PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good online VO directory

DMack
09-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi all,

I'm working on a pitch for a children's TV series and want ot get hold of some good VO's for Kids type TV....Anyone know a good online resource?

Thanks

Shade01
09-08-2005, 04:18 AM
I voice casted, and recorded all the dialogue for the first scene of my movie, and I used voice123.com

Very professional, and an easy system to work with. Within 2 days I had over 200 auditions.

DMack
09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the post - Whooa! 200! - Great to have that much choice!

So how does it work? Do you give the VO artists a script and character descriptions/images/what you're after etc and they send you a short clip of how they see the characters voice being over the net?

I'm intrigued.

Also, as I mentioned, this is a pitch and so I am keen to keep the costs down. Do VO artists tend to do pitch work for low cost/free or not? I know I am never really keen to do CG pitches for free - simply because it always entails weeks and weeks of work, rather than minutes/hours...just want to get my etiquette right here and not go presuming things!

Shade01
09-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the post - Whooa! 200! - Great to have that much choice!

So how does it work? Do you give the VO artists a script and character descriptions/images/what you're after etc and they send you a short clip of how they see the characters voice being over the net?

I'm intrigued.

Also, as I mentioned, this is a pitch and so I am keen to keep the costs down. Do VO artists tend to do pitch work for low cost/free or not? I know I am never really keen to do CG pitches for free - simply because it always entails weeks and weeks of work, rather than minutes/hours...just want to get my etiquette right here and not go presuming things!

It works by you describing the scene, the characters and giving a line or two that people can read. Be as descriptive as possible when trying to convey the emotion of the characters so you can get an accurate read.

I was entirely surprised at how competitive and cutthroat voice over acting is. You will not have any problems finding people willing to work on low budget projects. You can expect to pay, on average about $100-$150 per minute of dialogue. There were plenty of people that were willing to record up to 5 pages of dialogue for as little as $50, but I spent more than the average on people who had better recording studios and the ability to master their voices on their end.

DMack
09-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Have you ever had any pitch work done for free, on the premise that they'll get steady paid work if the pitch is successfull or is that a no no?

Shade01
09-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Have you ever had any pitch work done for free, on the premise that they'll get steady paid work if the pitch is successfull or is that a no no?

You could try it, but you know how it is when you try to get people to do stuff for free....

You certainly can't use any voice talent agencies if youre talking free, and I'd suspect you'll have a harder time finding people at that point. There was a HUGE dropoff in quality between agency represented VO and non agency VO.

DMack
09-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks Shade01, I appreciate your time.

scotttygett
09-17-2005, 03:04 AM
I've been doing my own voices, so I feel your pain so profoundly that I would do it for nothing, but irony being what it is, I don't have a very good voice recorder. Anyway, I'm sort of a Gregory Peck meets Guy Madison meets well, beter stop there, I also do sqeaky toys.

Zeicon
09-17-2005, 04:10 AM
Hey Shade01

Good to hear that you have gathered some quality voice talent for your movie. I can't wait to hear the results. And be sure to update your website with some development status. I'm curious as to how things are coming along :bounce:

BTW. I like the new site... very cool.

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2005, 04:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.