PDA

View Full Version : Problem with HDD.

romanurman
09-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi!
My HDD stops spinning frequently. Usually it stars spinning again and sometimes not so that my computer freezes. Do i have a problem w/ HDD or something else?

Any help will be great ... thanks

Maven
09-08-2005, 05:51 PM
What does frequently mean exactly? Every 5 minutes or 2 hours?

Do you have the power save option on to turn off hard disks? this is under the Power management options.

romanurman
09-08-2005, 06:31 PM
When i turned computer on HDD stoped 3 times for about 10 minutes and now its working about 2 hours and doesnt stop. Power save option is turned off.

singularity2006
09-08-2005, 07:31 PM
i had that happening with my drive and it turned out to be a bad power supply. Try replacing your PSU to see if it helps. Otherwise, u may have a bad hard drive.

romanurman
09-08-2005, 08:14 PM
i had that happening with my drive and it turned out to be a bad power supply. Try replacing your PSU to see if it helps. Otherwise, u may have a bad hard drive.
Its a mysterious story because my power supply got broken 2 days ago and i've bought a new one, thinking i had a HDD problems because of it. Now i have a 350 W psu (only 1 cd-rom, 1 HDD and of course MB attached to it). Im not sure if i should buy a new HDD.

romanurman
09-08-2005, 08:19 PM
BTW ive heard that if HDD stops because of bad power supply it wont start spinning w/o a reboot. Is it true?

irieken
09-08-2005, 09:16 PM
BTW ive heard that if HDD stops because of bad power supply it wont start spinning w/o a reboot. Is it true?

Not necissarily true.

irieken
09-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Its a mysterious story because my power supply got broken 2 days ago and i've bought a new one, thinking i had a HDD problems because of it. Now i have a 350 W psu (only 1 cd-rom, 1 HDD and of course MB attached to it). Im not sure if i should buy a new HDD.

Go grab a copy of Speedfan (freeware hardware monitor) from http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

It'll allow you to view the SMART data of your HD, and that way, you might fidn that you drive is in fact bad.

Also, what kind of power supply do you have, what kind of video card, and what CPU? The label on the PSU may say 350w, but the math that the manufacturer use to get that number might be questionable.

deathman20
09-08-2005, 09:40 PM
In the past I've had similar problems like this. Where the HDD would spin up and turn off every few min. This was because powersupply issue.

What happened to me is that I had a fans hooked up to the HDD line and for some reason it was causing the issues. I later then switched the fans over to another PSU line (just another cable that wasn't sharing it with the harddrives) and it worked fine.

Sometimes just the way other equipment operates on that cable from the PSU can affect voltage changes enough to shut off equipment. Its rather annoying but might want to check to make sure your fans are seperate from the harddrives. Or if you can make sure you just have the harddrives on one of the PSU cables and all the other equipment on another.

Its possible that it could be a bad PSU but you should be experiancing other issues. A suggestion though don't let it keep shutting on and off. Its not good for the HDD and it could wreak it over time, try to figure out the issue but don't keep the computer on if its doing that, disconnect the drive at least if you can and continue working if nessisary.

romanurman
09-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks for help guys.
I've got a SpeedFan and noticed that my HDD is not ok... :sad: (going to buy a new one)

David_Web
09-09-2005, 08:12 PM
For some reason I beleve you have a WD Caviar. is that true?
I have had two Caviars go down like this :sad:
The last one just a week ago.
I would advice you not to use the disc until you have a new one to clone to (if you want to do so that is) or atleast to backup your data. Good luck.
BTW if it is the same problem like I had you will set a SMART error. but sometimes it reports the disc as fullt functional. Wery wear indeed.

romanurman
09-10-2005, 11:10 AM
For some reason I beleve you have a WD Caviar. is that true?
I have had two Caviars go down like this :sad:
The last one just a week ago.
I would advice you not to use the disc until you have a new one to clone to (if you want to do so that is) or atleast to backup your data. Good luck.
BTW if it is the same problem like I had you will set a SMART error. but sometimes it reports the disc as fullt functional. Wery wear indeed.
I have worse....IBM.

lots
09-10-2005, 02:39 PM
A deathstar? that explains a few things :P

Is it clicking?

deathman20
09-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Did you try any of what I said above? By moving some power supply lines around?

romanurman
09-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Did you try any of what I said above? By moving some power supply lines around?
Yep, i tried it and it doesnt help.
I've bought a new HDD today! :)

romanurman
09-10-2005, 07:36 PM
A deathstar? that explains a few things :P

Is it clicking?
Umm, clicking? It was making some strange noises...

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2005, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.