PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Camera Attributes (Optics)

wabash
09-07-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm looking for is a script addition to the camera attributes like the angle of view and Focal lenth slider. I would like a slider that pinches or pulls the outer specified corners of the lens.
Looking for a way to preview lens distortion.

Any ideas?

soopagenius
09-07-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm looking for is a script addition to the camera attributes like the angle of view and Focal lenth slider. I would like a slider that pinches or pulls the outer specified corners of the lens.
Looking for a way to preview lens distortion.

Any ideas?

As far as I know, there's nothing in Maya to allow this. Cameras in Maya are linear, and the effect you seek is a non-linear effect.

The good news is that lens distortion works entirely in image space, so you can simply render out an image, and then use a separate tool to preview distortion. I know there are a couple free tools out there -- you can google for "lens distortion utility" or some such. They are actually intended for removing lens distortion, but you can fiddle with the lens distortion parameters to get the effect you want.

Kevin Atkinson

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2005, 02:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.