PDA

View Full Version : New logo design

GeckOblue
11-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Good afternoon.
I wanted to get the opinions of some other artists on a new logo i tried to whip up. The logo is for a graphic design company called :
MindS-i Aesthetic Design Co.
Please let me know what you think.
The complete logo in all its glory is here:
www.delta.edu/jtchurch/eyelogo.gif
the symbol part of the logo can be seen under my name in the corner of this post as my 'avatar'.

p.s.- the logo is not completely abstract, i tried to use some sybolism there,
see if you can pick up on it - if not i'll have to redesign it i guess. :shrug:

thanx
-GeckOblue

dmcgrath
11-06-2002, 11:25 PM
The "MindS-i Asthetic Design" is a good name, and the "I, eye" is really good for recognition. But the large A and D shouldn't be in the gothic font, it is too much of a removal from the rest of the idea, IMO. Plus you are using three different fonts for one logo. This is never a good idea. I would tend to stick to the first one that you made for the M and I. And the second one, printing the full name is acceptable, but maybe a small "S" after Mind. I read it as this at first glance.
Mind Si Asthetic Design Co.

By the way, the EYE with the brain in it is very cool.

11-08-2002, 01:18 PM
the logo of being delicate~

but i feel that u font is too big(my opinion) :shrug: :shrug:

puddlefish
11-08-2002, 01:41 PM
i have to say i don't like it (sorry!).
i'm a designer by trade so im probably a bit more fussy than must when it comes to things like this, but none of the elements (symbol, large text and company name) work together.

firstly, the logo itself is very old fashioned, it looks very eighties. i'd take a look at some successful modern logos, look at what makes them work. usually it's a simple concept and a clean, simple execution.

the large type just doesn't work. the two typefaces don't blend, and the outline treatment is a bad idea. a logo needs to be clear and concise, it needs to work at all sizes, and on all formats. this type is too confusing, you shouldn't have to work it out. if you reduce your logo to 2cm square and send it through a fax machine, it should still be clear.

finally the font for the company name looks very amateurish, it's not a font that a good designer would ever use, which leads me to wonder what kind of graphic design firm is this? surely they should be designing their own logo?

overall, my advice would be to simplify the entire thing, look at the way the letterforms work together, put more thought into your choice of font (for the sake of clarity, you should really only be using one font for this, not three), and think more about where the logo will actually be used.

sorry if this sounds harsh, it's not meant as a personal attack or a rant, it's just my professional opinion.

hope this helps.

lool
11-08-2002, 01:59 PM
YEAH~!~

AGREE TO puddlefish'S OPINION!

the elements u mixed together made it shaggy~!~

and the charactors r too big for the logo,

no classy feeling~

(sorry~~)

but what it can give us behind the logo is your thought!

GeckOblue
11-08-2002, 04:11 PM
I got some opinions of some friends of mine and they said many of the same things you all mentioned, esp. about the type. I am happy to hear someone picked up on the brain allusion inside the symbol (thanx d) and so I might develope that logo by itself further. After considering the responses i recieved regarding the overall logo, however, i will scrap all the type -the m,i and the a,d - and try for something more simple for of all the logo text.

I did some idea sketching yesterday and went a different direction altogether, so take a glance at that outcome if you like. From some of the responses it sounds as if i may be going in the wrong direction with this one, but thats ok its a work in progress, so just let me know what you think.

http://www.delta.edu/jtchurch/miadlogo.gif

as for the company status... yep you caught me puddlefish: im not so much doing work FOR the company as I AM the company. Im also a graphic design student though, so I dont feel bad asking the advice of my peers or 'design professionals' such as yourselves. So if some of it looks ameturish- thats because I am (an amature). Thats also why im here asking what you think, so keep it coming.

thanx for all the replies and feedback,
it helps.

-GeckOblue

P.S.-yeah i know, the new type isnt' much better than the old, i'll work on it.

dmcgrath
11-08-2002, 05:52 PM
No, this is not better.
I actually think that your avatar is the best idea you have so far. I would take p-fish's advice on all the font crits.
Maybe if you changed your entire iris in the avatar to a brain shape, try a side view of it as well (the brain). Because the meredian line might make the iris too much like a cats eye. .

GeckOblue
11-12-2002, 01:41 PM
Ive been working on the Minds-i Aesthetic Design (miad) logo some more.
Please take a look at the few sketches i chose to post and tell me what you think. Which ones have potential (if any), which should i develope further? which suck?
please let me know.
Thanx
-GeckOblue

http://www.delta.edu/jtchurch/m1concepts.gif

GeckOblue
11-13-2002, 01:11 AM
Heres another crack at the minds-i aesthetic design logo.
again, please let me know what you think.
thanx for the feedback.
GeckOblue

http://www.delta.edu/jtchurch/logo9a.gif

puddlefish
11-13-2002, 08:28 AM
the face drawings don't work as a logo, they're too fussy. the last one is along the right lines, but the letterforms are too unclear. remember that it's probably obvious to you what they say because you know already what they say. you have to put yourself in the shoes (eyes) of your viewer.

develop the last one more by simplifing the letters, take out any flourishes that confuse the forms, and work on integrating the symbol more.

killercrystal
11-19-2002, 08:17 AM
hi im new on here but i figured i'd give u my opinion also. im studing to be a graphic designer myself so i'll give u some advice that my teachers have given me... try shrinking ur logo down to 1.5 by1.5 & see if everything u did is still visable, thats the usual size of a logo i think. sometimes lines will disapear good thing to see before it goes to print. also i agree 1 font should be enough i like ur 1st one but the old english text doesnt seem to match. try 1 font that expreses the company weather it be playful or serious or whatever. i could keep goin but i'll stop if u'd like for me to tell u some more habits i picked up just reply on my thread.:thumbsup:

marc
12-10-2002, 02:55 PM
remember its a logo. keep it simple and clean. Its NOT full blown gfx. just a short sharp gfx. 1 font that emphasises the logo. and the font and gfx should link into the subject.

sorry a bit muddled but i'm tired its all there just read.

KINGOFPAIN
12-10-2002, 04:45 PM
:thumbsup: good job

fig
12-10-2002, 07:08 PM
puddlefish is pretty much dead-on (designer here also). of the sketches i think #5 has some potential but its got a ways to go, i can see it maybe working as a logo if it were done very cleanly and a bit abstracted in illustrator, i attached a 2 minute rough idea (which isn't anywhere near working either but it'll give you an idea). when you do a logo step back and look at it and ask yourself, is it readable immediately? do i know what this company does by looking at it? does it look professional? best advice is just to keep it simple.

for the type try something sans-serif, maybe with a bit of extra spacing to hint at a tech/design-y feel. hope that helps...

chris

Xinoz0r
12-18-2002, 01:12 PM
Hey'all..
I just wanna say that i think that your logo's are kewl... all of them...

:beer: cheers

fish_vinny
12-22-2002, 04:52 AM
the design is wonderful
but font is awful
:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.