PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular 2D Entry: Rudy Faber

Rudeone
09-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Rudy Faber is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=8157)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: new concept: UFO in fairytale-land
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1129845566_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2756137#post2756137)

TheFirstAngel
09-06-2005, 09:29 AM
welcome onboard Rudy! hahahaha, already awaited u, we... missed u! :p
Have loadsa fun and best of luck mate!

Rudeone
09-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Woohoo thanx Sacha, good to see ya too:bounce: , let's rock!:buttrock:

MichaelZHsee
09-06-2005, 09:33 AM
hey rudy,glad to have u in~joined the fun!best of luck buddy:thumbsup:

Rudeone
09-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanx Mike, nice to see you too, it's gonna be great:bounce:

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 12:42 PM
nice too see yet another familiar name man!! have fun!

Rudeone
09-07-2005, 10:21 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1126088479_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1126088479_large.jpg)

A couple of weeks ago I did a sketch for the daily sketch forum of a giant panda rampaging trough the streets of Akihabara Tokyo (spelled right?).
I really liked that idea and I was planning to do painting of it someday.

Now, when I was thinking of concepts for the challenge the panda idea suddenly hit me and I thought it would fit the subject perfectly.
I thought it might be cool that the viewer is watching the rampage on the news at a live reporter from the scene.
The piece captures the moment when the camera crew needs to get out fast because they're about to be crushed and there's total chaos everywhere.

I did a really really basic sketch of the whole concept, it's not the same sketch that I did a while back for DSF (that wouldn't count now would it)

Squibbit
09-07-2005, 10:48 AM
welcome rude, although the giant panda ain't that new an idea

there was one some time ago that even shot laser beams from its eyes :)

your panda is way bigger tho :)

Rudeone
09-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Hehe thanx Squib, yeah you're right you mean that one in the DSF a while back right?
I actually was the first in that topic that came up with and posted a sketch of a giant rampaging panda so that basicly gives me the right to use it...right?

MichaelZHsee
09-07-2005, 11:07 AM
keep the ideas coming rudy,like squibit mentioned,the panda idea isnt much fresh but..lol,the facial expression for the panda is very funny~cute:scream:

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Yeh!! That's one spectacular panda!

Pandas are great! Can never get enough pandas!! especially rampaging pandas!

Vectorius
09-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Very funny idea! lol.. good luck for panda's invasion!!!:twisted:

See you soon:)

GonzaloGolpe
09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
LOOOL!! It would be perfect if the panda was drunk hahahah. Good luckk!!:thumbsup:

Koekebakker
09-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Hehe, I remember that one. Definitely like to see it worked out. :P

NinjaA55N
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
great sketch man! I just love that scene with panda in the back and a reporter hurying up with reporting before that bear comes to her. hahaha! keep it up and good luck! :D

Rudeone
09-09-2005, 11:25 AM
sh@ke: Thanx man! you know I've been brainstorming a lot, but I don't seem to come up with something that would make a cooler piece than the rampaging panda.
It may not be that fresh, but it was my own idea so I'm sticking with it for now.
Taking the weekend off, maybe a little relaxing and some cold beer will help me think of something cool and fresh:beer:

duddlebug: Woohoo rampaging panda's rock:buttrock: hehe thanx Johnny:)

Fiolka Alexandre: thank you very much:)

Gonzalo Golpe: thanx:) hahaha yeah cool idea, maybe I can use that, seriously I could do something like that.

Koekebakker: thanx man! I'm gonna work this one out even if I wouldn't use it for the challenge:)

NinjaASSN: thanx man! I'm glad you like it:)

I couldn't show anything new this week, very bad start, first my internet connection broke then my computer crashed (luckely I didn't loose any work).
I'm checking in here all week from internet cafe's and public library's:(
I hope I can fix the problems real soon.

coCoKNIght
09-09-2005, 05:05 PM
I hope you'll be able to fix the problems soon, too! Good luck!
what happens if something cute gets big? a spectacular challenge enty (and chaos) :D

Rebeccak
09-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Rudeone,

Good luck to you!!! Looking forward to seeing great things!! :)

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

xric7
09-10-2005, 01:15 PM
cool pandamon!:applause:
will look forward to see what will come next.
good luck.

Korline
09-11-2005, 07:04 PM
that's nice little bear there, I think it's need a little more space, good luck man :buttrock:

and thanks, haven't done yet, just got up, still don't know where is a top and the bottom, so I c and v this time, ( and the worst part I'm doing this out of Illustrator)
thanks

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275464

Rudeone
09-13-2005, 10:28 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1126607308_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1126607308_large.jpg)

Thanx people.

Still sticking with the rampaging panda idea.
This sketch is a study for the dramatic and dynamic mood I want to create in the piece.
I thought it might be cool to rotate the camera angle slightly (the viewer is supposed to be looking at live footage from the scene) to emphasise the chaos of fleeing people about to get crushed by a giant panda foot (camera crew included offcource).

MichaelZHsee
09-13-2005, 11:24 AM
lol,yet another rampaging panda~this one has a more dynamic angle,more chaotic as well!cool sketch rudy~yeah haha!:scream:

GonzaloGolpe
09-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah!itīs getting better ,hahah. And now put the panda with a diaper:D

Zalo

melkao
09-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Panda don't!....the pandas must be nice, no bad:sad:........jajajajaja very cool your idea:D

mr. thurner
09-14-2005, 01:06 AM
wow, very spetacular one! but it seems a little bad one 'cause people arround are screaming...:applause:

beelow
09-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Hahaha, thats one's Great!! I like to see this one done cool sketc, holla!:thumbsup:

cLos71
09-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Killer panda! Is like the Macy's parade going horribly bad....I like it! Play a lot with exagerating the perspective of the buildings to give it even more drama. Looks like you're having fun, :bounce: look forward to more development!

Korline
09-14-2005, 07:14 AM
dude I think youv'e nail that, love that angle, there is a lot of power in this, go for this
:thumbsup:

Rudeone
09-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Mike: Thanx mate :scream:

Gonzalo: Thanx man! haha yeah funny idea, maybe a giant diaper with a giant diaper pin in it LOL:D

melkao: But he is nice, he can't help it he's huge, he's just looking for a friend and while he does so he accidentely crushes some people:D Thanx man!

mr. thurner: yeah well like I said above...thanx man :)

beelow: yay!! thanx mate :)

cLos71: yeah it's like a macy parade isn't it. Yup an exagerated perspective would work great eh, great idea! thanx!:bounce:

Korline: Thanx mate! I'll try my best :bounce:

Allright so I had the idea to make the panda a giant living pluche panda instead of a 'real' one, maybe have him wear a giant diaper like Gonzalo suggested, what do you guys think?

I'll post an update later today, back to the drawingboard:buttrock:

Screenblind
09-14-2005, 12:09 PM
"Who's been eating my bambooooo!!!" Rooowwrrrrrrr!!!

nice one. I'll be back.

melkao
09-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Mike: Thanx mate :scream:
melkao: But he is nice, he can't help it he's huge, he's just looking for a friend and while he does so he accidentely crushes some people:D Thanx man!

jajajajajaja nice answer, i like your style:buttrock:

Llynna
09-14-2005, 11:59 PM
whaaa, a hughe fluffy teddy breaking loose *gg*. it has a nice funny note :) make one little girl that has a panda teddy and is fleeing, would be really nice :thumbsup:

oldasold
09-15-2005, 03:52 AM
Greeat idea! I like the look on the panda..................is it wearing a sweater? Is that an overbite on the collar of the sweater? Either I'm an idiot and can't see right, or that's is the coolest thing ever.

Paravalerium
09-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Waaa, ha, ha funny scene!! Love the drunk panda (with the diaper, of course). Will stay tuned

Best of lucks

Zephyri
09-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Heheheheh.. this one really made me smile, you can't beat rampaging pandas! I think though the best bit of this could be the reporter as she gets crushed, there's so much possibility to do great things with body language and expressions. Eh, but you gotta love the panda. Can't wait to some colour in this!

Rudeone
09-16-2005, 10:16 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1126865769_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1126865769_large.jpg)

Thank you very much people ^_^

Just some characters, nothing real serious, but I thought I might post this.

Koekebakker
09-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Perspective of the 2nd sketch is very good. Character sketches are cool too, I like the little girl with the panda-teddy, it makes an hilarious detail. Keep on going.:thumbsup:

elmasfeo
09-16-2005, 12:31 PM
hahaha, the man with the beard is great! please include him in the final image, hehehe....

I think I liked the first composition better, but both are good...

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

2xbo
09-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi Rudeone. Nice idea with the Panda. Keep going with this idea. And you have nice girls in your drawings. :thumbsup:

Good luck
xbo :scream:

TheFirstAngel
09-18-2005, 11:49 PM
hahaha hi Rudy! lol, great to see your ideas burst out and u let the panda have high times. lol great concept and very cool character sheet! best of luck and hehe, let the bears free!:D :beer::applause:

Korline
09-19-2005, 12:03 AM
yo man, cool sketches of the characters, but where is the whole idea
me I like the one with checker bra

waiting for the whole image, I know will be good :bounce: :love:

Paravalerium
09-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Ha, ha, ha, love the beared man. And I think too that the little girl with the panda is a funny detail! What about a really fat man?

Rudeone
09-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Avatarist: hahaha :scream: , later dude!

melkao: hehe, cheers mate :beer:

Llynna: thanx! :) , check latest update, a little girl with panda teddy ^_^ , thanx for the idea :thumbsup:

KITTNLITTER: uhm yes it is... no I didn't intend for that, but it's a pretty funny idea tho, I'll see if it could work, a sweater definitly would be cool! thanx!!

9mmParavalerium: thanx mate! a really fat man? sure thing :beer:

Zepyhri: thank you :) yeah the reporter would be the strongest element in the piece I guess.
A little dilemma tho cause I was thinking about placing the Panda further back to leave more room for background detail.

Koekebakker: bedankt man!

elmasfeo: thanx man! yup he will be in there hehe

2xbo: thank you very much :)

the1st_angel: yay Sacha is back! haha thanx mate :beer:

Korline: Thanx mate! yeah you mean why they aren't fullshots right? uhm I was just doodling a little and thought I might post it, I will post some full views of characters next.

Rudeone
09-19-2005, 10:31 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1127169071_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1127169071_large.jpg)

Just some random character designs of people who will be running away from the panda, more to follow.

MichaelZHsee
09-20-2005, 02:49 AM
those lineart character sketch looks cool~:)keep it coming rudy~i wana see ur panda~:scream:

MVDB
09-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Those last quick sketches are looking strong, lotta character already in both of them, I'll be lurking here some more.. Succes! :thumbsup:

Paravalerium
09-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Yeah! Very cool characters :applause:

melkao
09-21-2005, 06:34 PM
hey nice ,but very nice sketches:scream: i like your work

NinjaA55N
09-23-2005, 09:52 PM
hi man! been away for a while, but I see u were busy with processing ur idea. Its getting better and I love the character desing. But I think u should do more work on their faces and expressions than on their outfit, coz in the chaos u r planing to present, there will be faces that will be the most important. Im sure u were planing to do so, I was just thinking I could point that out :) keep with the good work!

TheFirstAngel
09-23-2005, 10:39 PM
very sweet characters, as usual! keep in goin rudy!

Rudeone
09-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Sh@ke: hehe thanx, I think there should be more updates coming this week.
BTW I included your cgtalk nick as a tag in a new painting of mine hehe, hope you don't mind:)

Michaelmotion: thank you very much!

9mmParavalerium: thanx man!

melkao: thanx man!

NinjaASSN: thanx! you're absolutly right and like you said yes I was planning on that :)
I was thinking on keeping this a kinda animestyle like those character sketches cause I can do some really cool exagurated expressions wich are quite commen in manga and anime and because I was planning on an overall oriental flavor.

the1st_angel: thanx Sacha! glad you like it.
I also included your cgtalk nick in my new painting like Mike's haha, hope you'll like that.

coCoKNIght
09-24-2005, 12:03 PM
awesome character work rudy, can i join your sketchgroup? :)

TheFirstAngel
10-07-2005, 04:51 PM
lol, sure i do, what an honor! weeeee! :buttrock: :scream: :D

Rudeone
10-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Uhm sure Fabian :)

Hehe cool Sacha, I'm glad you like that, and thanx for bumping me back from page 15 or so haha, man I gotha get back at this thing soon!

Stampede
10-07-2005, 07:13 PM
love ur sketch, this rough brushstroke are so expressive... i love sketches coz the gestual aspect!! Go! Go!!

Rudeone
10-10-2005, 09:54 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1128981245_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1128981245_large.jpg)

I decided to do some changes.
Instead of the panda about to crush the fleeing people in the foreground I thought it would work better if he was in the distance.
I figured the piece would be to messy and chaotic if the panda was in the foreground and he would fill up most parts of the painting basicly leaving huge uninteresting black and white parts.
I also changed the camera-angle a bit to give it a more dramatic feel.

GonzaloGolpe
10-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Yeah hehe, It would be more worrying Also I īd put the composition more vertical to give dramatic and height feeling to the hole scene. Iīll prepare myself for the attack!:thumbsup:

Zalo

Korline
10-11-2005, 07:03 AM
what's up,
this is a good shot, just think that the some of the characters would notice the huge panda bear, and turn around, I dont't think you're done with this so it's hard to say but that just jump out, hopefuly it helps :thumbsup:
seeya :D

Rudeone
10-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Stampede: thanx man :)

Gonzalo Golpe: thanx dude! good idea, but I'm not really sure about it cause it's supposed to be on live television and a screen always is wider then it is heigh, but I'm planning on doing the line-art with pencils on several pieces of A4 paper taped together and scanning them seperatly (hey my scanner is only A4 format so...) so the surface is pretty big allowing me to put in a lot of detail.

Korline: Hey man :) thanx! haha they wouldn't be running away if they didn't notice it now would they? ;) but yeah absolutly, I'm planning on putting in a lot of people so there will be many different poses and different behaviour.

I should start the line-art asap and I hope an update will follow later this week so stay tuned people :)

Rudeone
10-20-2005, 09:59 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1129845566_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8157/8157_1129845566_large.jpg)

I found the giant panda with lasereyes destroying Tokyo by Simon Bull Squibbit was talking about earlier (and I honestly thought he was talking about that DSG topic), so I have to change my concept, even if it could be a very different piece the basic idea would still be the same.
The most stupid thing about it is that I actually had seen that particular painting before and I just can't believe I didn't remember, man I feel like an idiot!

Ok so new concept, after a lot of brainstorming I came up with a couple ideas.
The one I liked the most was a kinda fairytale meets sci-fi concept, a beautifull mystic fairytale world where suddenly a hightech UFO descents.
This was the first basic sketch I came up with, but I'm planning on painting a lot of creatures in it, maybe a village or something, ok I'll shut up now :)
Let me know what you think

TheFirstAngel
10-31-2005, 11:26 PM
nice new attemp, i already can picture some cute aliens that are amazed to meet cute fairies and as a close encounter of the rudy kind they enjoy some nice mushrooms together ;)
lol, waitin to see more details for a serious crit, :p keep on goin mate and try settle on a concept before the curtain falls, let it rock!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Rudeone
10-31-2005, 11:49 PM
Hey thanx for dropping by Sacha, man I've been out for so long.
Still so much to do and so little time. I'm going on a two week trip to the US next week, so I don't know if I'm able to finish this one, but on the other hand lucky me will visit the upcoming Gnomon workshop in LA (if everything will be going as planned that is...) so that's really friggin awesome.
But I'll try my best to do some updates this week and finish it right before the buzzer, thanx man! :thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
10-31-2005, 11:54 PM
ha, gnomon u say? lol, don't u leave any tags there on the walls, specially not mine :p
jk, i bet you'll have a nice time in the US, and, well, with a sketchpad in your backpack, who sais spectacular is stuck? traveling is inspiring and fun, so cant be a bad thing to go on a nice roadtrip. and... dare u not finnishing this, i might stop by your house and paint a 2 m high panel like lazy bum right in front of your window :p

Slav
11-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey thanx for dropping by Sacha, man I've been out for so long.
Still so much to do and so little time. I'm going on a two week trip to the US next week, so I don't know if I'm able to finish this one, but on the other hand lucky me will visit the upcoming Gnomon workshop in LA (if everything will be going as planned that is...) so that's really friggin awesome.
But I'll try my best to do some updates this week and finish it right before the buzzer, thanx man! :thumbsup:

you should of planned this trip over last summer! stopped by gnomon and siggraph 2005!

well either way good that you have a chance to get out. hope everything goes smooth. ;)

black-hand-77
11-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Somehow I liked your Panda Monster; I wanted to see it growing and becoming scarier, but I also like the UFO in Fairyland concept! Aren't you out of time for finishing this one?!? Anyway, I wish you the best luck! Keep it up, man! :thumbsup:

Rudeone
11-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanx man, yeah I liked the panda idea too, but it kinda was done before.
Yup I'm pretty much out of time I guess, just came back from the US and I have a huge jetlag right now so I think I need a couple of days to recover and probably still won't be able to get any work done, but I'll try.

@Sacha: the trip definitly was a huge inspiration, I've seen so many cool things during my roadtrip from Seattle to LA and back north to San Francisco, took loads of photo's, it was awesome! but uhm come on over I'll have some beer ready haha

@Slav: yeah that would have been awesome too, the workshop was great tho, very inspiring and helpfull.

black-hand-77
12-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Maybe I'm not such a patient person to browse all over your thread, but I didn't see any final image?!? Anyway, I kinda liked the UFO and the mysterious atmosphere that surrounded it. Maybe you need to hurry! :argh:

MVDB
12-06-2005, 10:06 AM
didn't see your final image ? Me neither .. Ya had some cool concept ! :shrug:

Rudeone
12-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi guys, it's true, I didn't finish :(
Too many things came up in the past month and there was just no way I was able to finish it, too bad but there always be new challenges right, thanx for all the support everybody:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2005, 10:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.