PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular 2D Entry: Patrick Jensen

PatrickJensen
09-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Patrick Jensen is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=8210)

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Danger on the high seas
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8210/8210_1127489052_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2672948#post2672948)

Squibbit
09-06-2005, 04:13 PM
hey good to see u again, dude , have fun

tlggungor
09-06-2005, 04:43 PM
have a good luck tonsen.and thanks for crit....:thumbsup: :bounce:

Fahrija
09-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Hi Patrick,

good luck in this challenge. :thumbsup: It will be a pleasure watching your thread.

regards
fahrija

PatrickJensen
09-07-2005, 03:06 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8210/8210_1126062412_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8210/8210_1126062412_large.jpg)

Ahoy!

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm very excited about this theme. I'm really looking forward to seeing some amazing WOW filled images, heh. Best of luck to you all.

As far as a concept - This one excited me to develop, so we'll see how far it goes. I'm trying to get the right moment - that moment when "Jeez, is he going to be able to hang on?" Or, "This rope better not snap!" Or, "Yikes, we're taking on too much water!" And definitely the most crucial of moments, realizing "Blazin' barnacles! Look at where we're headed, Cap'n!"

It sure is going to be a fun challenge. Cheers everyone!

- Patrick

beelow
09-07-2005, 03:14 AM
welcome tonsen, really nice sketch, good luck to ya, I will be visiting every now and then, holla!:thumbsup:

MichaelZHsee
09-07-2005, 03:21 AM
great sketch patrick~whats the story~?
good luck mate!anticipating to see more of urs:scream:

Arc80
09-07-2005, 03:56 AM
What's up Patrick,

I've seen some of your works and your website (they look tight by the way, especially the matte paintings). Good to have you here and goodluck.

Good start by the way. i'll keep up with this one.

cheers

Squibbit
09-07-2005, 05:14 AM
skillz man... great sketch..

arLutiK
09-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Awesome start, great work. :thumbsup:

authentic
09-07-2005, 08:36 AM
INteressant concept and composition; I will follow your thread.

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 08:37 AM
oooh wow!!

lovely sketch!!

tlggungor
09-07-2005, 08:39 AM
woww good shot... you should look ivan aivazovsky pictures..He's talented painter

BaronImpossible
09-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Nice sketch, full of action.

electricsketchbook
09-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Sweet start Patrick. Best of Luck :thumbsup:

PatrickJensen
09-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks folks!

I usually don't do much figurative work, which is why I'm forcing myself to do some for this piece. I'm thinking there will be a few more of the crew in there as well, maybe struggling in the back there.

When coming up with a story...I was concentrating on the moments I wanted to capture like I mentioned earlier, but there's a great amount of power and awe that comes from seeing the swells of an ocean just toss around such a large vessel. I thought about having these two ships battling it out as well, but I don't want to complicate things too much. Right now, (and I know the color scheme isn't reflecting it yet), the goal is to have the crew trying 150% not to run into the other ship that suddenly appeared from behind one of these large swells amidst such a terrible and eerie storm. As far as the period...I'm not quite sure yet, and should definitely lock that down soon. So it might be anything from pirates to futuristic ships with a floating city in the background =)

And Ivan Aivazovsky. Thanks Tolga! I will definitely look him up.

Thanks again for the comments everyone!

Fahrija
09-07-2005, 07:38 PM
great start! :thumbsup:

The Point of view is the major of this image.> Involves the viewer into the scene. Also the diagonal horizon line. Gives the scene the dramatic feel. And the shadow parts framing the content of the image very well.... what do I talk so much. Great skills, buddy.

Maybe I would give the scene a more futuristic stuff or add a gimick just to increase the spectacular feel.

fahrija

PatrickJensen
09-08-2005, 05:13 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8210/8210_1126156378_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8210/8210_1126156378_large.jpg)

Still playing around with this one, seeing where it goes. I think I have the ship going in the right direction now, which is a good thing, heh. I'll put this in as a Line Art in case I continue with this idea, but I'm open for and appreciate any suggestions.

Definitely trying to keep things loose for now and have fun. Oh, and great thought Fahrija. It just might need something pretty soon. We'll see what happens!

Cheers!

Squibbit
09-08-2005, 05:48 AM
this is just an excellent pic!

you could have a cannon go off in the other ship,
somewhere near the bow and the cannonball
hit the water just before this ship..?

PatrickJensen
09-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Oo, that's a fun idea. hmmm...I'll try sketching something in like that, see if we can't get some more action in there. Thanks! =)

tlggungor
09-08-2005, 06:38 AM
Yess I like the second one more dynamic than the first :arteest:

beelow
09-08-2005, 06:46 AM
nice lighting, I am diggin it, good stuff man! Will be back tomorrow, to see what is up, holla!:thumbsup:

weslouie
09-08-2005, 06:50 AM
I like the diagonal composition and lighting in your initial sketches. I also like the warmth of your colors as well as the texture you have. Are you using alot of those crazy brushes in Photoshop? I've been on boats many times when swells are pretty large and just from that composition and my memory, I can imagine being on that pirate ship, slipping all over the deck.

:thumbsup:

Vectorius
09-08-2005, 09:07 AM
good work man! like the idea . Good lighting and good composition..especialy the camera angle!:thumbsup:

Good luck man! come back soon to see your evolution.:)

Overchord
09-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Really nice sketch and concept! (Something I can relate a bit to having sailed Tall ships :) )

Great dynamics, and the right distance between the ships for that "panic moment" - I really like this one :bounce: :thumbsup:

In your second sketch it looks a bit like the ship in the background is breaking over on the middle. I would actually think that if you were to give the impression that the ship in the background is bearing down on the one in the foreground with great speed, It would work a bit better if you dug the bows into the wave a bit and spread a bit more "canvas" on the boat. That way it would perhaps seem more like the boat is pushing/forcing its way directly towards the oncoming ship.
Anyway - you've already got a good composition - jsut a couple of suggestions - good luck on this one!

GonzaloGolpe
09-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Yeah, WeŽll see it :) Good Luck, Patrick!

Zalo

aoisabaku
09-08-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm loving the lighting! Awesome stuff! :)
Maybe some hint that the wave pushing the main ship from the right? I would expect some water splashing in from off stage. Though I'm not an expert on these things. ;)
Good luck!

am7
09-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Looks great man, care to share with us what kind of brushes you've used here? I really like the rough style of the concept. Do you use photoshop or painter?

Keep it up!

PatrickJensen
09-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Great suggestions folks!

Tolga - Thank you!

beelow - Awesome.

weslouie and Overchord - I really appreciate hearing your experiences, and that I might be on the right track as far as this subject goes. I myself have only been on a small sailboat and can only just imagine what such an experience would look and feel like. I think that's why I'm having so much fun with it! But thank you very much.

Fiolka and Zalo - Thank you! Glad you like it.

Overchord - Great suggestions. I'm really looking forward to painting the sails...having some about to snap their lines with such wind, some ripped apart by cannon fire, and some half anchored and flapping about. Good tips

aoisabaku - Of course! Didn't even think about that actually...and of course it makes sense. I probably won't add the water and splashes from the right until towards the end of things....but I'll keep that in mind now, thank you!

am7 and weslouie - Brushes. I am using Photoshop, and I do have some custom brushes that I've been experimenting with for this one. Basically, they're just noisy brushes, splatters, or leafy, or even a few dots put into a scattering brush can yield you some pretty interesting results. I sometimes get a little color dynamics in there...and some size jitters or what have you. The brushed quality got jumpstarted by sketching small, sharpen filter, increasing image size...painting more, sharpen again. I like how the sharpen filter brings out the texture in the early stages. And I once in a while, like getting from the first concept I posted to this one, Copy the whole thing, paste, and then adjust the levels, color, contrast....set this layer to different blending modes....repeat, add masks to these layers to just have it affect shadows...or certain areas, repeat again. then once I see it getting somewhere, I continue again adding normal layers and painting. Color adjusting, or other adjustments, on the whole, or just parts, is just another great tool you can use while painting digitally.

Hope that helps. And thanks again everyone!

PatrickJensen
09-09-2005, 01:21 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8210/8210_1126228875_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8210/8210_1126228875_large.jpg)

I'm inventing a new word for this one - HYDROSPECTACULAR!!

Nothing beats the unaware photographer missing the shot of a lifetime. And don't worry, he doesn't get hurt. :)

And I'm going to put the 'pirate ship collision course painting' on standby while I flesh out some other ideas I've been thinking about. Thanks for staying tuned!

Cheers

_

beelow
09-09-2005, 01:25 AM
That is an interesting painting that you have there, I like the compo and the idea as well!:thumbsup:

ChrisThatGuy
09-09-2005, 02:47 AM
Hahahahaha! Cool.

I really like this one. Might be good if you give him a surprised expression.

Squibbit
09-09-2005, 05:30 AM
nice looking explosive action..still needs more kick, though, if only just a bit :thumbsup:

ElFuego
09-09-2005, 06:09 AM
I agree (again) with squibbit. Needs different kinda Axn...just a tiny bit :)

technique is something I won't crit here but idea needs some finetuning. Maybe the guy on the pier has just put the lenscover on top of his obtics and witnesses this spectacular thing and there is a "spectacular" look on his face.

I'v actually catogorised spectacular in two different expressions :D

1. "Oh sh**, isn't this just spectacular" - Something bad is going to happen to viewer
2. "Ave - Spectacular!" - Something bad and otherworldly has happened to someone other than the "viewer"

I don't know if this helps any, but it has narroved my themes so that it's easier to pick up the right (not xspecially the best) theme :D

Good luck and have fun with this one :)

scorpion007
09-09-2005, 06:18 AM
hi, the new idea looks pretty cool, what i think is perhaps have the photographer stare in awe at the boat (whale?) jumping out of the ocean, with his camera in the current position it is now.

I think that even though he may not see the the boat jumping out of the water, he would probably hear it if it is that close to him.

Just my thoughts :P

authentic
09-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Cool concept and really spectacular.
Great chances in this challenge

BaronImpossible
09-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Ha, he's pointing his camera in the wrong direction, isn't that always the way (it is with me, anyway :) ) Perhaps it needs a little more grrr, slanting the image and making the POV angle more acute. And looking to get some fear instilled into that guy!

NinjaA55N
09-09-2005, 11:15 AM
this one seems to be very powerfull image! good luck man, I'll pay attention to this thread with pleasure :)

Screenblind
09-09-2005, 11:30 AM
I actually like the guys total oblivious...ness (is that a word?) about the situation... and looking at the thumbnail - I thought it was a whale breaching the water at first too! (I gather that whales breaching together *ahem* is how they get it on - but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't pick Whale-freakiness for this project)
. I think both concepts are great beginnings - the first for the moodiness and the second which totally appeals on a humerous level. I also can't believe I actually wrote 'whale-freakiness' on your thread, but its not going to stop me from coming back :)

sirBS
09-09-2005, 12:15 PM
bravo !:thumbsup:
good luck !

OKMER
09-09-2005, 12:25 PM
yap,Agree with the rest.great sketches although I also think you should play around some more with camera.Maybe it could be cool to have a few a bit ,like the viewer is a fish coming out of the water.maybe it could be cool also if some shadow of this boat starting to fall on the guy ,and so you can see on his face that he askes himself where does this shadow come from?
Just suggestions ofcourse,.Sorry my english suck's from time to time:D
Anyway have fun!!!

W-I-L
09-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Thatlooks pretty dham good.. keep em coming

gu
09-09-2005, 03:01 PM
great color sketch. good luck for ya!

gus

blakbird
09-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Interesting. Cool.

KOryH
09-10-2005, 08:17 AM
looks cool Pat.
I would be interested in seeing some of you other ideas too.

element5
09-13-2005, 12:36 PM
HYDROSPECTACULAR!!

I like it, cool idea :thumbsup:

xric7
09-15-2005, 08:02 PM
ha...realy cool idea and great sketch.cheeers.:thumbsup:

jddog
09-16-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm not so much for the first concept, but still a very personal question. The last one :scream: i really like it ! Can come out a very spectacular situation... :wip:
jdd

Zephyri
09-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Oh, oh, if you go with any other concept, please tell me you'll finish the pirate ship one? I absolutely love it, especially with the later darker colours, in fact, it's the only one that's made me go "holy crap, wow... that IS spectacular" of most of the entries I've looked at. The waves, the positions of the ships, you've just captured that fantastic moment where you have to hold your breath cause you don't know how it will end.

I should say i like hyrdospectacular too, but it doesn't make my heart pound like the other one did.

PatrickJensen
09-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Hey folks!

This weekend I'm looking forward to making some more progress or working on some new sketches. Thanks for all the comments!!

beelow - Thank you. Just trying out a different idea.

ChrisThatGuy - Yeah, there's many ways this one could play out with the cameraman's different expressions or attention. So I'll try a few other compositions and see if anything pops.

Squibb - I agree, heh.

ElFuego - I think you're on the right track. And this one definitely falls into the 1st category, hehe. Great suggestion, and I'll certainly try a different camera angle.

scorpion007 - No, thank you very much for your thoughts. That's a great idea.

authentic - Awesome.

Baron - Glad you can relate, hehe, I know I've done something similar too before. And I agree it needs more oomf! too.

NinjaASSN - Thanks man! Good luck too.

Avatarist - Nah, love the new vocab you're inventing, hehe. I didn't have any hydroplanes up while doing this sketch. And if I go this route...I'll try to have very clear examples on the left or right of the action of what's supposed to be going on. It's a hard one, because hydroplaning isn't that international of an event.... perhaps? So who knows...might skip it in the end but keep a similar situation. It's still early in the game!

Sergey - RIght back atcha.

OKMER - I understand. Thank you. I'll try that out.

W!L, Le-Go, element5, xric7 - Thanks!

Kory - Thanks man! Hopefully this weekend I'll get some new things up. Thanks for dropping in.

jddog - Sounds good. We'll see what happens

Zepyhri - Rest easy, cause yes, heh....I will finish the pirate one. Maybe not specifically as an entry for this challenge, but I'll finish it up yup. I'm glad you like it :)

PatrickJensen
09-23-2005, 03:24 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8210/8210_1127489052_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8210/8210_1127489052_large.jpg)

Here's the latest version on the first idea. This one is getting to be more tons of fun to work on. Everything is a brush stroke, and I'd say that no area is in a finished state yet, to give you an idea of the point I'm at. So things could still drastically change.

And I'm still brainstorming other ideas...but haven't got a sketch done to post yet. I'll let you know when I do!

Cheers!

-

Fahrija
09-23-2005, 03:37 PM
My favorite concept so far.

Might be a single brush stroke currently (interesting description btw) but this one brush stroke produces a rather spectacular/adventuresome look. :thumbsup:

IŽm curious to see the other concepts in case youŽll find the time to make them.

zpapageo
09-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Awesome! I love the water and sky. I think that if the background ship was leaning the other way, it might more emphasize the rocking ocean. Right now both ships are leaning at the same angle. Anyway, it looks great so far. Good luck with the rigging.

yAdam
09-23-2005, 04:21 PM
I really like the palette you chose for this. Everyone seems to have the right kind of expression and urgency about them. I think that the waves coming up over the ship could be bigger, but thats just me.:) Really hope you stay with this one, but seeing as there's such a long time left you might as well do a few more concepts :thumbsup:

umbrellasky
09-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Beautiful painting, I love the painterly effect! Great atmosphere :)

BaronImpossible
09-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Nice sketch, has a good painterly look to it - almost like oils in some places. Not sure about the bloke on the right, though, looks like he's been on the rum (and who knows, maybe he has...)

Keep it up :thumbsup:

PetriJ
09-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Somehow the painting reminds me of Craig Mullins pirate paintings.
That was a compliment. :D

NinjaA55N
09-23-2005, 07:10 PM
hi man! this sketch looks really ql, if u could still call it a sketch.. I see it as a half finished piece. Anyway, I think that it would look better and more realistic if u put some more cold colors to it (blue hue). Right now even with all the action going on in this piece, it doesnt seem to convincing coz of "sunny" day in the back. keep up with good work man! I'll come here more often :)

PatrickJensen
09-23-2005, 08:28 PM
Fahrija - Sounds good, thanks man!

zpapageo - Haha. Oh yes, the rigging will be a tough one, heh. And that's a great idea about the back ship...we'll see how it looks! Thanks!

yAdam - These waves are a step forward I think...but it's not there I agree.

enialadam - Glad you like it!

Baron Impossible - Aye. He does look a bit wonky doesn't he? heh

Petri.J - Thank you. Lots of pirates out there...which is why I'm trying to push this as uniquely as I can.

NinjaASSN - It's a great suggestion. The original intent was to use the colors of those old ship battle paintings you'd see in galleries, with the rusty yellows and gold. But I'll try some other stormy palettes, nice!

Thanks everybody!

Falcorr
09-24-2005, 06:13 AM
Hello! This looks great :thumbsup: I really like the ship in the horizon.

Here is the thing i would fix. Theres no way 2 guys could ever pull up the sail or lower it in that size class ship. It also happens to be high storm so there should be people up the mast doing very dangerous work of releasing sails. Also about 10-20 guys more pulling them up on the deck.

Id also try to redesign the foreground so there could be lots more ropes and all kind of ship ahoy stuff there :)

But then again it could also be smaller ship with less crew so you dont have to change anything. Silly me! :wise:

This will be a top contender when you finish it up for sure.

aaron111
09-25-2005, 04:57 AM
This is looking excellent. I'll definitely follow your thread.

beelow
09-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Nice touch with the waves, although the character to the right seems a bit unless he is suppose to be, but anyways still a cool azz painting by far one of my favorite entries, good luck!:thumbsup:

mannix8
09-25-2005, 08:15 AM
looking at the painting makes you feel like you are part of the crew.

great work

xric7
09-25-2005, 09:15 AM
truely spectacular!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: very nice concept and paiting.:thumbsup:
cheers.

libidoh
09-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Great expression! I love corsair!:thumbsup:

Korline
09-25-2005, 09:53 AM
like the way you do the water,
think it's a lttle closed up as an image,
very cool highlights,
good luck :thumbsup:

MechaHateChimp
09-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Whoa... now thats what I call spectacular!

Your layout and choice of colors are excellent. I gotta agree, for a sketch, it almost looks like a half finished illustration. No complaints on my end... some of the characters need some slight refinement but Im sure that will come as you work on your finished illustration.

Unbelievable work dude. This piece just blew me away:thumbsup:

Silveraxe
09-25-2005, 09:43 PM
o wow!! I love it!!! (i love pirates anyways hehe)

I love the concept, the action, dynamizm, the energy... its alive, which makes it "spectacular"!!
Nice designs as well, clothing etc... looks like its going to be a perfect painting in the end.

Good luck!!

EnSoph
09-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey Tonsen!

Cool WIP! The way of lighting and the brush work are impressive~

Great!!!

Don_Barro
09-26-2005, 04:57 PM
hey patrik
i dont wanna be a boomer, but i believe you are escaping from the mission

"Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images"

thats whats on the challange site, sorry if wrong about your work! Im olny trying to help;.

Besids that your work is beutifull man...
astonishing

mad_aeon
09-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Nice style, I like this pirate illustration. Seems already quite finished, btw...

dydx
09-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey Don_Barro

""Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images"

Whats to say in the future that we don't go backwards technologically.

Hey Tonsen,

Your color palette is great, although one of my colleagues recommended adding colder colors, I think keeping true to your current pallette is the best.

For me the spectacularity of the image is that the crew of this ship sees the sun in the background and they are going to be able to live and tell of their exploits.

I'll definitely follow your thread.

--Take Care

Fahrija
10-01-2005, 07:26 PM
happy birthday, dude.
(I was cruising through conceptart.org and saw it listed below.)

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2005, 07:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.