PDA

View Full Version : Need a great tut for realistic cracks

wiredgear
09-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Well I am a texture artist and I happen to come accross something yet challenging for me. I currently have to create a set of grundgy textures that are wartorned. Full of cracks, holes and alot of dirt. But I for some reason am having trouble creating realitic looking cracks. I've looked for some tuts and they aren't what I really want in reality. Not too indepth about cracks. But I was wondering if some of you guys can give me some tips or direct me to a really good tut.

Here's my attempt. Concrete background done in photoshop, cracks are actually a picture which I threshold. I need to make it seem more realistic. any ideas?:

http://www.transangel.com/files/images/bridgetexture.jpg

I am aware of the cracks looking the same as it is only a test.

Here's the clean version

http://www.transangel.com/files/images/bridgetexture1.jpg

nebezial
09-07-2005, 09:31 AM
try bevelling trick it works usualy

JabzX
09-11-2005, 11:15 PM
I would like to see someone make a tut on realistic cracks. I think observation and imatition are the best tools. If you are near a city, go for a walk with a camera if you have one. The older the city- the more sources's you'll find.
Thats my advice, oh and one thing to remember when looking at your sample-
One of the things that make a crack a crack, and not just a mark is the fact that it breaks into the surface it should be pretty defined that "yes it is borken here" by having the light/shadow say so (the black in the shadow should be thicker).

I think all your sample needs is some correctly looking shadows.

Good luck!

ToddD
09-12-2005, 12:40 AM
I would say make a layer with the material that is under the surface material. Add the layer with the surface mat above the last layer you created. Now you can do some creative eraser tool strokes on the upper layer and apply a very small amount of drop shadow just to give the feeling of depth.

Hope this helps!

Todd

dbclemons
09-13-2005, 02:14 AM
What comes to mind looking at these is to recommend having some highlight on the edges, maybe with a bevel like nebezial suggested, or with normals or specular if you can use that. Also the dark areas could possibly use a bit of dirt collecting in there to bring in a color change, since it looks a bit monochromatic. Having a bit of a hard edge on those dark lines in some spots could help too. Right now the look drawn on. Think about the surface you're making. It should have more dimension to it on those chunks.

-David

MaDSheeP
09-13-2005, 01:23 PM
http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/texture_katherine_dinger/dirty_texture01.asp

This tutorial, which is a direct link to a Digital Painting tutorial at 3dtotal.com, deals with scratches. They show a great trick for adding a hot hilight on the light receiving corner of a scratch, which really makes them read well.

The same technique can be applied to cracks, give it a shot =)

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2005, 01:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.