PDA

View Full Version : Help with tattoo art

Elaeria
09-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know anything about tattoo do's and don'ts? A co worker asked me to design her a tatto. The only specifications that she gave me was that she wanted a "pretty fairy" with blond hair and she wanted her last name "Pike" incorporated discreetly into the fairy somewhere. The rest she would leave up to my design.

At any rate, I know tattoo's can get fairly detailed, but I believe that there are some restrictions in the design.
Can you have a look at the initial work on this and let me know any pointers on designing tattoo art?

This is the initial line work and colour blocking. I don't know what colours to stay away from so your advice on that would be very welcome. I still have to sort out the line work for the hands and for the veins in the wings. I think I will incorporate her last name into the veins in the wings...but if you can suggest any other way that can be done, I will try that too.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/meligh/40341538_a676149998.jpg

Thanks all!
~Ela~

Elaeria
09-07-2005, 04:27 AM
Okay, so the lineart and a bit of colouring and I've set the tattoo aside...I decided that I would give my friend a print of the tattoo that she will be getting on her shoulder.

Not sure what to do with the background though...any suggestions?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/meligh/Jackies-Tattoo5.jpg
~Ela~

Ilikesoup
09-07-2005, 05:22 PM
I've never gotten a tattoo and all I know is from watching The Learning Channel. That said, here's some free advice:

Find out what size your friend wants her tattoo to be. Draw it ACTUAL SIZE with a 3-pixel wide round, hard edged brush. That's what the tattoo artist will have to do. If you can't do it he probably can't either.

For color, think paint by number -- one area gets one solid color. Tattoo needles don't have a smudge option. :)

You might want to verify these details because I haven't. :rolleyes:
As for incorporating her name into the design, all I can think of is having the fairy sitting on a parchment roll that says "Payne".
Good luck with the design.

Elaeria
09-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey thanks Soup!

I appreciate your advice. I'll give it a shot on the lineart again tonight. Another friend of mine said that I should stay away from gradients as well and focus on solid colour since it can be hard for the tattoo artist to actually get that effect.

I'll post my next try soon.
Cheers,
Meredith

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2005, 05:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.