PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular 3D Entry: Christian Hammer

ChristianHammer
09-07-2005, 04:51 AM
Christian Hammer is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=8299)

Latest Update: Modeling: Smoothed Helmet
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1129933613_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2759235#post2759235)

ChristianHammer
09-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Spectacular eh? Very open ended...
spectacularPart of Speech: adjectiveDefinition: wonderfulSynonyms: amazing, astonishing, astounding, breathtaking, daring, dazzling, dramatic, eye-catching, fabulous, fantastic, grand, histrionic, impressive, magnificent, marked, marvelous, miraculous, prodigious, razzle-dazzle, remarkable, sensational, splendid, staggering, striking, stunning, stupendous, theatrical, thrilling, wondrous

First idea I was playing around with was a concert, maybe something like a Gwar or Kiss concert, going for the Spectacle.

But that wasn't enough... So here is what I am going forward with...

Picture if you will the martian frontier. A dull red land of imense danger and immense potential.
A pioneer, aged by the hardships, struggles to eek out a meager existense. His oldest child disappears in the chaos of a dust storm.
Panicked, and without preparation he heads out into the unknown to save his precious daughter. He finds her miles down an abyss in front of an structure obviously not made by nature. Running low on O2 he grabs her and grasps the stone. Using every last reserve he climbs to save his daughter... and himself...

ChristianHammer
09-08-2005, 04:50 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1126155042_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1126155042_large.jpg)

Finally got down to some concept work... I'm not totally thrilled with the framing, angle of view or the composition as a whole, but it is a good starting point...

After laying out the initial view I decided to add a beam of energy. Ancient Alien monument --> Energy beam, just made sense in some way, plus I like how it looks, it was missing something without it.

Probably need to pull in the on the face of the pioneer, and give his daughter a teddy bear or something to give her some reference as child...

Suggestions and crit VERY welcome.

Yongkiat
09-08-2005, 05:07 AM
The composition you put is excellent. I like how the light shines throguh the body..that adds extra spectaculary to the scene.

joshcxa
09-08-2005, 05:09 AM
Great concept.
Would be an idea to be closer on the face of the guy on the edge of the cliff with a more downward camera angle, that way you get a better view of the girls face.

But i suppose you can work on that more later. Keep it up!

ChristianHammer
09-08-2005, 05:14 AM
I think this is already the furthest I have ever gone in one of these challenges... I had to force myself to sit down and draw/paint the whole concept and forget about the details...

I agree I probably need to rotate around to face down on the father and daughter... The monument could be brought in as well... But I'll play with that in the 3d world this time.

Nichod
09-08-2005, 05:30 AM
Agree on the downward POV. Show the height and the risk of falling. Goodluck!

ChristianHammer
09-08-2005, 06:16 AM
So for the first time ever I will be modeling some of this in ZBrush... Should be fun, really like the ZSphere modeling aspect... Yay for new toys!

ziriguidum
09-08-2005, 01:47 PM
whoa! i'm impressed with your work. Good luck.

Magnemar
09-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Nice concept - I like the theme. Looking forward to seeing some 3D...

:)

Robert.C
09-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Great concept !:thumbsup: very spectacular !
Iike you style and color. I think... add a bird into the image ,is good ? haha~~
Good luck HammaJamma !!!

Neeno
09-08-2005, 02:39 PM
i do like this concept as well i would have to agree fine work..

LimeyD
09-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Cool Concept, definitely raise the view and focus more on the face holding on, maybe he is crying with the pain of dropping his daughter.

The scene lacks scale I don't feel that they are high enough for spectacular maybe the view change could help with this or even when the scene is complete with other ground elements would help.

Nice work and concept can't wait to see more.

p.s. Reminds me of that Mission to Mars movie

ChristianHammer
09-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I've been thinking about this a bit. I like the bird idea, maybe some martian birds, that would be fun to come up with. Also thinking maybe this is after Mars has started top be terra-formed, could add some martian adapted plants. How would settlers on Mars modify their equipment to fit the reality they find themselves in? Gonna play around with these a bit.

I think the POV correction might fix the illusion of scale, maybe by adding the martian birds, and by bringing more of the cloud layer in below them it would help with the scale issue.... Also could add to the monument a bit and give the area around it the look of an ancient abandoned city?

Keep up the crit and suggestions, love it...

And thanks for all the positive notes, I really appreciate it!

alancamara
09-08-2005, 04:05 PM
wow, great concept and idea. I'm impatient to see the 3D entry. Good luck :thumbsup:

AdamHerbert
09-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Looks very cool. I really like the composition. It is definitley difficult to tell that there is child in the scene, the teddy bear idea is good, or possibly a face shot could work as well. I look forward to seeing more.:thumbsup:

ChristianHammer
09-08-2005, 04:41 PM
So I will move the POV up to the cliff top looking down... The father is crying trying not to drop his daughter... She will be struggling trying to save her stuffed martian toy... Yes this will be good...

Been working on some sketches of Martian birds, and the spacesuits... Will post this evening.

ChristianHammer
09-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Can't wait to get home and scan in the sketches. I think I finally see what the martian "birds" look like as well as the space suits (kinda buck rogers circa 1950's)... I also sketched out the little girls stuffed toy... This one is alot of fun, WOOT!

Nomad
09-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Intersting concept... it will be a challenge to make all this environment and the characters.

Good start, I whish you good luck :bounce:

ShkYo
09-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Good idea ! This is a very deep abyss !!! Is it a little idea of a futur Mars exploration by a human mission ?? ;-)

Great concept, good luck !

Nichod
09-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Teddy bear huh;) Keep it up!

ChristianHammer
09-08-2005, 09:01 PM
The idea is a Martian pioneer/colonist/explorer goes out to save his little daughter who was lost in a dust storm. I'm falling in love with a mid terra-forming Mars, in other words a Mars that is begining to warm but is still not suitable to Humans without protection... I'm thinking that maybe life on Mars was in stasis, in a sort of deep freeze. With the warming by terra-forming the native flora and Fauna re-animate... Mixed with human brought in biology.

ChristianHammer
09-08-2005, 09:04 PM
It is more of a fuzzy squid thing than a teddy bear, but same concept. I had a name for it... What the heck was that name?

I've got some sketckes I will post tonight, but yeah, your teddy bear idea... Doh...

Oh yeah it's a qwid... Kind of a 3 legged squid/elephant thing...

ChristianHammer
09-09-2005, 04:33 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1126240421_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1126240421_large.jpg)

Just a quick doodle of the space suit helmet and the Qwid plush "teddy bear" toy idea I had

ChristianHammer
09-09-2005, 04:40 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1126240821_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1126240821_large.jpg)

So this is an idea I had for a form of martian avian. It is kind of a plant animal hybrid. It gets most of its energy through photosynthesis...

Yongkiat
09-09-2005, 05:33 AM
Oh.I like the martian avian looking very cool and organic. Would be great to see it in a 3d scene (^_^)

Neeno
09-09-2005, 06:19 AM
the moon ray looks excellent dude very original... i like it

ihamid
09-09-2005, 09:03 AM
nice concept and idea of the bird :)! maybe u could model some low poly characters and pose around and place the cemera ... great for getting good angles, helped me a lot:)

ChristianHammer
09-09-2005, 02:01 PM
yunisirees - I'm definately going to do that, thanks, that will help imensly

The moon ray is going to be the first model I build... Because it lookd fun.

LimeyD
09-09-2005, 02:13 PM
nice martian bird, almost looks like a ray. I really like it especially if the wings are transparent.

Have fun.

Nichod
09-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Just an idea. But perhaps tighten up the top of the martian birds "wings". Make it come more to a point. Also, might be interesting to have the "tail" extend out a little. Might make more sense to help control movement. I picture the wings as pockets, the wings filling up. Great concept! Keep it up!

flrco
09-09-2005, 02:28 PM
great work so far keep it up and good luck to you in the comp.

ChristianHammer
09-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Wings as pockets like a directional parachute? I like that... And bringing it more to a point would definately help it fly...

I keep going over the idea in my head... It would be fun to have someone trying to ride one of the moon rays... Maybe that is how they are trying to get out of the abyss, holding on to one?

Paravalerium
09-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Cool idea to put a teddy to make sense of childhood. Willing to see more. Good luck!

JacquesPena
09-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Your Idea is great no doubt. I think adding some evidence of an ancient city would highten more reason for your 2 characters that seem to be in danger. Bspecially explains the reason "why?" there in danger. Good idea indeed. Nice bird creature too, very imaginative.

Nichod
09-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Wings as pockets like a directional parachute? I like that... And bringing it more to a point would definately help it fly...

I keep going over the idea in my head... It would be fun to have someone trying to ride one of the moon rays... Maybe that is how they are trying to get out of the abyss, holding on to one?

Hmm. I can see this. The astronaut has one had clinging to the cliffs edge. The other hand is holding onto the tail of the martian "bird" that is pulling on his arm. Some good ideas. Keep it up!

ChristianHammer
09-10-2005, 06:13 AM
Holy Guacamole... Z-Brush is awesome. I am having alot ... A LOT of fun learning it. Should have a really nice Moon Ray to show tomorrow.

ChristianHammer
09-11-2005, 02:17 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1126405065_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1126405065_large.jpg)

So I was playing around with the Moon Ray and think I really like this version. The wings will be more like dragon fly wings... Atleast in shape and functionality.

ChristianHammer
09-12-2005, 12:00 AM
Okay as I've been playing around I fell in love with a little doodle I did... Same characters, same environment, new scene. The dad and daughter are riding a moonRay out of the deep canyon. The daughters stuffed toy is pulled from her hands by the air rushing past, she turns to grab for it...

So the shot is caught in the instant the dad notices his daughters grip on him has relaxed, he is already concerned for their escape, riding the back of these alien avians, away from an ancient alien monument etc... And the monument doesn't want to be found... So of course it has to use everything at it's disposal to catch these would be discoverers... The little guirl is just worried about catching her stuffed pal...

So what does everyone think? Not just on the story but also on the model of the moon ray... I'm not entirely sure what I think... It is kind of an odd jumble of creatures, a dragon fly, a ray, a squid and a tropical bird... oh yeah and a plant... And in an odd sort of way a human, at least in the "shoulders"...

Yongkiat
09-12-2005, 02:20 AM
Amazing moonray you got there, looks like ZBrush's goignt o be used extensively ;) And it sure looks great. Did you use ZSphere for the base body?

ChristianHammer
09-12-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeah I used Z-Spheres for pretty much everything other than the wings. Then I started sculpting... I have never been so impressed with a tool in my life.

I have started working on the father character... You know what I need names for my characters. How about Randolph Mandorri or "Red" Randy, just Red to his close friends. And his Daughter Alexi. Her stuffed toy she calls Qwiddy.

Now that should make it alot easier to reference these characters. So I have started modeling Red, should be able to post up a WIP of him tomorrow.

I am doing the main characters first and then start playing with them. once I've got them roughed into the scene I'll go back and model the necessary scenery...

JCGA
09-13-2005, 12:43 AM
The new concept sounds great. Will the dad and daughter have space suits or will the atmosphere be breathable? I guess you'll be able to convey a lot more emotion if you don't have them in suits.

ChristianHammer
09-13-2005, 03:05 PM
I think they will still be wearing space suits, Because the front is just a big glass bubble I can still show the emotion pretty easily.

LimeyD
09-13-2005, 03:29 PM
another cool idea, it could be more intense, put the sketch up.

btw your moon ray's look cool, can't wait to see them textured

Yongkiat
09-13-2005, 03:45 PM
The creature's coming up Nicely ;) You learned ZB very fast, my man (^_^)

ChristianHammer
09-13-2005, 04:03 PM
I appreciate the warm welcome I have recieved here. You keep me motivated!

I need to finish up a freelance gig tonight, so I should be working on the challenge again come this weekend... I've got a few more sketches I will post up, give an idea of what I am seeing.

ChristianHammer
09-13-2005, 07:08 PM
There is something REALLY wrong with me...

SO here I am thinking about the project, working out the details in my head. And I keep coming back to the light, beam, ray, whatever the heck you want to call it, from my original sketch.

So throwing around ideas... I had this idea for a scene in some future city, looking out upon Utopia... The concept being that a society is caught right in the middle of the moment some of them are trancending into a pure energy state... Some of the so far unnaffected are confused, some are in awe... Wouldn't that be spectacular?

So I am not so far along that I cannot change concepts right now. But I need to decide today, and go down which ever path or I'll never get it done.

I have also considered merging the two, in a sense. I could see maybe some form of martian transcendant being helping... Basically the Yin to the temples Yang...

DaddyMack
09-13-2005, 07:25 PM
HammaJamma.. whoah... heavy concept man... I really dig the latest evolution as it would present some serious challenges atmospherically... Good luck committing;)

ChristianHammer
09-13-2005, 09:17 PM
After wieghing the options I am going with the combo. As awesome as the new idea would be I love the original idea too much. I will probably create the new idea at another time regardless...

So tonight I'll finish some other work, tomorrow I'm going to build the martian ruins/temple...
Mwahaha!

ihamid
09-14-2005, 12:18 AM
having fun with zbrush eh?:) ray looks good! and like the new twist to the storyline man!
cheers!

ChristianHammer
09-15-2005, 04:58 PM
All i've got to say is if you are sick DON'T SIT DOWN at the computer... Nobody makes a tool to clean that mess up, blech!

Alright I did get some stuff done the last couple of days. I'll post up the father WIP tonight. I've never actually modeled a human head before so I am working my way through it. Had to start over several times as I just didn't like where it was headed (Pun intended)

Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend and next week to push on down the line!

Yongkiat
09-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Hope you get well soon man, and get the challenge going ;)

Facepunch
09-16-2005, 12:22 AM
this was one of first entries that got my attention. nice. i'd stick close to the original painting will look cool in 3d.

ThierryS
09-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi HammaJamma! cool modeling in ZB, that should come out nicely. Your alien is original.
All my best for the development of this promising concept.
Will keep an eye on your thread. Keep up the good work and have fun with ZB.
:thumbsup:

ChristianHammer
09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Back to the land of the living for me.

That was a rough week!

ChristianHammer
09-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Oh my goodness this is not a fun cold... I've been doing freelance work most nights so between the cold and that work I have been falling horribly behind. I have done a little work on the Father and the landscape. Won't be able to get back at it until next week. But here is what I am going forward with....

Father and daughter riding the moonray out of the area with the ancient alien monument. Daughter is reaching for her stuffed toy that has been pulled from her arms. The Monument has activated some sort of defense mechanism...

ChristianHammer
10-09-2005, 04:28 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1128831902_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1128831902_large.jpg)

So you all thought I had given up? Well I haven't. Work has just been crazy. Thought I'd post up the father as he is thus far...

ChristianHammer
10-09-2005, 04:28 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1128832005_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1128832005_large.jpg)

So you all thought I had given up? Well I haven't. Work has just been crazy. Thought I'd post up the father as he is thus far...

ChristianHammer
10-09-2005, 04:32 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1128832303_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1128832303_large.jpg)

gardogg
10-09-2005, 04:37 AM
One heck of a head! Makes me want to chuck maya in the garbage and use zbrush forever after!

ChristianHammer
10-09-2005, 04:39 AM
I only model organic forms in ZBrush... Maya is still my primary ap...

ihamid
10-09-2005, 06:04 AM
hei HammaJamma
good to see ur still around!:) been wondering where u went off to heheh! nice work on the head man!
cheers!

suk-grigorij
10-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Good idea. Nice modelling too.

ChristianHammer
10-11-2005, 01:49 PM
yunisirees- Really glad to be back pushing pixels(or in ZBrush pixols) around. Gotta say your entry is looking very nice. I've got a long way to go. But started modeling the rest of the father last night. I have been drawing hair styles for him as well... Should be able to post up a more complete version of him soon.

suk-grigorij- Thank you. I'm going to start adding the detail once I've got the whole father roughed in...

Just noticed I posted the model 3 times... Oops...

alancamara
10-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Good work with modeling. I liked the head. Could you post the picture in other angle? Nice work so far. :thumbsup:

ChristianHammer
10-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Denverbz - Sure I am going to work on him again tonight. I'll post an update with a better material and several angles...

ChristianHammer
10-12-2005, 06:09 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1129097378_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1129097378_large.jpg)

Quick update to the modeling. I have been playing around with the father figure. Going with a psuedo 1960's Flash Gordon spacesuit...

alancamara
10-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Hi, cool. I liked the your idea about to do him with a flash gordon look, i think that will be great. You'll modeling everything on zbrush? Characters, scenario? Great work so far. :thumbsup:

ChristianHammer
10-12-2005, 11:21 PM
I am doing alot of the modeling in ZBrush... Not real comfortable with mechanical objects in their quite yet so probably use Maya for alot of the utility items and misc equipment... But for the most part yeah I am using ZBrush for the modeling and texturing.

(o)ne
10-13-2005, 06:55 AM
interesting idea, want to see it completed :)

ali-rahimi-shahmirzadi
10-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi. very interesting concept, and the modelling is looking great. good luck.:thumbsup:

ThierryS
10-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Good mixed use of ZB. I agree it's not ideal for mechanical objects though, specialy if you do the final render in another soft.

Cool work man!:)

ihamid
10-13-2005, 10:19 AM
hi HammaJamma
nice zbing on the model so far!:thumbsup::thumbsup: ... looking out for some more cool updates man!
cheers mate!

claudiojordao
10-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Hey HammaJamma, you have great modeling skills... this is looking very promissing.
I'll be watching you.

ChristianHammer
10-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Haven't been even able to think about this in a while... But I am refining the concept. Might post up a proposed comp soon.

ChristianHammer
10-21-2005, 09:53 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1129931628_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1129931628_large.jpg)

I had a few minutes to spare so I started the helmets. This is obviously very rough, but it is a start.

ChristianHammer
10-21-2005, 09:57 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1129931848_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1129931848_large.jpg)

The two parts to show more of where this is going

ChristianHammer
10-21-2005, 10:27 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1129933613_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8299/8299_1129933613_large.jpg)

Quick update

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2005, 10:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.