PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular 2D Entry: Sam Hogg

Zephyri
09-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Sam Hogg is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=8378)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Centaurs.. colour test
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1130969466_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2789842#post2789842)

Squibbit
09-07-2005, 05:54 PM
whahuh i thought u already entered.. no wonder i didn't see u anywhere.. :D

electricsketchbook
09-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Good luck to you. I have seen your other posts and look forward to your seeing what you will do here. :) :)

Zephyri
09-07-2005, 05:57 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126112254_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126112254_large.jpg)

Ah, the madness starts all over again. Maybe this time, with the extra days I'll actually finish!

This a quick colour concept of the moment a bride to be, seemingly in the middle of her ceremony, leaps off a huge waterfall, bridegroom and daughter trying to stop her. Still more to come though!

beelow
09-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Welcome and good luck to ya, Zepyhri, I will be waiting patiently for something from ya, holla!:thumbsup:

Rebeccak
09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Alright Zepyhri!!! Awesome idea, Good luck to you!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:Hmm, how about the guy going over the falls instead?? :scream:

Cheers! :)

~Rebeccak

Squibbit
09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
whaaat, how can they have a baby before marriage ??

NOOB!
09-07-2005, 06:01 PM
nows thats an excellent concept! keep goin!

Squibbit
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
yea pretty tricky lady there :

her : "Hey, let's get married!
him : "Sure"
at the ceremony
the priest : "tricky lady, do you take this dude as your lawfully wedd*"
her *giggling, starts running toward the waterfall*
him : hey..?

Zephyri
09-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys...

Squibbit Yeah, I'm dragging my feet on this a little, but better late than never, and you know, that exaaactly the sort of thing I'd do at my wedding! And somebody explain to this poor young man about the *cough* birds and the bees....
11th Door Thanks! Same to you in your entry.
Beelow Cheers! I should have some more stuff up soon!
RebeccaK *grin* how about I make him naked too, a good excuse to use those anatomy skills I keep picking up around here.
NOOB Coming form such an original talent as yourself, thats a real compliment! Can't wait to see what goods your mind gives us!

NOOB!
09-07-2005, 07:39 PM
i must see this further developed,if u add a black border at the top and bottom,it'll look like a movie shot....

oooooohhh,i like allot,i see her hair flying and sprinkles of water around her....or maybe tears coming from her eyes blending with the water.....

or....or...

ooooh,this is my fave concept so far in this challenge actually.

AlyFell
09-07-2005, 08:22 PM
It does feel like a movie shot! Great start Sam! I feel there are yet more ideas to come... BTW, I love the self portrait you did..The Devil Take Her. ;)

Zephyri
09-07-2005, 09:38 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126125515_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126125515_large.jpg)

Hrm.. not convinced with the portrayal of this one. Inspired by reading Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, I thought the moment where we manage to recreate the Big Bang in miniature would be pretty spectacular... but you wouldn't guess it from looking at this! *goes back to the drawing board*

AlyFell
09-07-2005, 09:46 PM
No sooner are the words out of my mouth.... This is looking cool! There's a lot of big going on round here at the moment... this is small but kind of big at the same time... er....

NOOB!
09-07-2005, 09:47 PM
maybe if they were looking at ur first concept.......

Zephyri
09-07-2005, 09:49 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126126171_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126126171_large.jpg)

This one I like... this one feels like me, I feel comfortable with this. Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen!

The scene is a group of young tribal boys come across the body of something rather unusual in their fishing net. Though this is just a rough, the spectacular bit would come in the beautiful luminescensce of the merman's skin, and all the little details of his character.

Squibbit
09-07-2005, 09:53 PM
wow you're flying, sweet! nice range of concepts too :thumbsup:

NOOB!
09-07-2005, 09:54 PM
maybe if they found ur first concept in their fishing net.......

lol joke,really up 2 u.looks nice.I still like the first concept betta and probably always will thoguh,lol.

BaronImpossible
09-07-2005, 10:55 PM
These guys need telling - never poke Poseidon with a stick when he's taking in the rays, else you'll get a trident where the sun don't shine (and that doesn't mean the bottom of the sea).

Anyhow, love the concept and the execution. Very neat. Good luck.

calisto-lynn
09-07-2005, 11:33 PM
wow!! u are filled with ideas!! way to go!!!:thumbsup: cant wait to see more i love the sketches!!:)

Zephyri
09-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys!

NOOB okay, okay.. *grin* point taken... to be honest I'm with you on that, I think that first concept could have a real wow factor if it's done right... still the ideas are coming thick and fast and I may find something else.
Aly Thanks... yeah, that was my thinking, but I would need much more work on this before I'd feel it worked.
Squibbit Cheers! Still crankin' em out now... phew, so many ideas, so little talent...
Baron Impossible Thanks Simon, *grin* and to think I'd removed the trident I originally had in the picture, maybe I should put it back in and have him looking peeved... :D
Linda I'm surprising myself here.. yesterday I was completely blank and now the ideas are coming thick and fast!

Phew! Thats it from me for tonight... my bed calls!

ace4016
09-07-2005, 11:52 PM
NIce concepts, hope you settle on something soon. Good luck:)

CodeNothing
09-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Nice narative concepts! I like the mer-person washed up on shore best. :)

Arc80
09-08-2005, 01:38 AM
First, sorry for the delay WELCOME back and good to see you here too.
Okay, i like the first idea. very interesting. A nice balance of emotional content and wide view of perspective. how bout trying to draw it in a different angle? I think that's a really strong piece, because it raises a lot of questions. The other two are good in showing facial expressions, but... i don't now. I'm with NOOB! on this. the first one really grabs my attention. Well, i'll see what you come up with. This will be interesting, hehehe.

cheers and we'll be back for more :bounce:

MichaelZHsee
09-08-2005, 02:38 AM
hie sam,nice having u,the last one is my favourite,the scene is very well captured with he cangle u have choosed,i hope the mermaid survive~
best of luck sam~have fun:thumbsup:anticipate for more

Vectorius
09-08-2005, 12:04 PM
good luck to you mademoiselle Zepyhri.:) good idea..want to see more more and more:scream: ... come back see next step.. see yaaaaaaaaa !

spacesnail
09-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Wow Sam, your last sketch is really cool :thumbsup::thumbsup: I especially like the point of view :thumbsup:
Go, go more concepts !!

Cheers

Manu

Zephyri
09-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Ace4016 thanks, you and me both!
Codenothing Thank you, I try to tell stories in most of my images.
Archie Hey! and no problem about the delay... it took me a few days to even realise there was a challenge! And I can't decide whether shwoing facial expressions will be enough to make it spectacular, a one in a lifetime event... so I'm still erring on either 1 or 3...
Sh@ke Hi Michael, good to see you here again!
Fiolka Salut et bonne chance with your entry (guess where my french vocab runs out!:D)
Manu Merci beaucoup! Et j'ai beaucoup des idées... mais pas de temps... :shrug:..

Zephyri
09-08-2005, 09:40 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126211983_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126211983_large.jpg)

Returning to the original idea while I ponder over a couple of new ones, this time trying the POV of the bride. Amazing how much story telling you do by changing the camera angle. Don't like the colours, but still undecided about everything else. It's a good job we have the extra month this time round, I'm gonna need it to bloomin' well decide what on earth to paint.

BaronImpossible
09-08-2005, 09:50 PM
I quite like this concept, although I think your composition is a bit off. If I were you I'd concentrate on the dress, make it huge a flowing and the focus of the composition.

mybutterflyiris
09-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Out of the three, I'd keep working with this idea, I think it could be really awesome!

beelow
09-08-2005, 11:14 PM
that last, painting is work really well compositionally, really good!:thumbsup:

Arc80
09-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Much better. This works quite well. Just a thought, how bout moving her closer to the camera with that nice one point perspective. so you see her expression very well and you get a nice depth of field. I'm liking the clouds too.

Well, i'll be waiting for more update. I'm still voting for this idea :thumbsup:

cheers

ChrisThatGuy
09-09-2005, 03:55 AM
I like the latest one, but it kind of looks like the groom's got too much momentum to stop at the edge.

MichaelZHsee
09-09-2005, 04:14 AM
a nice fall~her facial expression could be capture more:)coming along well overall

calisto-lynn
09-09-2005, 11:16 AM
this looks so beautifull Zepyhri!!!this scene is soo much better! its more dynamic, and more spectacular! way to go!! i love it!!!it looks so impressive!:thumbsup: :bowdown: :bowdown:

NinjaA55N
09-09-2005, 12:22 PM
hi there and good luck in this challenge :) ur concepts looks great and very different from the others. so keep up the good work!

NOOB!
09-09-2005, 01:18 PM
theres sumthin i admired more about the first view,u didn't see her face,kinda made u think,and and in the first view u where more aware that she jumping into a water fall and how deep it was.

but yeh i still like this waterfall jumpage idea,keep at it,i'll check back soon.

AlyFell
09-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I agree with Arc80; she could perhaps come closer to the camera for dramatic effect. Increase the perspective. I'm playing with that myself. I like this because it's got a story behind it... :)

R-K
09-09-2005, 02:48 PM
maybe you could move camera bit lower, would add quite a bit of dramatic qualities to this?

Nice idea.

Zephyri
09-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys... there is a great angle in that first concept, but I'm having trouble finding it, so all the thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

Baron Impossible you are certainly right... I need to study the physics of material flying about first, but once I get a handle on that, I'll certainly try the suggestion.
mybutterflyiris thanks, I think you may be right, but need to find that great shot first...
beelow not convinced yet, I think I could do better.
Archie Thanks, I shall try that, one with baron's suggestion about the flowing dress.
ChrisThatGuy Well blow me down, you are right.. *sheepish grin* I shall adjust his pose accordingly thanks!
Michael I'll probably do a couple of facial studies eventually once I settle on an overall composition.
Linda thanks!
Ninja thats good to hear, cheers!
NOOB I'm going to try a more close up shot from the grooms side too, as I think there is more emotional impact from his POV, and the fact the scenery was more.. well... spectacular
Aly Thanks, point taken in and changes expected some time soon!
Ranath One of the things I'm going to try, maybe have the groom on his knees peering over and her further into the fall...

kmest
09-09-2005, 11:05 PM
oww... they are all cool concepts....the latest one is better...good to see you here again.i liked your M.&.S work
good luck:thumbsup:

xric7
09-10-2005, 04:33 PM
hi mate,
nice to see u here.nice update.love the concept and perspective.nice pose too.:thumbsup:
will look forward to what cum next.cheers.:bounce:

TheFirstAngel
09-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Finally made it over here! Sorry hun I didn't show up earlier. I wish you best of luck and loadsa fun, burning hot strokes on your wacom to burn spectacular hot pixels! Glad my Muse joined in, go go go, hun! great to see you're in too!

THe colors look fantastic and very romantic, the palette is very nice. the Concept itself looks fun and i look forward to what you make out of it :D Ready for taking off too, go fligt!

Elsie
09-12-2005, 10:27 AM
I love your style Zephri, found your art over on Elfwood a long time ago. I think the latest update is the best concept yet...funny how half the time you end up coming back to the original idea, eh? I think more on the dress and the hair, make them really flow in the wind :D

Have to agree that I prefer the original view though - it "catches" the moment more. The second one looks like she's already falling. Good luck!

Vahn
09-12-2005, 11:53 AM
huhu Zepyhri :wip:

I like the bride idea ... but i agree with noob .. in your first comp she was more in the center and there was more feeling of depht + the emotional impact you mentioned :D

cya later

beelow
09-13-2005, 03:10 AM
just increase the perspective and bring the bride closer to the foreground, that will work just as Arc80 suggested! good luck!

Korline
09-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi there, love your concept, and the way you painting this it's so nice, great pice, good luck :)

sirBS
09-14-2005, 03:36 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126211983_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126211983_large.jpg)

Returning to the original idea while I ponder over a couple of new ones, this time trying the POV of the bride. Amazing how much story telling you do by changing the camera angle. Don't like the colours, but still undecided about everything else. It's a good job we have the extra month this time round, I'm gonna need it to bloomin' well decide what on earth to paint.

Here it is not visible where it falls.
It seems to me to choose is better other foreshortening - if in a precipice to look from top to down.

Rudeone
09-14-2005, 05:15 PM
I think it would be more interesting if you changed the pose of the bride in a sort of diving pose (frontview, arms up, pushing chest forward) , you know like cliffdivers/bungiejumpers whatever if you know what I mean, just a thought :)

Anyways, cool concept, great sketches!

ThierryS
09-15-2005, 12:22 PM
'Been looking for a red monster somewhere, not even a tiny one in the corner... nothing.
Sam's been abducted by aliens, it's not her :scream: Héhé

Great sketch, good luck on that one, I'll be watching your next posts.

Zephyri
09-15-2005, 01:57 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126789042_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126789042_large.jpg)

Argh! This challenge is driving me nuts. Its such an open topic and yet I'm struggling to come up with something..

Right, two more roughly realised concepts, the top and bottom left are the same thing, just trying out very slightly different viewpoints/poses. That scenario is something that happened in a roleplay session a while back, all just written down, but it was a pretty spectacular scenario, the lord of hell, Lucifel, is about to sacrifice Heaven purest angel to a seal which holds the powerful essence of his predecessor, when suddenly, his second in command rushes from the ranks to save the angel and in doing so knocks his leader in instead. The seal, sensing the ultimate prey (it was Lucifel who imprisoned his former boss there), leaps at the chance to devour his flesh.

And, the second, portrait concept is one of an apocalyptic future, where mass genocide takes place in a desocrated city by a nunmber of terminator-type beings, and one lone child huddles amoungst the devastation, trying to escape the ever nearing trudge of boots and weapons.

Eh... I don't know whether the first really pertains to the 'within the bounds of realism' quote in the instructions, and the second is probably a well done image... *sighs*

Zephyri
09-15-2005, 02:04 PM
kmest heheh, struggling with the concepts thus far.. but hopefully something will turn up soon!
xric7 Thanks... me too... o.O
Sacha Hey hun, no worries, I know you've been fighting the gods of smooth running machines lately! Great to see you here though!
Elsie Hi, wow, elfwood, I've not been there in aaages! Good to see people from there on here. I get the feeling I'll probably go with something else unless I can find that magic picture, the right shot... it just deosn't feel like me.
Vahn I'm very inclined to agree with both you and Noob... trying some alternative shots for that one as we speak.
beelow Thanks... will try it but probably from the groom's view.
korline Thank you!
Sergey thank you, you are perfectly right, it is more spectacular when you see where she's falling to.
Rudeone yeah, once i sort the actual angle and view point, I'll probably work on the poses more... if I go with this concept.
Thierry Lol... *grin* don't rule out the red monster just yet... I may find a way. Good to see you here!

aoisabaku
09-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey Zepyhri, love your two new concepts (as well as your old one :)).
I'm not too sure what type of drawing you're going for, but I think the two ideas are definitely focused on two very different feelings.
The Lucifel image gives a sense of awe and excitement, while the child image will probably have a sense of "quiet" fear and emotional build up. Both are spectacular in my opinion, I'm excited to see where you go with them!

Pawlack
09-15-2005, 02:54 PM
really nice and dynamic concepts. Im looking foward to see more. Good luck

Screenblind
09-15-2005, 03:10 PM
I prefer the merman (a great variation on the theme of a spectacular catch) with the (spectacular fall)ing bride a close second. I love the drawings for the next two - the pencils drew me to investigate this thread - but I don't think they fit the brief so well. Meh - just my two'penneth - good work and good luck deciding :)

xric7
09-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Eh... I don't know whether the first really pertains to the 'within the bounds of realism' quote in the instructions, and the second is probably a well done image... *sighs*

why not?;)

love the angle of ur first sketch.nice pose.
the second is look interesting too.or the bride.all are realy cool.:thumbsup:
i will turn to see what u go with.
cheers.

Arc80
09-15-2005, 09:33 PM
okay, okay. You know how i love that bride idea of yours, but if you're not going to do it, please...please...please do the angel idea. That idea sounds really wicked :thumbsup:
It'll be really interesting to see :bounce:

so my vote is either the bride idea or angel....*AHEM* do both... :p

cheers sam

Squibbit
09-15-2005, 09:52 PM
u harassing angels again, fiend ? tsk tsk ...

kmest
09-15-2005, 11:09 PM
hi sam....anywhere you see an angle,you can see me toohttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/10.gif,I always vote for them...

soooo.....go for the angles:thumbsup:

nice scetch BTW

Zephyri
09-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, right now I need it, good to hear you think the angel concept will be acceptable, cause I'm kinda partial to it.

Oh, and there was one other thing I forgot to mention as to why I'd suddenly tried something else and lost interest in the bride concept which seems to be popular. Browsing through other entries, I happened upon an idol of mine, who goes by the name KoryH here... and this is his entry KoryH's Spectacular (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=274502&page=2?t=274502&page=2). I actually recommend you see it if you haven't because it's gorgeous. So...although the actual ideas are different, I think a). his is more fantastic and b) I know when I'm outpainted, and I have no wish to even attempt to contend! Hence the new topics.

aoisabaku the difference was intentional, just to see what each got as a reaction... but thanks for your comments, very insightful!
Pawlack Thank you!
Avatarist I know what you mean, but I'm trying for an image that makes people stop and look, and I didn't really feel it would do that, perhaps there is a better way to make the image as a whole spectacular, though with that the devil would be in the details I guess.
xric cheers! I'm so confused I have no idea what I'm doing this far.. :/
Archie Yeah, the bride does sound like its the more popular idea.. but for reasons above, and the fact I really dont think it would hold my interest for 3 months, I'm putting it on ice. And I'm pushing it to get one done at this rate, let alone both!
Squibbit Me? *angelic look* never....
Kmest hehehe... thats great to hear, as I wasn't sure whether it was a relevent topic, thanks for the comments!

Zephyri
09-16-2005, 12:40 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126827616_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126827616_large.jpg)

Okay, I think this will be my final rough concept, I really need to pick a couple to explore in more detail and get on with this challenge. Final scenario, I tried to think of somethign that was slightly fantastical, but that could happen in this reality (as opposed to a place like Hell in the angel concept earlier). I love anything vaguely vampiric, so I figured you could conceivably-maybe have vampires ruling the night. So, in this case, we have a vampire lord making his last stand against the hordes of the undead trying to steal his last living victim. I've always been partial to white hair, swooshy cloaks and big moons, so here was my chance to incorporate all 3! Tell me what you think guys!

digital-bobert
09-16-2005, 02:53 AM
I like the sketch. good luck with this!

MichaelZHsee
09-16-2005, 03:09 AM
thats that one~!shouldnt be any problem with this vampiric concept.could it be done in some other era other than gothic?hehe:scream:.wish u luck with this!

beelow
09-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Damn you threw in the towel to KoryH:sad: , its all good though! I like this sketch better anyways, looking great, I will check back lata to see what you will do with this piece!:thumbsup:

Squibbit
09-16-2005, 07:01 AM

HAH! How thou mocks the fair and kind...

FrozZT
09-16-2005, 07:59 AM
I bet you like the castlevania artwork too.. :p
I love vampire scenes, i hope you go on wih this one! It looks great!

duddlebug
09-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Hi Sam! You've worked up some cool ideas so far in this thread, but i'd say the 'vampire lord' has the most potential for being spectacular! And like you said, "I've always been partial to white hair, swooshy cloaks and big moons, so here was my chance to incorporate all 3!" You should do something that's gonna be fun and still be fun when you're trying to get it in for the deadline in three months time!

Have you thought about maybe pulling the camera back to get more of the undead horde in shot? To possibly add to the 'spectacular'..? (Just as an experiment)

calisto-lynn
09-16-2005, 09:02 AM
whooooooooooooaaaa!! great work!i like this concept the most!! it will be trully spectacular!!

cant wait to see more!!the design of the guy is great!!!:drool: :drool: :drool:

LadyMedusa
09-16-2005, 09:22 AM
I like this last concep. You should go for it ;)

Zephyri
09-16-2005, 01:48 PM
heheheh.. I think you guys have convinced me... the last sketch came most naturally, so I was hoping it would go down well. The vampire lord it is then, I'm off to doodle sexy white guys with fantastic clothing. *beams*

Bobby Thanks for dropping by, best of luck with your own entry.
Michael glad to hear that finally! I was thinking of maybe making him a futuristic punk vampire lord... cyber punk vampire lord... hmmm....
Beelow Yeah, I've loved Kory's stuff since I found he was a concept artist on Legacy of Kain, and his waterfall had much more impact that mine, so I bowed out gracefully! But glad you like the recent sketch.
Squibbit *plays with her batwings innocently*
Frozzt I've heard of it, but never actually seen the artwork, if this has been heavily inspired by anything its the film Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, I adore that!
Jonny Hi, thanks for dropping in, and I couldn't agree more, the bride concept was okay, but I'd have given up on it once the figures were done. I'll try pulling the camera back, I think that'll work, or pull the view up a little more so you can see more undead behind him too.
Linda hehehe.. I thought this might appeal to you!
Lady Medusa I think I might just do that! Thanks!

TMArtist
09-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Zephyri,

Great concept you have there. The mood of the painting looks great. I be looking forward to seeing more of your work as it develops.:)

Regards,
TMArtist

element5
09-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Hiya Sam,

Some really nice concepts you have there...looking forward to you developing those ideas....:thumbsup:

FrozZT
09-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Never seen vampire hunter D.. I think Yoshitaka amano did some artwork for that one? Love his work!

Anyway, i think you might like the castlevania artwork, so here is some nice ones:

http://www.halifax.it/best/castlevania/img/art/poster.jpg[/url]
http://www.legendra.com/art/wallpapers/castlevania_hod_01.jpg (http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-chron/screens/art5.png)
[u]http://data.over-blog.com/lib/2/8/11482/pics/Images-utiles/001/001-002/ARTICLE---symphony-of-the-night/castlevania-sotn-01.jpg

theres more at http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/multi/officialart.htm

NOOB!
09-16-2005, 04:10 PM
yep i still prefer the first concept,but what can u do.

nice work.

Zephyri
09-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Ooh, Frozzt.. thanks ever so much for those links.. I know the artist, Ayami Kojima, I think her name is and I have quite a few of her pics on my desktop as inspiration, but I'd not realised it was connected with the game.

aoisabaku
09-16-2005, 05:48 PM
This picture definitely reminds me of Castlevania and Amano's work.
Check it out, might inspire you or might make you want to change your idea again. ;)
http://members.aol.com/HughSterb/reviews/drac/boxshot.gif
http://www.fukkan.com/voteadd/11950.gif

xric7
09-16-2005, 06:10 PM
wow!I do love ur latest update.Castlevania is one of my fav.:buttrock:
cheers.:thumbsup:

MechaHateChimp
09-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Im a sucker (no pun intended) for vampires:)

I think it would make for a great image. I know you just started this concept and the shot you have so far works well, but Id like to see a few different angles like you did with your other concepts. Great work and keep those sketches coming! -J

TheFirstAngel
09-18-2005, 07:41 PM
way kewl Sam, the scene has much potential. If you feel comfortable with it, go go go and bring it to life! :bounce: :buttrock: :wip:

Korline
09-19-2005, 01:26 AM
hey Sam, I like the first idea way better, It's right where supose to be on the edge,
just the opinon

:twisted:

Arc80
09-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Two things that i'm a sucker for...Angels and Vampire stories. No matter how many times you do them, they never get old to me :argh: So, i guess i'll just have to wait what you decide. Now i'm getting really excited...oooh...can't wait...more...updates :bounce:

cheers Sam

Darksuit
09-19-2005, 08:23 AM
I completely understand the running through the concept sketches. Done a number of concept sketches myself.

Zephyri
09-19-2005, 11:35 AM
TM ArtistThank you!
element5 Thanks! More development to come...
Noob I know you do... but at least you'll get to see that develop anyhow!
aiosabaku Thanks for those links... I'm working on some character sketches, I'm going to take a slightly different angle on setting and clothing, hopefully!
xric7 Thanks.. I think I'll go with this
Mecha Hate Chimp I'll probably play with angles and camera once I'm happy with the characters, as I'm definitely going with this
Sacha Thanks hun! And yeah, I think this will e fun to do, lots of swooshy cloaks and rotting flesh!
Korline I know, but as I expplained in an earlier post, KoryH is doing a similar scene, though different characters, and he outpaints me in every way! So this one will be more fun, which is what it's about.
Archie I think I'll go with the vampire, as it's 100% original for this challenge.
Darksuit Thanks, yeah, I have loads more really sketchy thumbnails that I went through about 20 ideas, trying to decide whether or not I liked them.

Thanks for all the feedback people, it's really been helpful. And now I have to go and confront one of my biggest fears, Horror video games... damn it, first spiders, now this.. what I do in the name of my art. I get really, really involved in games, I dreamed about Halo at least five times after getting addicted to it, and had to stop playing it after all I could see when I closed my eyes was the damned flood pouncing out of the darkness.. so you can imagine what playing games like silent hill or RE would do to me, I played RE on the Cube once... it gave me nightmare for weeks after, so this is not going to be easy for me! *sweatdrop*

Zephyri
09-19-2005, 11:37 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127126227_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127126227_large.jpg)

Just some quick undead sketches to try and get me in the mood while I pluck up the courage to research this...

Zephyri
09-19-2005, 11:42 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127126521_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127126521_large.jpg)

And much more to my taste, a first concept for the vampire lord. I've decided I want to do more of a modern looking vampire, a cyberpunk-goth-esque vampire lord, with glowing strips of fabric, goggles, and any number of funky leather belts, chains, bullets, spikes... etc etc, you get the idea.. and instead of the girl being flowing dresses, I was thinking gothic lolita japanese fashion style.

Squibbit
09-19-2005, 11:56 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127126227_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127126227_large.jpg)

Well, you certainly captured the beauty of the human form there, my dear,
my Hunter of the Innocent Souls, My Deathkiss, mh...

where dat halo again... *looks around*

Haloo? haaaloooo...

u know back in the time before cell phones we used to answer the phones
like that here in Finland.. "haloo?" ... and I thought it was derived from "hello"..
..live and learn... :shrug:

Zephyri
09-19-2005, 05:18 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127146703_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127146703_large.jpg)

Eugh, I have just been looking at some of the most revolting images of real flesh wounds... gotta make this look convincing, but not over the top... just the odd bit here and there and let sickly colours do the rest. I've discovered milky-fleshed zombies look rather disgusting, so I might go with pale flesh, to counteract what may well end up being a largely black and dark coloured piece. This was just a quickie test, done with a mouse on work's new copy of PS CS2, which is truly a revelation after working with 6.

TheFirstAngel
09-19-2005, 06:17 PM
your whole crew... hehe fantastic studies, sort of disgusting intriguing :) oh dear, i can almost smell the lovely taste of rotting flesh, there MUST be nicer company to enjoy eterinty though...

the vampire costume looks fantastic. Those spiky boots truely kick ass by word. fantastic details and once again your wonderfull sense for dynamics and a rich amount of details. great! looking forward to your next update with great expectations :)
keep on ricking, hun!:love: :buttrock: :applause:

ace4016
09-19-2005, 11:23 PM
For some reason, the vampire's costume reminds me of that lau sketch of yours (they don't really look alike but something about it reminds me of it). Great design, I envy you. I find the pale flesh way more disgusting then the white flesh, I say keep it:thumbsup: . Curious to see what the scene will look like.

DrFx
09-20-2005, 10:25 AM
And now I have to go and confront one of my biggest fears, Horror video games... damn it, first spiders, now this.. what I do in the name of my art.

And it's very appreciated, Sam! I love the design of the vampire lord! That zombie and the colors you chose for it... I can almost smell the rotting flesh, and it's one of those rare zombies that makes me say... eew!!! (in a good way, of course!)

element5
09-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Go Sam great drawing style, I really like the vampire lord....excellent :thumbsup:

kmest
09-20-2005, 01:04 PM
owwwwwwhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/41.gif,,great designs,,the zombies are so cool,,i'm some how in love with the top right onehttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/9.gif
and the Dark lord is soo cute..good designs,,:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Korline
09-21-2005, 07:43 AM
yo Sam, thought you'll never schow up
I like the colors, the most are you going to put him in some action,?????
like standing over some pure little dude with axe in his hand and big oll gothic castle behaind
or maybe some big ass lightning,haven't seen any really,just thinking, anyway I think tick with those colors

cheers :applause:

Zephyri
09-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Squibbit hehehe... thanks, using me in the morning as inspiration, as I look like the undead risen.
Sacha Thanks m'dear, more to come on the vamp lord, he needs to be more kick ass..
James Thanks, and you're right, they are done in a similar style to that of Lau, which rather impressed me, you recognising that. And the zombies will definitely be pasty and pale.
DrFx Glad my efforts are appreciated and that the zombie makes you go 'ewww'. It did me too..
element5 thanks!
kmest Bwahahaha.. in love with the big chunky guy hey? lol... thanks though!
Korline Got round to it eventually! Nice concept sketches you had there too. And I plan on making this as exciting as I can, but maybe have more of a futuristic apocalyptic feel to the background.

Zephyri
09-21-2005, 10:21 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127294512_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127294512_large.jpg)

Another concept for the vampire, one I'm happier with, as he looks more kick ass, and less gothic feminine. Better contrast i I decide to do the girl in that style I think. If I put the girl in at all... Right, onto the scene again. Thanks for all the help guys.

kboss
09-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Got to say i love the concept and your lines kick a$s, but when i looked at your thread i had to read through it to figure out this latest guy was a vampire... personally i think he's wearing a bit too much body armour, vampires are meant to be nigh on invincible right? maybe he should just have a patch over his heart or something... Anyway, keep on keeping on. i'll check back to see how this comes along!

Rain Tree
09-21-2005, 11:10 AM
I quite like this concept, although I think your composition is a bit off. If I were you I'd concentrate on the dress, make it huge a flowing and the focus of the composition.

I agree with Baron....I think that the Bride would so better if she were portrayed as a sorta bird, if you will...with her dress more flapping and flowing as to lend itself to a visual audeo, like that of a flag flapping in the wind might have. It is not just the force of her drop to consider in the jumpin/falling it is also the undercurrent of wind that pushes up along the walls of such steep canyons, there is also the force of the water....there are many dynamic airy qqualities to the enviorn,emt to this scene and the dress and hair should reflect more than the fall.

I also, have another thought. I do not think it is important that she looks at the one she leaps from.....he will not follow after, so there is no more need to fear. I think that if you were to take such a leap...."This is the once in a lifetime occurance in this picture" and I would be looking at everything around me....or looking within to feel it. One only takes that leap once in thier life, ya know.

I really like everyting you have posted thus far....lots of ideas, you seem to work very fast, enjoy what you are doing.

Are you still working on the Vampire Robot? I thought that was such an excelent drawing, just wow, ya know!

Rain Tree
09-21-2005, 11:17 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126789042_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1126789042_large.jpg)

Argh! This challenge is driving me nuts. Its such an open topic and yet I'm struggling to come up with something..

Right, two more roughly realised concepts, the top and bottom left are the same thing, just trying out very slightly different viewpoints/poses. That scenario is something that happened in a roleplay session a while back, all just written down, but it was a pretty spectacular scenario, the lord of hell, Lucifel, is about to sacrifice Heaven purest angel to a seal which holds the powerful essence of his predecessor, when suddenly, his second in command rushes from the ranks to save the angel and in doing so knocks his leader in instead. The seal, sensing the ultimate prey (it was Lucifel who imprisoned his former boss there), leaps at the chance to devour his flesh.

And, the second, portrait concept is one of an apocalyptic future, where mass genocide takes place in a desocrated city by a nunmber of terminator-type beings, and one lone child huddles amoungst the devastation, trying to escape the ever nearing trudge of boots and weapons.

Actually, I like the bride concept. I like both perspectives. I like the one where you are facing the bride and groom best. It is a really deep concept. It lends itself well to a double or tripple meaning as well. It is emotionaly strong. It is an image that will stir most psyches as well and make you wonder because it is relateable in a human sort of way....that is my feeling about.

I'm a little late coming onto this contest and I am still working through your thread, so, you might have already chosen something you want to focus on.

Rain Tree
09-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, right now I need it, good to hear you think the angel concept will be acceptable, cause I'm kinda partial to it.

Oh, and there was one other thing I forgot to mention as to why I'd suddenly tried something else and lost interest in the bride concept which seems to be popular. Browsing through other entries, I happened upon an idol of mine, who goes by the name KoryH here... and this is his entry KoryH's Spectacular (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=274502&page=2?t=274502&page=2). I actually recommend you see it if you haven't because it's gorgeous. So...although the actual ideas are different, I think a). his is more fantastic and b) I know when I'm outpainted, and I have no wish to even attempt to contend! Hence the new topics.

aoisabaku the difference was intentional, just to see what each got as a reaction... but thanks for your comments, very insightful!
Pawlack Thank you!
Avatarist I know what you mean, but I'm trying for an image that makes people stop and look, and I didn't really feel it would do that, perhaps there is a better way to make the image as a whole spectacular, though with that the devil would be in the details I guess.
xric cheers! I'm so confused I have no idea what I'm doing this far.. :/
Archie Yeah, the bride does sound like its the more popular idea.. but for reasons above, and the fact I really dont think it would hold my interest for 3 months, I'm putting it on ice. And I'm pushing it to get one done at this rate, let alone both!
Kmest hehehe... thats great to hear, as I wasn't sure whether it was a relevent topic, thanks for the comments!

Oh, I see your point! Scratch my other insights than.....*sheepish grin*

Elsie
09-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Those zombies are awesome Zephyri - I love the fleshy, rotting colours you've got there. Gotta admit, I did love the bride thing, but this is much more "Spectacular" as a picture. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

One thought - I think maybe a not-totally-rotten part on a couple of zombies would look really cool - like some raw muscle stretched over a cheek or a slightly bloody eyeball.

I prefer the first vampire lord though - I know it's a bit more cliche for the theme but...I dunno, I think it just fits better? The first guy looks like more scary, clever. The second guy, I could see just blasting his way in there, no cunning. And when I think of vampires, I think of cunning...

Anyway, great stuff.

P.S. Heh, I miss Elfwood, I've not been on it properly in a long long time - waiting 30 days for one picture to be added to get five comments of "OMFG, dude you totally frickin rock! Kawaii! Wheee!", and I used to get so excited. Had to delete my gallery heh, it made me cringe.

Squibbit
09-21-2005, 01:45 PM
dat gun dude one of them power rangers? :curious:

Zephyri
09-21-2005, 06:52 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127325139_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127325139_large.jpg)

Okay.. I'm trying ditching the woman, as I'm an independent female and I hate the idea of us simply lying helplessly in the arms of a lord of the undead (well, the feminist in me does, the fangirl swoons ever so slightly). So here we have the vampire - maybe bounty hunter? - in a couple of flying solo missions, both attempting to get free from the hordes of zombies running rampant about the place. I don't want to pull back much more than this because a) I like the idea of painting the guy closer up, and b) I think my patience would run low with all the damn zombies to paint. So the idea would be to show how far back they go into the distance on the left hand side of the middleground, before you hit the building structure.

birdybear
09-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Well, you have a great selection of sketches to look at. I think your latest compositions are the best thus far, and am enjoying the mass group of people below. I think I like the lower composition better as it really shows off the main characters "leaning and cape direction"... if you know what I mean? Love the big moon and can see quite a nice color palette emerging out of it (or at least some awesome lighting).

Keep going, it's really hard to keep up with you! Good luck

Zephyri
09-22-2005, 12:15 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127344556_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127344556_large.jpg)

I decided to try fleshing out the panoramic one with a little more action than the first, to get an idea of which way round I want to do it. My preference is the portrait version (which in colour wouldn't be dissimilar to my first colour concept), as the lines seem more immediate and impacting, but perhaps with a little more of the movement and action seen in the second colour version, in particular the gunfire, which I rather liked.

Hrm.. any suggestions welcomed!

ace4016
09-22-2005, 12:39 AM
If he is a vampire, I would stick with the more elegant clothes you made for him; the spikey armored one looks more bounty hunterish then vampirish (I also prefer the elegant one, too many futurustic, rough designs out there now-a-days). Make sure you show a zombie falling back as a bullet hits his head if you stick with this comp:thumbsup: . Hm, I'm wondering if a more realistic concept would be a better choice though:/.

Vahn
09-22-2005, 03:20 AM
I think the portrait version works better ... the compostion in your pencil sketch there is fantastic :thumbsup:

Leosdel
09-22-2005, 04:09 AM
hello

i like that character a lot, something vampirist i can sense and the lights are going well, the single thing is that you are trying to force some elements to appear and they might damage your composition, maybe putting them more on the background, well...keep working.

good look

Slav
09-22-2005, 04:28 AM
i really liked the 1st concept... but i think its a bit more difficult to execute then the more recent ones you upated with.

xric7
09-22-2005, 08:11 PM
wow!love ur latest update.cool character and comp.cheers.:bounce: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

elmasfeo
09-23-2005, 01:06 PM
oooh...nice night action look...the zombie looked great!
I think I like the portrait version better too, just make sure you show the guy's teeth if you want to make him a vampire, hehe :D

Those greenish buildings remind me of minas morgul in LOTR...have you tried changing the color from green to...eerm...red maybe? or some other... hey, I don't know if it would look better or worse, it's just something I would try... I think the buildings are taking too much atention right now...
I also noticed you've not included the cape you had in the last sketches...I thought it was cool...

I love how the picture is going, the colors, designs...this is going to be great!! :thumbsup:
good luck!

AlyFell
09-23-2005, 01:28 PM
There's some great work here Sam! Love the design ideas and sketches, and the Vampire theme. (You're a bit of a goth really ;) ) The last post works well compositionally; he's over to the right, but facing back into frame. How about pulling the height up ever so slightly, that might balance the weight a little more.

Its fun exploring the bits of a picture rather than starting the final composition straight away.

Zephyri
09-23-2005, 02:21 PM
RainTree thanks for all the input, and it may not be defunct yet... as I may have had a change of heart! Though I'd not necessarily agree about her looking at him... I think if Iwere about to do that, I'd be looking at everything as I was running, and then, as I leapt, I'd be thinking of him and get one final look before plunging to the abyss, so that was the last thing that stayed with me.
Elsie Well.. I'm swayed easily when it comes to changing ideas and the overwhelming feeling with this is that the bride fit the contest better, and I can always do the vampire and zombie thing at a later date. And yeah, Elfwood was the first place i displayed my art, so there's a lot of ooold embarassing pieces in there for me too!
Squibbit Damn it, and I thought he looked kinda cool... *sigh*
Crystal Thanks! I'm totally up in the air with this right now... I think I may develop both ideas (the vamp and the bride) and see which keeps my interest longest!
JamesI've given this challenge so much thought lately, and while I would probably love the zombie/vamp idea to bits, I do agre that a more realistic approach might be more in keeping to the challenge...
Vahn I'd very much agree with you, once I get a bit more motion in the figure...
Leosdel I'd be very grateful to know which elements in particular you mean... I tend to sort things like that as I get more into a painting, but it'd save e hassle if you could elaborate!
Slav Alright.... You're the one whose changed my mind about the bride. Putting it like that sparked the artistic bit in me that adores a challenge to create a better image. So I'm going to give it more of a go. Thank you for not letting me back out so easily!
xric Cheers mate!
elmasfeo Thanks! Yes, I do admit I was thinking of a still of minas morgul at the time, and you're probably right, if I changed it to red, it'd be more in keeping with the whole vampire thing too, methinks.
Aly Thanks! Yeah... I'm what I'd call a closet elegant goth... I dress up like mortisha on nights out and such, but by day you'd never know! I have to say I prefer the portrait sketch, but it depends on whether i can get everything into it successfully. But that thought struck me as I finished the sketch, about putting more sky into it

Man.. who'd have thought such an open topic would be so hard... :argh: :banghead:

Zephyri
09-23-2005, 02:27 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127482054_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127482054_large.jpg)

*slightly manic laughter* I think this is going to send me stir crazy shortly... I cannot stop thinking about this challenge!

Anyhow, madness aside, after Slav, probably quite unwittingly, threw down the challenge to the bit of me that loves tackling challenging things, I've decided NOT to throw the towel in on the bride concept. The vamp concept is good, and I'm excited about it, but this is a challenge... that means taking on things youve not necessarily taken on before. Yes, KoryH's was similar, but the narrative couldn't be much more different, so here goes, something non-fantasy!

This time, I've tried a more close up view of the groom. This feels more spectacular than the very first sketch, and I like the emotiv content more from this angle, but just incase, I'll probably try the same scene from the bride's POV.

elmasfeo
09-23-2005, 02:37 PM
I think I may develop both ideas (the vamp and the bride) and see which keeps my interest longest!
or you could make a vampire wearing a bride dress jumping off a waterfall while he shoots the zombies running for him with open arms...that would be original... sorry, I finished my exams, I'm happy and I feel like saying stupid things.

Zephyri
09-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Bwahahaha.. well.. it would be spectacular, if nothing else, but maybe just a little outside the realm of believability, methinks.... congrats on finishing your exams!

TheFirstAngel
09-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Zephyri: Hiya Hun! Brave attemp to choose a nonfantasy solution and great sketch. love the dynamics and the dramatic situation and the huge wide set. looking forward to your next steps!

elmasfeo: muahahaha! lol!

Falcorr
09-24-2005, 07:24 AM
Romantic aproach to the challenge. Not bad :thumbsup:
Do a few more concepts so i can think of better ways to improve your work. Cant think of any at the moment.

Wishing you luck!

xric7
09-24-2005, 09:36 AM
love ur latest update.nice angle and beautiful scene.:bounce:
cheers.:thumbsup:

ThierryS
09-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Hum nice sketch Sam,:thumbsup: the perspective is stronger now with the character closer to the camera. Are they staying on ground or have they also the feet in the water? The pose of the man on the leg level seems a bit too static, it seems he should be running to his bride to try and save her.

I liked the gunfire scene though. Nice sketch!

NinjaA55N
09-24-2005, 12:03 PM
hi there! after a while, Im once again stopping at ur thread and there is something to see :) Im glad u came back with ur first idea and just changed the angle of the action. I think on the better. Now the whole situation is just like we r watching the bride fading away with the groom side by side, which makes it more dramatical. Is it just like we want to grab her too. Keep going in this direction, nice job!

Arc80
09-25-2005, 06:13 AM
So the bride idea is back. It's still one of my fav. The placement of the bride is great, but i'm not so sure about the groom. I do agree with Thierry that he looks very static, but i know you're still in the concept stage so i'll wait for more. Nice colour comps though :thumbsup:

umm...the vampire idea looks tight too especially is you're doing the zombies like that :applause:

be back for more

Korline
09-25-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi Sam, thank you for stopping by,
I really like you design, but don't you think it's need some darkness, I mean she is going to croke, I love the idea and I've seen what you can do, I mean everything it's fine but it's to pale you know
I really like the idea, don't hate me for that :twisted:

beelow
09-25-2005, 09:24 AM
I would try to play with the compo some more and see what you get try different variations, flipping the canvas as well to see what results you will get, good luck to ya!:thumbsup:

Zephyri
09-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all your interest and comments, really appreciate it! I've decided to take a step back for a week or so with this, as I feel like I'm running in ever decreasing circles towards madness! I like the bride concept alot, I think it fulfils much of the challenge brief, and I'm trying to think of this as if it were a commission, not just something I wanna paint. But there is something that's really fighting me about actually painting it. It's not me, it doesn't look like something I'd do, and deep down I think thats putting me off. SO I'm going to try and think of something similar, with a touch of fantasy about it.

Sacha Thanks hun, still undecided as to whether the absolute lack of the fantastical is a good thing or not.
Falcor Thank you.. still trying to think of ways to improve it myself!
xric Cheers mate!
Thierry Thanks, the groom, now you mention it does look very static! My laziness in not finishing his legs properly, more than anything, I'd planned to have him running.
Blaz Thanks.. this is just what I was aiming for, but it still feels wrong somehow...
Archie Thank you! Yes, the bride is back... for now... until I think of something else.. :banghead:
Korline I'd disagree with you about the darkness thing, I actual like the fact it's sunny and bright, death is not always a terrible thing. If you're talking of contrast, then perhaps.. I'll see what I can do.
Beelow Thanks, I'll try flipping it, and maybe another POV too...

Squibbit
09-28-2005, 05:51 PM
haha, rainbow, funny..

but yea , if u don't like it, trash it.

Slav
09-29-2005, 01:33 AM
Slav Alright.... You're the one whose changed my mind about the bride. Putting it like that sparked the artistic bit in me that adores a challenge to create a better image. So I'm going to give it more of a go. Thank you for not letting me back out so easily!

well i guess most of the time i want to throw in the towel with my own works. but its the idea that really matters... you can always rework or even completely change the angle lighting and everything. i think there is alot of things going on in that image and there is a nice balance between close objects and those which are in open vastness.

TheFirstAngel
09-29-2005, 02:15 AM
still undecided as to whether the absolute lack of the fantastical is a good thing or not. yeah i know that hun, it keep it away much from being really fun. well my only advice i can give you on that, do what you love, so you feel comfortable, basically there still could happen some sort of a miracle to save your falling girl. :) like erm... a swarm of flying fishes or...? fairies? i had my dear troubles with the "to be believable aspect" and i hope you find your fun back on your concept here soon my dear! go go go:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !

MichaelZHsee
09-29-2005, 03:15 AM
hie sam~maybe u can try out another composition with portrait format?reality wise,this is better:)keep it coming sam:scream:

Korline
09-29-2005, 07:28 AM
sorry, that's what i ment, contrast, cause everything was to pale and was blending to each other whithout definition, I think you've got it now,
cheers

kboss
09-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Maybe i'm just a sucker for all things fantastic, but i liked the idea of the gun-toting vampire. Shame to see that one binned. In the interest of a balanced viewpoint however, the bride concept probably does come more out of leftfield and is more original. So, it does stand above other entries in that respect... perhaps you should try and do both then decide which one you prefer? (vampiresvampiresvampiresvampires...)

Zephyri
09-29-2005, 12:55 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127994940_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1127994940_large.jpg)

So much for stepping back huh? *rolls eyes*

I was discussing my dreams with someone the other day and recounted a dream in which someone very dear to me, who had passed on, came back to me in spectral form. The dream itself was very dark and full of very negative emotions, but it got me thinking. The imagery associated with the afterlife for me, has always had an element of the spectacular.. what if you could see the soul of your loved ones rising to a better place.. what if we had proof? So this is a start towards an image for that. Realistic, but with an element of the fantastic.

Also played about with colour to see what kind of mood it gives. Thoughts and comments, as ever, very much welcomed.

W-I-L
09-29-2005, 01:04 PM
thats a nice image... second one's colour scheme is the best in my opinion

Korline
09-29-2005, 11:36 PM
I really dig this concept, has a lot of meaning, and very well presented

FrozZT
09-30-2005, 12:43 AM
This could be a very powerful concept, it will also take hold of most viewers in a very personal way(since most of us has lost someone dear it makes it easy to relate to)! and about the colors.. Definitely the middle one!!

Arc80
09-30-2005, 12:59 AM
FROZ is right, a lot of people can definately relate to this one. I think a lot of us here had lost someone dear to them... Anyway, at first the second peice did grabbed my attention. I think its because of the greenish light that contrast the yellow orangish light.
But for me, i would go with the first. Personally, it fits the idea very well. The blueish colour part of the light kind of gives a sadness quite tempo to the piece, plus you have the middle as white which is tied to feeling of pure and immaculate. Then you have the green colour for the coffin, which sort of signifies earth or the physical realm... well, you get my idea...maybe i'm over thinking about the symbolism of the piece, but i think the first one in terms of colour comp is perfect for the theme :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AWESOME and WICKed concept Sam :applause: be back for more :twisted:

cheers

Ducklator
09-30-2005, 01:03 AM
for me, the best color is the first one, for the 'warm' sense:thumbsup:

MichaelZHsee
09-30-2005, 02:43 AM
all these 3 looks good to me~however if i were to choose one,i'd go for the one in the center~good luck sam~awaiting for more:)

MechaHateChimp
09-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Hi Sam,

Great idea! Im steering toward the first one in terms of lighting but I do like how youve done a little testing with other colors. Im trying to think off the top of my head how I would light this scene. Personally, I feel the colors you have going in the first are the best but I wouldnt mind seeing the spotlight from the third test dropped into the first one. I like the purples coming from that light in the thrid sketch. Its a great concept and one that would provide a very nice image if its done correctly. Im looking at your sketches now and Im sure you wont have a problem... the sketches are pretty strong to begin with.

I like the shape youre using for the spirit... I like stuff that isnt totally obvious but there with just enough to make you want to look at the image and study it more. Im definitely looking forward to your next update. -J

Xillion
09-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Let's begin from the bottom:

Third image: mistyc mood, I like violet shades, center of interest in the uprising figure.
Center image: shiny / ascent to paradise mood. interest in the uprising figure.
First image: cryptic mood/not so clear, but interesting/balanced. Focus on ... the table!

I'd go for the third (add more contrast in colors) or the first (lower the altar's value!)
None of them is bad in my opinion.

tAstyBITs
09-30-2005, 09:30 AM
The color of the light could be used as a way to discribe the nature of the spirit, say golden light for a good spirit or white for a innocent etc.

All your sketches are great. :applause:

Elsie
10-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Ah, colours my thing. Good old synesthesia. The word Afterlife makes me think of golds, reds and oranges, I connect it really strongly with Ancient Egypt too, so personally I'm most drawn towards the centre one.

The third one, the strong purples and bright blue - they're the most mystical colours, and I think probably the closest to what it seems to me you want to convey - but I'm biased against this because I hate purple. Bleugh.

I like the colours in the first one but without any really strong shades it seems a little weak.

What I'd like to see is the first one, but with orange and gold flashes in it.

TheFirstAngel
10-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Hiya Hun,

wow, how could i have missed that? Yeah sometimes dreams can push you to think about actual things in your life you have to do, can be disturbing as well as healing. Also, in your case, it has pushed you on beautifull deep and very "Sam"-like piece, wich fits now so much more to you than the former pieces.

Number one is mystical and cold, the spirit feeling in it is coming out for me great in this, but its more of a ghost appearance than a heavenly salvation feeling i get. from the lightcombination, the cold and hard feeling the scene gives, its the most powerfull of the 3.

The golden combination is nice too, illustrates well the holy light, but if golden is all over, you loose much colorcontrast wich takes away the effect.

Number3 appeals very much to me, the combination of colors is mystical deep and it has something calm and beautifull as well as great power. i love blue and purple combined with gold. it has a great ballance and is from the colorcombination my favourite.

if you want power in the scene, i'd go for 1, and if it has to be more mystical and religious touched, i'd go for 3.

keep it up Luv, your latest concept is awesome and i can't wait to see you paint it to life.
go go go my dear!

xric7
10-05-2005, 08:07 PM
hi buddy,i love the 3rd one.no reason just i love it.but another ones are nice too.great work so far.keep up something,cheers.:bounce: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Snickels
10-05-2005, 09:35 PM
I love the one with more of a purpley hue to it i think it just fits with the surroundings the best imho.

NinjaA55N
10-08-2005, 07:27 PM
very interesting new concept! Is that sketch showing a ritual of a moving soul of a death body, or its like a surprice to the guy infront? I would brefer the second idea and bring an element of surprice to the pic which would be more spectacular I guess. and what concerns the color scheme, I would go with a violet or something similar to that. good luck :)

2xbo
10-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi Zepyhri. I think the most interesting color picture from the last one, it's the second one. that one wige you the right warm enviroment. The oder ones they don't give you the real warm enviroment. The colors are to cold. You want to give to the enviroment like, you are in a situation that's coming difucult isn't it?.

Why you don't make the arm girl like it's coming sick?. That could be interesting.

Cheers
xbo :scream:

Hof
10-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Good images, i like all of them, but if I need to make a choice - I will choose the center one.

Good luck with the difficult choice and with the chalenge ;)

Zephyri
11-02-2005, 02:41 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1130942478_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1130942478_large.jpg)

Aiii... where to start! After much deliberation over whether I should just give up with this challenge and wait for the next, I was ready to throw the towel in. But fortunately, I have a certain someone who gave me a boost of motivation I needed badly!

I started doing the linework for the last image, and I could feel my enthusiasm waning. Nothing bores me to tears worse than architecture and straight lines. Even fancy gothic architecture... I'm still kinda drawn to the idea, but I know it will more than likely turn into a chore.

So here's my newest thoughts, boosted by the fact there does seem to be a lot of fantasy pieces about, I've gone back to the fantastical, and had an idea about a battle between humans and centaurs. These are just initial character/ scene ideas. I'm drawn to the idea of a snowy scene again, but there's more potential in a more african looking scene, with centaurs based off african deer, like spring boks and gemboks (the smaller sketches).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated right now, as I need to settle on something soon, if I am to finish. Comment on all the ideas in this thread, if you so like, I'm open to all suggestions, which idea do you like best? (excepting the bride, as I've scrapped that for definite) - the vampire lord? The church scene, or the centaur?

*tears hair out*

Zephyri
11-02-2005, 02:44 PM
And thanks for all your comments so far guys...

sirBS
11-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Very nice sketches!

The idea with centaurs in my opinion is better. It very perspective. Work can be very dynamical, but it and is much more complex in execution. Though if at you at the disposal of many time - you will be in time!

Slav
11-02-2005, 07:31 PM
HEHEHE if you dont like your concept get rid of everything that doesnt work .. in your case it was as extreme as i have seen :P

great sketches... yet again :D

Arc80
11-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Whoa... WICKED sketches. I particularly love the ones on the bottom of the pages. The design of those centaurs looks very original. THis will be very much fun to see where you take it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well, will come back again to see more updates and happy that you are back and drawing with your wacom :bounce:

cheers

tAstyBITs
11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Following your feelings is the most important thing a artist can do.

I like the new direction.

Zephyri
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1130969466_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8378/8378_1130969466_large.jpg)

The reaction to the centaur idea seem positive so far, and doing this colour test has given me more impetus to keep going with it. I kind of like the composition, and I really like the idea of having that one illuminated patch of sunlight, with the smoke and dust providing a bit of ambient bounced light, counteracted by the bluer shadows where the sky's light gets through. Lots of lovely colours! I'm thinking the position of the figured could be improved on maybe.. would one larger centaur figure as a focus be better than the two? (as in the first pencil sketch?)

Zephyri
11-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Sergey Thanks, I think you're right... it might be harder to pull off, but the end result will really be worth it
Slav Heheheh.. must be the woman thing kicking in... like "oh my god.. I hate EVERYTHING.. I have to start again!" Gotta go with what you feel I figure.
Archie Cheers! Yeah.. took a big break from this site in general, concentrated on traditional media, but I'm ready to tackle it now, thanks to a bit of motivational talking from Sacha!
Tastybits I absolutely couldn't agree more, and with me, even more so, if my soul's not in a piece it just becomes mediocre, and I can't stand that.

Arc80
11-03-2005, 05:35 AM
WICKEd, love the colours and the gestures of the centaurs. In terms of the centaurs size, i personally like them at that size. I was thinking more of one of the humans to be more at the foreground. Be back for more and see how you approach the final composition.

AWESOME so far :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
cheers

makaron
11-03-2005, 09:09 AM
I like the idea about 2 of them :) and the colors are just :thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
11-04-2005, 06:54 AM
wowow! how could i have missed that? now thats a most beautifull update, i hope so much you stick with it and finally join the race again! colors: fantastic, composition, powerfull and dynamic, characterdesign, absolutely awesome, what can i say? go Sam, go my lady!

ace4016
11-05-2005, 01:14 AM
I like the idea of the centaurs (in Africa?). Would look great if it is in Africa. It's a bit confusing right now what is going on, but i get the general idea. Hope to see updates on this soon.

Zephyri
11-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Damn it. I really wanted not to have to give this up, as I was just starting to get to grips with something. But I know, from the previous challenge, that I simply won't finish it to a level I'd be happy with in time, and I have a hundred other things that get me more excited to work on, so I'm calling it quits. It's been an experience, but I shall bid you adieu, and throw myself into something else (like finishing my master and servant!!). Till next time! (and hopefully a theme that I can actually figure). Thanks to everyone who's commented here... I hope I've not disappointed anyone. :argh:

TheFirstAngel
11-28-2005, 04:06 PM
ahrgh, you cannot do that!!! i also am working from the scratch here and its still a week left you could finnish it! You can do it hunny! Its such a great piece with winnig potential, pls, keep fighting! :love: :cry: :banghead: :bounce:

Squibbit
11-28-2005, 04:20 PM
nice sketch, good colors

ah , i dunno if i'm able to carry on till the end if u finish , tho :sad:

beelow
11-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Man, that sucks, :sad: good luck, hope to see you in the next contest, you will start fresh brand new, I'll holla!:thumbsup:

duddlebug
11-29-2005, 12:42 PM
But... but... but...

:cry:

haha... i can completely understand. I've had a few of those moments over the last week or two with everything else that's going on in my life. I'm hoping i can just wing it till tuesday and produce something worth submitting!

The centaurs look very promising though. Do you think you'll finish them after your master and servant?

I think we need CGS to give us a headstart on everyone else. It'd be the only fair solution. It's not that we need more time, it's just that other stuff gets in the way. :)

Pat-Piper
11-29-2005, 03:43 PM
I have a suggestion...submit what you have now! It already looks great and better than a lot of heavily detailed work I've seen. The colors are awesome and I just cannot look away from it!

Of course, I know being an artist, it's difficult to do that, submitting something we are not happy with or feel is unfinished. Sigh....it's sad that quick gestural work are always overlooked by most people or overshadowed by photo-real illustrations, at least in the way that I think the entries will be judged to quite an extent. Just look at past challenges.

Anyway...I think you did great work and look forward to the next challenge to see more of it.

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2005, 03:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.