PDA

View Full Version : Free Plugin - XLinky

Per-Anders
09-06-2005, 11:44 PM
The day after we bring you XStacy::Elements and XStacy::Powerslider, The Third Party is pleased to announce the immediate availability of XLinky, a free plugin bringing simple XREFs (That's External File References for those that don't know) to Cinema 4D.

XLinky is a very useful tool that allows you to bake mesh animation and individual meshes out to external files for instancing throughout your scenes. The plugin is available for download here (http://www.thirdpartyplugins.com/xlinky/XLinky.zip) and you can read up about it here (http://www.thirdpartyplugins.com/xlinky/index.htm).

XRefs allow you to share assets between documents and only have to update the single file, as well as lower scene complexity and keep down file sizes.

Enjoy!

Bob3D
09-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Pretty cool. Looks a lot like the mesh loader for RealFlow.

Janine
09-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Brilliant! I've just tried it, very easy to use and extremely useful! :bounce:

AdamT
09-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Wow, thanks! I'll be picking up PowerSlider too, just as soon as I clear these modeling jobs.

JoelOtron
09-07-2005, 12:35 AM
:eek:

Sheesh. 1-2 punch.

Thanks much Peranders! :bounce:

govinda
09-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Holy guacamole, at last! I expected it to come from those Xpresso experiments by Base80 though.

JoelOtron
09-07-2005, 01:48 AM
...and it bakes metaball mesh animations too....
Peranders telepathically picked up my brainwaves--just last week was figiuring out if/how this could be done.

williamsburroughs
09-07-2005, 03:45 AM
Very cool Per. Many thanks for all the wonderful things you and Paul do for us stooges. I am currently rendering some Metaballs with a couple Jenna Iterator Instances and it's working as promised.

I'll post the animation sample when it's through baking the little dish. :)

Keep on rocking!
:love:

JoelOtron
09-07-2005, 04:19 AM
Very cool Per. Many thanks for all the wonderful things you and Paul do for us stooges. I am currently rendering some Metaballs with a couple Jenna Iterator Instances and it's working as promised.

I'll post the animation sample when it's through baking the little dish. :)

Keep on rocking!
:love:

That was the first thing I tried also. The mesh sequence can now be easily iterated, etc.

Check out this super short anim test... (http://www.betatronstudios.com/stuff2/xlinky%20testsm.mov)

williamsburroughs
09-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Looking like fun. I am in serious need of RAM on my home box...i'll need to run some tests later on @ work (1GB ain't gonna cut it with 1 Metaball Object, and 2 Iterators...the Viewport doesn't want to update for more than 15 frames...)

I am sure it's a RAM issue...but I'll double check tomorrow (3GB on the boxx there).

Per-Anders
09-07-2005, 05:27 AM
remember it's using the "render" settings, so in a metaball object that means by default subdivision of 5 m! you probably either want to bring that up, or start messing around with the polygonreduction tool in there. the nice thing is once one has been calculated it doesn't cost anywhere near the time for any instance of that object.

JoelOtron
09-07-2005, 05:30 AM
remember it's using the "render" settings, so in a metaball object that means by default subdivision of 5 m! you probably either want to bring that up, or start messing around with the polygonreduction tool in there. the nice thing is once one has been calculated it doesn't cost anywhere near the time for any instance of that object.

Yes. This was one of the reasons I wanted something like this. I can now render at a lower mesh resolution, say 20 m or so, and then put the resulting animation sequnce (xLinky ref object) into a HN if I want and not bring the system to a crawl.

Rich-Art
09-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Great plugin. Thanks for that.
This will come in handy I think.

Peace,
Rich-Art. :thumbsup:

moka.studio
09-07-2005, 07:08 AM
looks really good,
thanks Per

marcom
09-07-2005, 09:14 AM
The day after we bring you XStacy::Elements and XStacy::Powerslider, The Third Party is pleased to announce the immediate availability of XLinky, a free plugin bringing simple XREFs (That's External File References for those that don't know) to Cinema 4D.

yay!!!
so, what will tomorow bring? spider? :P

super cool tool btw.

cheers
marcom

kromekat
09-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Very neat!! - many thanks for this Per! :thumbsup:

lllab
09-07-2005, 01:11 PM
wow, thanks per very much!

cheers
stefan

Stain777
09-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Just one quick question, because maybe I don't understand the full capability.

When I export a single frame of an object using the plug, then import the xref'd object to another document all is good. However if I modify the original and re-export the object it breaks the link to the xref. When I press the "reload" button nothing happens, and when I re-import the link remains broken.

I'm sure that I'm simply missing something, but I'll be darned if I can figure what it is.
:D

Stain777
09-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Hmmm, interesting. When I switched to "software render" from OGL it acted correctly, refreshing the object with an update. I'm wondering if I've got some wacky driver on my Mac.

Continuumx
09-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks Mdme Sadie, xref object linking is an feature most definitely wanted. That is an amazing amount of talent you have to be able to program a tool in this manner for a specific purpose.

Many thanks!

Stain777
09-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the issue with transporting the texturing along with the xref'd instance? Is this an impossible task with existing SDK?

I create retail interiors, and it would be great to be able to grab an instance of a fixture or piece of clothing without having to re-texture it each time I drop it into a new document.

If I haven't mentioned it by the way, this is a very, very cool plugin.
:thumbsup:

Per-Anders
09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi thanks, glad you're all liking it. The problem is one of tags, and I'm still pondering it and possibly solutions. In the meanwhile I'm beavering away to try and bring you all some more cool toys that I said I would before (hopefully today) ;)

williamsburroughs
09-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Hi thanks, glad you're all liking it. The problem is one of tags, and I'm still pondering it and possibly solutions. In the meanwhile I'm beavering away to try and bring you all some more cool toys that I said I would before (hopefully today) ;)

:drool: sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Zendorf
09-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Fantastic plugin...Thanks for your efforts Per :thumbsup:

Here is my first test of it, trying to push it to its limit just to see if I can make it crash...3 million polys and it still renders fine...in 2 minutes to be exact.

I started with some spheres being emitted and put this into a metaball object. After baking this into a sequence, it was iterated and baked, and again and again. then finally put into an array object. It is really cool how you can bake out and keep using these instances to build up a complex object. Makes it a nice animation and modelling tool. Btw , I did have this scene still animatable even at the 3 million mark....

Continuumx
09-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Makes me wonder if you can use this with tree objects? And iterate like 2 million or more of them?

I may be experimenting with this one!

SeanL
09-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Another big thank you to this c4d community member and developer!

:)

JoelOtron
09-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Makes me wonder if you can use this with tree objects? And iterate like 2 million or more of them?

I may be experimenting with this one!

The strength of this plugin has more to do with:

A.
having the ability to keep a master object in its own file so if there is any editing that needs to be done to the model, whether it be a building or a tree, this can happen in the master file. Then any projects that contain the Xlinky object referring to that object will be updated. How many times have you had a series of animations that contained an object or group of objects, that needed to change in some way throughout the course of a project?

Rather than needing to replace each file manually with the revised object, Xlinky (in theory) will take care of that for you. (would be great if it handled constructed objects and materials--rather than meshes--?)

Also, sometimes I have updated an object in one file on the fly and forgot to change the object in the separate files as well. So this could be good.

B.
Any mesh that uses processor power/memory per frame to generate, like an animated metaball object in a TP setup, for instance, can be baked into a sequnece. The baking process may take a while to crunch, and the resulting object sequnce may be somewhat large, but from that point forward you dont have to worry at all about wasting processor time generating the mesh sequence. Plopping them into an array as illutrated by a few examples above might sho you the freedom you have without worrying about crashing. You can slide through the sequence and it flows as smooth as a rotoating primitive cube.

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2005, 06:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.