PDA

View Full Version : Lip syncing

JazzyAnimator
09-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Hello all, I'm trying to get an independent study course for lip syncing together at school for next quarter since they don't teach it now.

I have to give a proposal of week by week progression and our larger, major assignments. Was wondering if anyone with knowledge can help me with assignments.

I used 3DS Max 7.5 currently. The assignments i've thought of so far, is syncing to a song, maybe like 10-30 seconds depending on the song for the midterm, and two characters interating for the final. Between that I need smaller assignments. The only thing I can think of is obviously creating the head, which I may just do before the quarter even starts, creating phenoms (sp?) and maybe expression sheets. Maybe even have emotion/expressions as an assignment for a week, showing the major emotions.

Keep in mind we are only on a 10 week quarter system. (I'm also taking Animation Production Team, so I don't want HUGE assignments, just wanna learn the fundamentals to apply to my Senior Project.)

mttjss
09-07-2005, 07:50 PM
sounds like the assignments you came up with would be very time consuming - especially if you have never done facial animation before.

My suggestion would be to first try and teach them about the different phonemes and mouth shapes. I would also probably have something that covers the basics of modeling for facial animation. Jason Osipa's Stop Staring! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782141293/102-2643509-3914504?v=glance) book is awesome for facial animation and would be good if the school would allow students to purchase this for the class.

Next would be a simple assignment trying to do a small animation with a character ready for facial animation. Like you said I would have a pre-made character that would be good for those who don't model so well and also to save on time since you only have 10 weeks. The 10secondclub (http://www.10secondclub.net/) is a great website with monthly animation contests. The contest runs at the beginning of the month and has a 10 second clip from a movie line. This is good to do a basic animation too. Or find one that just involves one character.

Lastly - if time is available - assign a two character lip sync for a final. Or a really good lip sync or one of the students choice. I would stick to around a 10 second length and I would have the one teaching the class listen first to make sure its not out of their animation skills.

I am currently going to school and our quarters only last 11 weeks - I am sure you know as well that as a student it is very hard to learn, understand, practice and really come away with a nice piece in so little of time. Make the class and assignments based off that and don't push too much on them, just as you wouldnt want too much on your hands. And having more than one class is another obstacle.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing how it goes. BTW - what school is this for..just curious.

Matt - :thumbsup:

JazzyAnimator
09-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Sorry I didn't clarify, but I am the student for this. Myself and a friend actually. We have to make a proposal so the academic director and teacher knows what we are trying to do and so we aren't just doing nothing.

Yeah I thought about the 10 second club too, wasn't sure about time contraints though, and I don't want to make it an absolute critieria.

What school do you goto? We were on an 11 week schedule, The Art Institute of Washington, until this quarter we went on a 10 week...something to do with our head branch school...AI in Atlanta.

mttjss
09-08-2005, 11:55 AM
I go to the International Academy of Design in Tampa - really unhappy with the school. It will be nice to have a degree(BA) but the focus is not on just animation, but the overall 3d industry. We never even covered facial animation. What I have learned has been from the book I recommended and on my own.

Animonster
09-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Although this doesn't really have to do with your actual course, it may be helpful. I bought a really great book a while back that helped a lot with facial animation...it is one of the best out there that I have found so far. It covers everything from the model to the structure of the sounds and how they apply to one another in animation. Check it out:

Stop Staring: Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right™

By Jason Osipa

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2005, 03:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.