PDA

View Full Version : Gaming showreel & modelling

Arcon
09-07-2005, 11:06 AM
This would be a newb question for pro game modellers and i'm hoping I can get some feedback from a few people in the games industry, or someone can recommend a better place to ask :)

Assuming someone wanted to be a pure modeller for games (mainly characters) what is the sort of polycount that companies would like to see..? The mod reels I'm familiar with, which i guess are the norm, have turntable default grey shading with wireframe, but I'm not sure if there should be highres and/or lowres, and what's considered lowrez these days (roughly)?

cheers.

CarlS
09-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Hey Arcon, I'm in a similar situation as you. I want to get a job doing modeling for games and am in the process of working on my portfolio. I think I've been going about it wrong cause I model, texture and try to rig all the stuff myself but I'm not too great at the rigging and texturing.

Most the modeling reels I've seen are like you said, grey and on a turn table. I think for modeling you shouldn't worry too much about poly count anymore because of the use of normal mapping now. But if your looking for a specific poly count for characters I would try to keep them around 4,000 - 7,000.

Hopefully someone in the biz will post with some info cause I'm curious myself. I am wondering if my reel should show just the finished models or would it be better recieved if I had a screen recording of me making the model to show how capable I am as a modeler? I don't know but hopefully someone else can help us out.

Arcon
09-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Hi Carl - thanks for your reply, I've actually recently heard from a games company, and I'm pretty sure different companies will like to see different polycounts but anywhere from 2,500 to 5,000 at most would be the norm.

Yeah I'm pretty confident in my ability to rig, and can animate ok... I have a good artistic eye but as far as texturing goes I think i'd be a pretty slow Texture Artist, mainly 'cause of a lack of experience with UV layout etc. I'm not sure if most modellers are expected to do UV work or specialize in modelling, maybe it depends on the size of the company...?

At least the good thing about building gaming reels is it doesn't take a long time (well it shouldn't if you're good enough to work in games ;) ), so I would just do some different examples of low-poly characters, un-textured and textured, and some different animation cycles and random movements if animation is something you want to do.

fal$eProfit
09-23-2005, 03:53 AM
I was reading on the Famous Artist Thread yesterday on Blur. They said that they have to do all the modeling and texturing. Though I think this really depends on the size of the company usually.

davidwAde
09-29-2005, 10:29 PM
My teachers says, texturing is a must expecially for gaming artists.

Kiel Figgins, who works at NCSoft, and worked atTKO told me, "You should be able to bust it at texturing, if you want to do game modeling, since game modeling is relatively straightfoward".
I have no idea with normal mapping what happens there.
But I have been told by other guys who have worked out in the industry and freelance now that, they are hiring alot of movie production guys for normal mapping, in games.

Some other input would be cool though!

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2005, 10:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.