt about. :)). Looks like the only thing left is to make a quicktime and submitting it to the challenge page!

Nemises
12-01-2002, 09:03 PM
awesome..looking SO good Steve...

I love the other guy, gives the "come on then!" look...
Like Rogue said, the timing has changed a bit, and its much improved (haveing the "bad" guy emerge from the bed werkage earlier giving the "good" guy more time to repond.

This comp has got some really great entry's!...

Stephen Vyas
12-08-2002, 04:04 PM
Final animation

Awkward Moments : Restroom [Sorensen 320x240 3.32megs] (http://members.shaw.ca/cgsteve2/230x240Awkwardmoments.mov)

Awkward Moments :Restroom [Divx 5.0.2 640x480 1.4megs] (http://members.shaw.ca/cgsteve2/test8.avi)

TRi-14
12-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Very Cool! I really enjoyed watching it over and over. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
There little roman war hats make it even cooler. very nice work :)
i think there both animated very well and there interaction with objects are smooth. what a bad day for that little fellow..keep it up!

TRi-14

muckywetnoodle
12-19-2002, 06:42 AM
That came out great! I think the shadow pattern though is too strong and makes it too difficult to see. The pillows falling is also very fast but a minor point. Looks like they are shooting through the wall at the end too. Anyways, nice work.

Stephen Vyas
01-02-2003, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys!.. For all the critiques and such. Hope to see everyone in the next challenge, in mid-january?

Happy New Year!!

CHeers :beer: :beer:
Steve

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.