PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunter

Chalkie
09-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Hey,
Mucking around with characters and came up with this bounty hunter. so far ive just sketched it up and blocked in some base colours, and although im reasonably happy its looking a bit dull. Im not too fussed about the background, i was just goin to do a sorta grey weathered type of wall but if anyone has a more interesting idea i'd love to hear it. (Keep in ming that im goin to mainly focus on the character detials so i dont want anything too busy for the background). I need to change the tone of the skin but cant seem to get a good skin colour? I also need to add some deeper, darker shadows, its pretty flat at the moment. Anwyay any advice or crits would be really usefull so i can fix them at this early stage.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/3483/sketch8yx.jpg

Btw the balck thing covering his face is a cloth, its a bit hard to recognize at such an early stage.

Thanks Si

Chalkie
09-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey all,
Bit of an update, pretty much just cleaned everyhing up and added some details. Getting a little stuck however and i need some fresh ideas, so any suggestions or crits would be great.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6796/sketch24aa.jpg

Si

Overchord
09-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Nice progress chalkie :thumbsup:
Just a couple of comments:
- Background: If you wanted to create a dark background but stil add a bit of life you could perhaps add some prison bars and the newlt dropped of "target" in silouette.
- The feet/Boots look a bit big/clunky
- The left had needs to be clearer defined at it seems little at the moment.
- The angle of ot right arm disappearing under the left is a bit off. You have the bend of the elbov quite a bit out from the body and there almost seems to be a second bend on the arm.

But its going the right way - so keep it up :)

Chalkie
09-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the uasefull crits overchord. I havnt had much time to work on this but I dont see it really going anywhere unless i come up with some new ideas for this guy. Anyway heres the update i've simply added some more shadow and fixed a few things up.

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/346/sketch48bb.jpg

Si

Swoop
09-13-2005, 02:20 PM
I think it's a bit flat atm. Try and get some more shading on the various parts.. especially paying attention to how they shade each other. For instance the shoulder plate. Its gonna cast a shadow that follows the curve of the chest i suppose.

Thats mostly it.. too flat, and perhaps a tad too clean somehow... cant explain that further. Could just be because of the shading, but seems like each part is just there. not connected to each other :D

Chalkie
09-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Totally agree about it being flat, so ive really tried to add some more contrast. Thanks for the advice. Heres the update, what does everyone think

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/9592/sketch59ja.jpg

Si

Swoop
09-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Where is your light source.. im guessing above and to the left (our left, not his).
Okay decide if it's in front of him, or behind him.

Now say it's a little in front, when his right shoulder (again our right, not his) would also catch some of the light on it's left side. Not be in total shadow. The left leg also would catch some more light.
The top of his arms would propably both be catching light on the upperside, as would his hair, and not just his helmet :D

I know it's propably nitpicking but it's details like that that sell the depth to me. Dont be afraid to go a bit overboard on the dark vs. light sometimes. It might seem a bit strong when you are doing it, but try and force yourself to zoom out a little. Look at the image, and ask yourself if you feel that leg is 3d enough ;) Stop painting once in a while and look at it while asking wether or not it's good enough :D

Chalkie
09-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey swoop, thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying but the lighting source is coming from the left of the picture, directly in line with him and slightly above him. There are still a few issues as you mentioned but the shadows and highlights are about in the right place, arn't they? As for light vs. dark, your absolutely right, its hard to really let go with shadows but i think im slowly getting there.

I'd love to hear what other people think and a picure with the areas that need improvement would be really usefull.

Swoop
09-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Still even with the light directly in line with him i think there would be some more light in certain areas...
What i seem to fail at myself also is think of the chracter as some kind of silouette hehe. I forget that it goes in and out of perspective. For instance what is the cause of the shadow that obscures the entire left shoulder ? I dont think the head gives that much shadow...
Even if we choose that the head gives shadow to the left shoulder pad, the arms would be hit by light from above.. nothing to obscure them at all i can think off.

Also you might want to change the shadow on the ground to reflect the light direction.

Also the tops of both boots will be highlighted as far as i know.. there basically isnt anything that can cast a shadow on the tips of the boots ;)

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2005, 02:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.