PDA

View Full Version : Rundown Industrial Matte WIP

SOE digital
09-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Greetings guys 'n' girls.
I've been asked to help do some concept work on a completely industrial environment, but a run down one to be exact. I'm doing this as a favour for a short film so I'm allowed to show the work.
Here is a concept matte I created in Photoshop.
http://www.soedigital.com/images/conceptWIP.JPG
The look the director wants is a really gritty one. Think the colour scheme of Fight Club mixed with the grain of Saving Private Ryan with some left over bleach from Minority Report and you have what we're looking for.

So this is one of the designs I've come up for. I painted the sky in layers, mixing them up with different blending methods (overlay, multiply etc) and I'm kind of happy with what I've got. The 'fingers of god' sunrays (or what us Irish type refer to as 'angel rays') do need some work, I admit, but I think I'm on the right track.

Just curious, as to if there are any outright flaws in the image that I've overlooked. You know how it is when you've spent hours on something and you don't notice ye mistakes.

Thanks.

StylusMonkey
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Looks good, but there are a couple of things that would make it stand out a little more - the most obvious one - when I saved it and looked at it as a whole (you might wanna scale it down, hard to look at the whole when its so large) the clouds have a few areas of darker value than the mid ground elements which overpowers the industrial stuff and makes you focus on the darker region immediately.

I'd say to tone down the value of the background to reduce the competition with the areas of real interest, simultaneously increasing the contrast of the buildings to bring them up to being the most eye catching objects in the comp.

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.