PDA

View Full Version : Black bars in Sony DVD architect, grr (pixel aspect ratio problem)

jussing
09-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Hey all, I hope you can help.

Firstly, I'm no newb regarding square/non-square pixels (at least I think I'm not :) ).

Here's the simple deal:

I want to make a PAL video DVD
I start a new DVD project in Sony DVD architect, select the proper PAL resolution:
720*576, non-square pixels
I render my video clip from After Effects in the same PAL resolution, save as uncompressed .MOV (should fit perfectly)
When I import that clip into DVD Architect, I get black bars in the sides. (as if it's trying to show a 720 clip with square pixels instead of non-square). But there is no-where in DVD Architect I can set the clip's pixel aspect ratio.
Trying to go around the problem, I render the clip again in 768*576 (PAL with square pixels), import to DVD Architect, but I still have the black bars.
Oddly enough, the problem is worst with the correct 720 clip.

If I set the video clip's width to 704 under "Optimize DVD", the problem actually seems eliminated - but firstly, that doesn't sound like the right way to solve the problem, and secondly, that gets me a show-stopper error message when preparing the DVD files ("Couldn't write files for unknown reasons" - very informative!)

Also, I should mention, that if I render the clip as DV AVI (also 720*576), it fits the frame perfectly and nicely. However, DV AVI has nasty artifacts, so that option is not acceptable.

Arg. Any suggestions? Surely a DVD authoring application is capable of authoring DVDs without black bars in the sides?

Cheers,
- Jonas

fwtep
09-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi Jonas,
It sounds like DVDA might not be reading the pixel aspect ratio. Try loading it into Vegas (in a PAL project) and see how it comes in. You can then right-click on the video in the timeline and choose Properties-->Media to see (and set) the pixel aspect.

Or, create the MPEG2 stream from Vegas. Save the video out of After Effects in whatever native format it was created in (NTSC, PAL, etc.) as an uncompressed AVI and load that into a Vegas PAL project. Do the right-click-Properties-Media thing to make sure the pixel aspect is correct, then render it out as MPEG2 using the "DVD Architect PAL video stream" template.

And here's a link to the Vegas forum. (Actually there's a separate DVDA forum there, but I think your question fits with Vegas more than DVDA.)

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4

Fred

jussing
09-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Thank you!

As a DV avi fits the frame nicely in DVDA, I think you're right an MPEG2 stream will, too. And Vegas has lots more nice control features than DVDA, so yea, I think that's the way to go.

Thanks a lot,
- Jonas

jussing
09-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Yup, that looked like it solved the problem, allright! :thumbsup:

Still, I think DVD Architect sucks for having a flaw like that, but at least I have a workaround now. :)

Thanks,
- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2005, 02:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.