PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular 2D Entry: John Barry Ballaran

jbballaran
09-06-2005, 07:59 AM
John Barry Ballaran is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=8143)

Latest Update: Final Image: "RAIN"
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133911882_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2888268#post2888268)

jbballaran
09-06-2005, 04:19 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126019937_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126019937_large.jpg)

Hi all! This is my first challenge and I'm definitely excited. I'm not really expecting to win... I'm more in it for the sake of learning some new stuff and meeting some new friends. So hope I meet a lot of you out there.

Here's my first concept. What could be more spectacular than actually seeing the very gates of heaven itself! I'm not really a religious guy but I bet it would be awesome! The guy at the opening is the prophet summoning the gates to open just for some size comparison, to make the gate seem more awesome. Hope to hear from you guys. I still have a couple of concepts in mind, I'll just try to sketch it out if I get in the mood. My Wacom broke down a couple of days back and I wont be getting it till after 2 wks. Goodluck to all of you.

yAdam
09-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey man, good luck with the challenge, its my first one too. I'm finding it a challenge already...harder to think of something than i thought it would be. although there's a theme it seems way more open than master and servant / machine flesh etc.

Your concept seems cool, maybe the gate could be viewed from a lower angle. Could make it a bit more dynamic...I Like the design of the gate too!

shaddax
09-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Very Good Work ! I Like the colours :) Good Luck !

beelow
09-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Interesting color palette, But I would go with more warmer colors though personally, the outside just seems to cool , personal preference though, but anyways great concept and good luck to ya, holla!:thumbsup:

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
wow,like heavens doors,although i imagined them to waaaay bigger.great image!!

umbrellasky
09-06-2005, 06:31 PM
wow great idea, looking good!! Nice work! :D

Good luck :thumbsup:

jbballaran
09-07-2005, 04:41 AM
yAdam: Cool advice man. I'll try to change the angle to emphasize the size of the gate. Yeh, i agree it really takes a lot out of your imagination to come up with something spectacular, making this one the greatest challenge yet for cgtalk. Goodluck to all of us man!

The Witch: Tnx for droppin by. I dont have a definite set of colors in mind yet coz it's really hard to color using a mouse since my Wacom is broken... But I'm glad you like it :) Just want to focus more on the ideas here.

beelow: Check out my answer for The Witch. I wanted the idea of the gate being in the middle of the really barren, hot place... That's hell,,, and the really cool, and lively place being heaven. The whole wall and gate's gonna be glowing, and the clouds too are gonna be affected by the climate change from hot to cool, drawing out a lot of contrast in the picture. I'll try and improve this sketch some more to clearly express my idea.

NOOB!: Yeah, I also wanted to make it bigger and more larger than life coz were talking about heaven here! :) But I dont want to sacrifice the little people down at the bottom of the gate, since they're the ones who are witnessing the "spectacular" aspect of the gate. So I still need to work on this to make it seem more spectacular. Making the gate bigger's a cool advice, tnx.

enialadam: Tnx! I'll be checkin' out your thread too along with everybody else's. Goodluck to us all! :)

jbballaran
09-07-2005, 08:10 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126077032_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126077032_large.jpg)

I think I just found the concept that i really wanna develop. I love battle scenes.

The hero's comrades have fallen and they're still surrounded by a horde of thousands of orcs or goblins or whatever... As a last hope of defense, the hero unleashes his hidden talent in spell casting, that even his buddies are shocked by the awesome spell. He calls out the "arrow maidens" (working title:P) who unleashes a barrage of glowing arrows at the horde, creating a fireworks display of spectacular proportions. The spell is so powerful that even the clouds in the background seem to react to its supremacy.

Composition wise, I think the clouds, as well as the hill they're standing on, will draw you towards the hero and suddenly explode your eyes towards the enemy with the arrows. Really feels dynamic to me. I'm planning on making the whole picture darker in order to emphasize the glow of the arrows as well as light up the spell cloud of the Arrow Maidens. What do you guys think?

Squibbit
09-07-2005, 08:26 AM
neat stuff!

duddlebug
09-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Spectacular concept!

And i reckon you're gonna need a bucket full of patience with an idea on that scale... good luck!

feeesh
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Cool, the heavens gate was cool but I like the second idea better for sure. More apealing layout and composition. My only critique would be to make some new creatures or someting to be attacking. If it's a big army of orcs and/or goblins, thats just gonna scream Lord of the Rings and I think it would only hurt you in the end with people subconsciously comparing you to that.

feeeeeeeesh

jbballaran
09-07-2005, 06:07 PM
squibbit: tnx 4 dropping by man. i like your ideas too.

duddlebug: i'm probably gonna need 2 really big buckets of my patience for something this big man. ive never stretched my concepts as far as this one before. hope i can hold it together in this contest and actually finish a piece before the end. goodluck to you too, tnx.

feeesh: i agree about the orc/goblin thing. that's a great advice. and you're right, the last concept is definitely a lot cooler than the first one i did. except i think battle scenes like this might be "too-used-up" already. it's a spectacular scene, but it's definitely nothing new. as for the 1st concept, im not sure, but i dont think heaven's gates has ever been done before, atleast not the way the i can see it in my head... that's what makes the 1st one tempting. the end image of the gates of heaven in my head kinda looks cool, and this one will probably get more attention since not many people are into painting religious stuff these days. so it'll be unique. i cant decide yet. well, ive still got less than 2 wks for me to think about it before i get my broken Wacom back from the shop. i've got your vote for the 2nd concept though. tnx a lot man. looking forward to your future comments.

beelow
09-07-2005, 06:17 PM
The second one I am diggin on! Play with the composition some more though, I love dynamics! good stuff so far!:thumbsup:

element5
09-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Hey I like both ideas, very colourful :)

FrozZT
09-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Hi!
Nice concept.. Would be cool if the the magic fighters would also use different weapons and even engage in close combat, but still keep a lot of archers :) they are cool!

jbballaran
09-08-2005, 07:40 AM
beelow: Yeah, I'm gonna try and pull in a little closer to the heroes, and come up with a lower angle to make the hero seem like he's conquering over everything else in the pic. Except I dunno how I'm gonna maintain the awesome look of the Arrow Maidens if I do that. Tnx for checkin' in. Btw How's it going with the "pain-and-sorrow -of-the-whole-damn-world's-on-my-shoulder" concept?

element5: Glad you like the ideas man. I still havent decided on which of these two I should actually commit to. I'll just develop them both at the same time, and the one that ends up being the coolest is it.

FrozZT: You're right, I should add more fighting in it since this is a battle scene. Tnx for the advice.

jbballaran
09-08-2005, 10:37 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126172223_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126172223_large.jpg)

Nighttime setting. Sacrifices the colors. But emphasizes the lighting effects, which is exactly what the idea's about. I mean, who'd watch fireworks during the day right? That'd be stupid. Any thoughts?

aoisabaku
09-08-2005, 12:44 PM
.... :)
Breathtaking!
I'm curious about how you're going to do the sky - since it's such a big part of the picture?

jbballaran
09-08-2005, 06:07 PM
.... :)
Breathtaking!
I'm curious about how you're going to do the sky - since it's such a big part of the picture?

Good point man. I plan to pull the clouds towards the hero's torso, make it seem like he's absorbing the clouds and using it to power up his spell or something. That effect will also focus the viewer's eyes on the hero, make it seem like they're being sucked in, forcing them to look at the middle of the picture.

This effect applies to the last concept. I'm tryin' out a new angle, and I dont think the torso-absorbing-clouds concept wont work with the kind of view I have in mind for the next layout. Check it out and tell me what you think. Tnx!

jbballaran
09-08-2005, 06:18 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126199877_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126199877_large.jpg)

Lower, closer angle. The focus-in-the-middle-where-the-hero's-standing composition is gone. This angle makes the hero look mightier, seeming to carry the group of arrow-shooting hotties; and it emphasizes the characters' personalities, since we'll be able to see their expressions better than the first composition. What do you guys think?

maozao
09-08-2005, 08:52 PM
i like this angle better

but i think u should make the background richer in details, perhaps some mountains or a road full of foes, coming out from some place, or some more creature like foes

juts ideas

MichaelZHsee
09-09-2005, 03:08 AM
thats more like it~nice angle,dramatic enough!:)

jbballaran
09-09-2005, 07:46 AM
maozao, sh@ke: Yep, I'm sticking with this angle for this concept. Tnx for pointing that out maozao. I'm planning on adding some mountains, maybe a castle scene where those baddies are coming from, some dragons that the baddies are riding on, and I'm thinking on changing one of the good guys into some kind of monster... Anything to make the scene look chaotic.

beelow
09-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Yes, Iam liking that dynamic angle! I Just was trying to figure out my figure the other night, I am also doing 3d as well, with my other concept! I would try to put more foes in the foreground or somethin'. Lookin' great though! will drop by sometime tomorrow!

feeesh
09-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Yeah!!! You got it right with that new angle man! Lookin good!

Also, I like the idea of the magic beings (aka. arrow-shooting hotties) above dealing out the destruction.

NathanielWest
09-09-2005, 08:41 AM
The last comp is pretty dynamic. I like where you're taking it, especially with a low angle. It makes those archers very imposing. Good stuff so far! Keep it up! :thumbsup:

element5
09-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Now thats some cool developments you have done there, I do like the latest closer angle. The coloring is looking sweet too...keep up the good work :applause:

jbballaran
09-09-2005, 03:34 PM
beelow: Hey, that's cool man, you can do 3d as well? I'm still tryin' to learn Macromedia Flash, and after that I plan on getting familiar with Maya and 3ds Max 7. Lotta plans with my CGlife, but first I gotta complete this challenge :P
I agree with you on the adding up some more baddies thing, it's not lookin' chaotic at all at the moment. Just wanted to get an idea for the angle before going into the details. Tnx for droppin' by dude.

feeesh: Glad you like it feeesh. I'm going all out with this concept. It's the one I wanna work on till the end. Hope I finish it :)

Nathaniel West: Tnx for likin' man. Boosts me up even more to keep working on this.

element5: Tnx for the support man. I'll further work on the coloring to make it cooler.

jbballaran
09-09-2005, 03:59 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126277940_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126277940_large.jpg)

Here are the creatures that are gonna try to kick some hero butts in the scene and there are gonna be a lot of them too... I tried to stay as far away as I possibly could from the Orcish/Goblinish/Urukhaish look as much as I can, as feeesh suggested, but I still ended up drawing something that resembles those things. I guess it'll do. What do you guys think? Drew those things in the back since most of these guys on the foreground have their backs turned against the viewers, since they're gonna be facing the heros. Thought I'd add some things in the scene too that are pointing upwards providing contrast to the downward fall of the "enchanted arrows" to make the scene more dynamic. Oh yeah, I also borrowed this sword that I saw somewhere... I think it was a Warhammer illustration or something... It seems to suit the creature pretty well. I'll just try to change it a bit so that I dont get sued or something for stealing the design. Thoughts?

MechaHateChimp
09-10-2005, 04:58 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126199877_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126199877_large.jpg)

Lower, closer angle. The focus-in-the-middle-where-the-hero's-standing composition is gone. This angle makes the hero look mightier, seeming to carry the group of arrow-shooting hotties; and it emphasizes the characters' personalities, since we'll be able to see their expressions better than the first composition. What do you guys think?

Hi ahbeejieh,

I think this image has a lot of potential. The concept is very unique and would make for an excellent illustration. - J

jbballaran
09-10-2005, 04:57 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126367840_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126367840_large.jpg)

Didnt want him to look too smart, so I ditched the upright posture and gave him a hunched down look. Made his other arm smaller too, kinda like a Fiddler Crab's. They've been trained to strike hard with their right arm all their life that there was no further use for development of their left arm... I guess they just used that arm to pick their nose or something :P Hence the unbalanced growth of the arms... Those spike things on their back still look like cheap props made out of styrofoam or something. I think it looks cool, and they use that to intimidate, kinda like a Cobra's frills... The muscles on those things contract signaling that they're ready for battle. It could even be something that picks up heat signature in the air, so that they can see in darkness, but I guess that takes it too far :P It needs more development.

jbballaran
09-13-2005, 04:49 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126626582_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1126626582_large.jpg)

Hi all. I havent been able to check in here as much as I could. There's a problem with my internet connection and I'm still having it checked by my network. My connection keeps lagging, and it's downloading stuff at a really slow rate. But I'll still try to comment on some of the works here. I've seen most of the entries so far, and everybody's lookin' good! Keep it up!

Here's my latest sketch. I just thought I'd expand a bit with my last sketch and kinda add some wings on the caster, as well as make his spell look even more powerful by adding the guys with the long swords at the bottom. I also added some more spectators at the background. The guy casting the spell is in some kind of test, and his peers are watching his performance or something. Hoping for your crits and comments. Tnx.

fourcrowsArt
09-13-2005, 05:33 PM
wow, this really is spectacular! Can't wait to see where they go!!

:)

FrozZT
09-13-2005, 06:25 PM
hey!
You finally added som swordsmen! They look great! Though i think i like the concept better with the previous ones.. A test is not as spectacular as showing your hidden powers to make a last stand for your friends! I say keep the spell with the swordsmen but go back to the previous scenarios..

beelow
09-13-2005, 06:36 PM
I am liking the the previous concept.:thumbsup: I would work with that, It has a more interesting compo,I would go with the previous one, unless you can come up with something better?:shrug:

jbballaran
09-14-2005, 10:59 AM
FourCrows: That makes two of us man :)

FrozZT: You like the swordsmen eh? :) That's a good point with the test thing. Only problem is, I dont know where to put the swordsmen in the previous composition I made... I'll try and experiment some more. Tnx.

beelow: Yep, goin' back to the previous one. And yeah, I'm still trying to come up with something better. I'm kinda losin' the spectacular idea with this concept. I might even consider tryin' out something else. We'll see. Tnx dude.

Arc80
09-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Naks, okay yung dating ha. Definately like the concept, but i would go with another angle. Something more dynamic naman para ma enhance yung impact nang storia mo :D
o sige, aabangan ko na lang. Goodluck din at salamati.

Ingat pre

xric7
09-14-2005, 09:20 PM
woderful design of magic casting!!I agree with Arc80 about another angle more powerful compos.just my opinion.good luck.:thumbsup:

element5
09-15-2005, 03:01 AM
Great new development my friend....could be some great oppitunities for lighting and colour....excellent work sofar :thumbsup:

Ducklator
09-15-2005, 03:32 AM
wow... great sketchs!!! Can't wait to see more!!!:bounce:

jbballaran
09-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Arc80: Pwede na ba? :) Babalik ako dun sa dati kong concept, kuha nalang ako ng konting elements dito sa bago kong sketch. Parang nawawalan na nga ako ng gana sa concept nato e. Tnx for droppin by pre :thumbsup:

xric7: Tnx for the opinion and comments. I'll do my best to get the most awesome possible composition for the scene.

element5: Yep, this concept is all about the explosive lighting. Glad you like the recent update, except Im going back to my last concept. Tnx.

Ducklator: Tnx for checkin out my sketches man!

digitalhadz
09-15-2005, 10:21 AM
hey, nice concept pre kakaiba, bkit ka nman nawawalan ng gana? hehehe. para skin yong una mong gawa ok skin un pagbutihin mo pa.

kinonato
09-15-2005, 10:40 AM
nice concept but iguess u really need a lot of patian for this pieces, i'll be expecting ur work done.:) love ur concept

jbballaran
09-16-2005, 04:52 PM
digitalhadz: Tnx for dropping by dude :scream: Sira parin kasi hanggang ngayon yung Wacom ko e, hindi ako makapaglaro ng strokes sa PS. Kaya tinatamad tuloy akong gawin to :shrug: Pero makukuha ko rin yung bwisit na Wacom nayun pinaayos ko lang :) Type mo ba yung maka-langit kong concept? :) Astig sana kayalang, kulang sa movement dun sa picture e. Parang masyadong "solemn" yung dating e. Try kong i-sketch out ulit ng masmaganda ng makita natin ng maayos :)

kinonato: Sup man? :) Tnx for checkin my thread out. I'm expecting to make it over the finishline too :scream: I'll be taking a few elements from my last concept and put it in my previous concept. Glad you liked it!

aoisabaku
09-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Hey ahbeejieh, the newest sketch might be a bit too spectacular, which kinda makes it less spectactular... lol does that make sense?
I'm wondering what kind of look you're going for. The first image with the magic summon where everything was flat I liked best, since it felt like those ancient mosaics or tapestries, which give it a sense of an "old legend". The second one was cool too, it had a feeling of a movie or more "modern" style of drama that came from cameras (dramatic angles and what not :)). Maybe once you figure out the mood and style you're going for, you can make your design ideas work together better, since I think those are top notch.

Squibbit
09-16-2005, 06:49 PM
this new one is cool too, the arrows really feel piercing, dunno if it's the lighting or what..
good job ..

calisto-lynn
09-16-2005, 07:28 PM
looks great

i love the colours:thumbsup:

jbballaran
09-17-2005, 05:03 PM
aoisabaku: I feel somewhat like how you feel man. I can't quite let-out what I'm really tryin' to show you guys. Still working on some angles, story and color concepts to make this piece cooler than it's opting to be. Got a few ideas, just gotta put them on paper when I find the mood. Tnx for your comments man. Hope you can check-in more in the future for more crits on my progress!

Squibbit: Yep! The concept is all about the lighting man. Just hope I dont end up showing you guys only lights at the end of this contest. Really thinking on more ways for you guys to get involved with the story, the angle, the characters, the colors, the background... Loooooong way to go :) Tnx for droppin in.

calisto: Glad you like it calisto! Tnx for checkin' my work out :)

arkinet
09-20-2005, 05:05 PM
looks really spectacular pre :thumbsup:

jbballaran
09-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Musta arkinet? Di ko pa nakikita entry mo dude a. Hataw na! :) Tnx for dropping by tsong!

Hof
09-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Great concept! It looks realy spectacular!:thumbsup: Waiting for more... Good luck

jbballaran
09-23-2005, 03:02 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1127484153_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1127484153_large.jpg)

Hi Challengers! I've been too lazy to update my sketches lately. I dont like the feeling of getting left behind so here's my new sketch.

I added bits and pieces from my previous concepts including the gates of heaven concept. Came up with a pretty solid story too... This is pretty long, please bear with me:

STORY:
There once was this legend about an angel and a devil who wanted to end the neverending battle of the war between good and evil. They created a child and decided that she shall live in the world of men, a society that's easily tempted by greed and corruption, and where great heroes are born.

The entities decided that they shall leave the fate of the world of men in the hands of men coz it's only fair that they do so. And the key to man's salvation or destruction will be their daughter.

The prophecy that came along with this legend was that on the eve of her 12th birthday, (i just thought of doubling the number of days that God took to create the world... Any ideas with this number thing? :) she shall have the power to open either the Gates of Heaven to meet her Father, the angel... And with the Gates of Heaven open, all the power of heaven will be released to cleanse all evil in the world. But if the world influences her to go the other way, that is... to flood the Gates of Hell open to meet her Mother,,, then the world shall be embedded in chaos.

Now the daughter of the angel and the devil is one year away from her 12th year and the power that will enable her to open the gates is flourishing. The Wizards of the Brotherhood of Heroes felt this growth of power, and having foreseen the prophecy regarding this girl, sent 3 of their top heroes to guide her and protect her from the influences of evil. But the Sorcerers of the Black Lands, have also felt her presence... And taking no risks, sent an army to get her.

The Heroes got to her first and they started a journey towards the Temple of Light which was a one year voyage towards the end of the earth. That is where the Gates of Heaven shall open. They were but one step ahead of the army that was after them. And with that one year of running and hiding, she had learned to love and respect her Hero protectors. They had reached the Temple and at their dismay, found a second army of the Black Lands guarding the gates. They had no choice but to fight their way through coz they're so close. They had managed to reach the pedestal wherein the girl will utilize her power to open the Gates of heaven... She had made it at the top but nothing was happening, she had no idea what to do next... She saw the her Hero friends were in trouble. The horde was closing in on them... And they were getting weary of the horde. Instinctively, she raises her hands and suddenly casts a mighty spell that summons some magical archers that bombard the horde with beautiful fury. It was the first time that she ever used her power... And she used it for good. That was the key to opening the gates of Heaven. The good guys always win man... That's that :)

SYMBOLISM:
We are all born with freewill, so we all have the tendency to do both good and evil things (LAVA WINGS,ANGEL WINGS). It does'nt matter whether there are a million people out there willing to stab you in the back and take you down just to get what they want(BLACK ARMY). Being with the few, right kind of people (HEROES), is how we'll end up in the right place (Temple, Gates of Heaven).

TITLE: "RAIN"
Called it that coz everything in the pic seems to be pouring down. From the horde of the black army, the lava drops from the lava wing, the ruffled feather of the angel wings, to the elemental arrows of the archers.

jbballaran
09-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Wazzup Hof? :) Tnx for checkin' my thread out. Hope you like the final concept that I just posted too.

jbballaran
09-23-2005, 03:22 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1127485338_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1127485338_large.jpg)

Hope you guys checked out the story that goes along with this new sketch. If you havent, and got time to read, check it out in my challenge page. It explains this piece further.

Anyway, I made the main character into a girl to make it seem more spectacular that she's the one who's kicking ass in this scene of armies and warriors. She provides a kinda irony in the scene.

I also chose the icy blue thing and the fire/lava effect to represent good and evil. These two things cannot exist in their extreme states, but in this case, they're working together. It's human nature for us to do bad things and at the same time we're all doing our best to be good.

I'm gonna add some kneeling statues of some angels in the background too. They're supporting this big stucture with archs and their heads are gonna be tilted to the girl's spell, make it seem like even they were astounded by the girl's performance. I want everything in the scene to be pointing to what the girl's doing.

I also added this glowing grid effect on the pedestal thing that the girl's standing on... Im still trying to come up with a better design for this coz it looks too futuristic... But I think it's pretty cool. What do you guys think?

I'm probably gonna use this composition since it's got everything i want to show the viewers. We'll see. Hope you guys crit and comment me. Tnx!

jugeras
09-23-2005, 03:55 PM
halo john. youve been busy :thumbsup:. interesting concept. will be keeping tabs as well. the color palette looks very interesting. hirit ko??
1. you can add more foreground warriors right around shoulder level to give more depth
2. yup the pedestal thing doesnt really go with the mood - glyphs/runes perhaps
3. gusto mo b ogres or trolls kasama ng mga kalaban?

SPECTACULAR? (http://http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=279567)
HD (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=272206)
AK (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=268960&highlight=abunai)
S&K (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=254188&highlight=santermo)
M&S (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=244161&highlight=jubei)

FrozZT
09-23-2005, 08:11 PM
I guess i wont get my swordsmen after all :(.. Never mind that, this looks great! I like the spell and how comes down like a tornado! Also like your story, polish it up a bit and it'll be great!

jbballaran
09-24-2005, 06:19 AM
jugeras: Glad you checked out my thread dude :) Glad you like the colors. I had planned for a more darker surrounding to make the light effect more striking, but that would show a lot less of the background. Hope I find a good balance with the lighting in regards to showing the environment, and making the light seem more spectacular.

Shoulder level?... Hmm.. You mean like the guy in the foreground at the bottom of the picture wherein the picture cuts off on his shoulders? If I got that right, then I'll draw more guys beside him.
You're right. Perhaps some glowing embossed or depressed figures of angels looking up at her or something.
Ogres and trolls - some bigger creatures in the picture right? I thought of doing that but I wanted to make it seem like the horde's having a hard time reaching the heroes. If there were bigger creatures, then the heroes arent very safe on the high ground they're on and I wanna make it seem like moving up on this thing towards the girl's the only chance of survival for the heroes.
Tnx for the suggestions pre. I'll just visit your thread once in a while to offer my own thoughts!

FrozZT: Hi man. I want the sword dudes in the screen too, but I'm afraid it's just gonna block off some stuff in the picture, push the horde out of the scene, and somewhat "steal the show" from the arrow chicks. But I'm glad you still like it :) Any suggestions on how to polish up the story? Tnx for reading the that by the way :thumbsup:

Korline
09-24-2005, 06:57 AM
prety strong concepts and colors , nice creatures,
but I can only see the top part of the last image so it's hard to be helpful, not sure wat's wrong
anyway good luck :applause:

Arc80
09-25-2005, 06:30 AM
Hmm... i agree with pareng Jugeras about the 3 things he said. Plus, masyadong equal at even yung composition mo. May nang-yayari sa taas, may nang-yayari sa baba. Personally, masyadong equal yung mga actions at visual effects. Other than that, love the concept of the story meng. Ayos at yung colour choice gumagana. So keep it up. abangan ko uli :thumbsup:

ingat

jbballaran
09-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Korline: Hmm... The image might be too big for your browser or something. But the size of my posts have always been the same thruout. I'll make my posts smaller in the future. Tnx Korline!

Arc80: Musta tsong? I guess tama ka dun sa masyadong equal yung dating.. Kayalang gusto ko talaga nasa gitna yung babae't heroes para mukha talagang surrounded sila. Balak ko pa nga ipaikot sa kanila yung mga anghel na nasa background... Kayalang lalong babalanse yun :) Pakita ko sa inyo sa next sketch ko. I'll just try and tilt the horizon para di mag mukhang equal masyado. And about adding other creatures for variety, I'll add some smaller and medium sized creatures to achieve that. Tnx for the helpful crits pre! :buttrock:

rongen
09-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Mga Tol.. Ilan kayong pinoy dito? I'm glad to see you all here. Goodluck. Nice concept indeed.

jbballaran
09-27-2005, 06:10 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1127841049_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1127841049_large.jpg)

Got my Wacom back! :)

Considered Jugeras' suggestion about adding some other creatures in the pic. I didnt sketch the additional creatures clearly but I added in some troll things and those flying thinga-ma-gigs with long scorpion-like tails in the scene.

Considered Arc80's comment about the picture being too "equal-looking". Tilted the horizon and lowered the point of view just an itty bit for a more dynamic look. I guess it worked. The girl seems more on top of the world now than before.

Tnx for the tips mga tsong!

Took the scene outside again just to see how it feels. The image I previously posted was just too crazy, I did'nt know where to put my eyes on when I viewed it. So I toned down the arrows. Made it seem like most of the Maidens are targetting the bigger creatures, and leaving most of the puny ones to the heroes. Now it doesnt look like its raining anymore. Forgot to draw the ruffled feathers falling/blowing in the wind. Oh well. Also added more heroes, coz I made the pedestal thing bigger.

I cant decide whether to leave the scene outside and just put some mountains in there or put it back in the temple and just play around with the kneeling statues. Thoughts? :)

Arc80
09-29-2005, 04:47 AM
Leave it like this. It's definately a lot better Tol. Just a suggestion naman, if you want, you can actually put a hint of some mountains at the very back, show the entrace to the temple on the right side, and put some close up shots of creatures jumping around on the foreground to give it a more sense of the depth of field. Sige, kayod lang nang kayod.
Can't wait till you flesh things out more. Nag hihintay sa design nang mga characters mo :bounce:

abangan at ingatz

Squibbit
09-29-2005, 05:48 AM
good job with these color display sketches, they're all fun to watch..

.. and you too, if in doubt , could try mixing everything together,
having a huge temple with clouds (or some fumes) inside.. :)

Korline
09-29-2005, 06:29 AM
hey dude ,
no dude it's my f**n internet at home, and I've been to busy at work so, anyway now it's working ok I guess,
and thanks for your advise
anyway, what I really like is the let say angels with bows coming out of the light, in this dark forest that i think is knock out,
I like those drastic colors, but the composition worries me a bit it's to center, the last one I think is the best one, but I see youre loosing those angels,
I would make them the firsrt plan, than the crazy crowd and than the fire and forest very dark, but just keep working see what happens :wip:
:scream:

jbballaran
09-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Arc80: Wazup pare... A much dynamic tilt on the picture noh? :) Good advice. And you just gave me another idea about putting in a hint of the mountains on one side, and putting in a hint of the temple on the other side. Di lang ako sure dun sa jumping creatures on the foreground idea. Coz if they jump, they're gonna block a lot of the stuff happening on the pedestal.. Plus they wont have much room to even actually try and jump. So I might stick with this. I do seem to be having a problem with expressing the depth of field thing... Maybe it's just the sketch. I dont really want to detail it, but rather just give you an idea for the layout of elements. I cant wait for the character designs too. But the composition's really important so I'll take what I can get from you guys. Tnx. Banat narin pare! Ganda yung bago mong iniisip na concept :thumbsup:

Squibbit: Nice pic man. From hippy to cowboy eh :scream: I will do exactly that... just mix in all the ideas that best fit this concept. Hope I pinpoint the desired impact for the scene. Tnx!

Korline: Hi man. Glad you're able to see the image now. You've got a point with the "too-center" composition. Except, that's exactly what I'm going for coz the scene's pretty crazy and I dont want the itty-bitty-lil-tiny-almost-pea-sized girl, who's the star of the show, to get lost in the gangbang. Plus, I also want to emphasize in the scene that the arrow-chicks are firing on all directions and that the hero group's surrounded. I guess this tilted horizon is the best that I can do to somewhat "uneven" the composition. I'll try to think of something better. But in the meantime, I'll stick with this. Unless you've got a better suggestion. I'm open dude. Tnx! :)

anilduran
09-30-2005, 03:00 PM
interesting concept, good luck...

jbballaran
10-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Tnx anil6tr!

jbballaran
10-02-2005, 03:44 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1128264284_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1128264284_large.jpg)

I couldnt find the mood to update my "rain" concept, so I thought I'd sketch something else to get the boredom out of my system. This is what came out and now I'm going like, hmmm.... This looks interesting...

The story is this huge demon overlord crashes into the temple of angels and starts smashing on the idols, the walls, everything... He even kills some of the angels. He's about to take off but the remaining angels in the temple dont like it when their place is defiled. They cant fly up to follow the huge demon coz their wings arent strong enough to contend with the downward draft caused by the huge wings of the demon. So they cling on his hammer, and plan to climb up to his face and stab him there, since the hide on his body's too thick anyway for their lil swords to do damage there. So they go for the face to take this big-ass-bully down. I call this sketch "The Ascent". Thoughts? :)

Wont be updating much after this. Got work to do.

Korline
10-02-2005, 04:44 PM
yo man,
this is mind blowing, that color and how you blend it its .... I don't know I'm speachless :bounce:
my sugestion is to mix those two ideas and you've got urself stunning composition
to the first one (if you still gonna work on) my suggestion would be lower down the camera, shorten perspective, you might not get as much crowd but you'll get the awsome shot on those chixs with bows, still thinking :banghead:
:twisted: :love:

botched
10-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Nice! I like the sketch, the color, and the narrative.. very detailed.

Nagual
10-03-2005, 04:09 AM
This is your best concept so far, the hole battle ould be Epic but cling on to his hammer is not an spectacular moment, take the same battle but get a more intense moment..it ould be a really impressive peace for the challenge

jbballaran
10-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Korline: Tnx man. I've decided that I'll work on this huge demon concept and just borrow some ideas from my previous ideas. Even I was surprised at how this thing turned out.

botched: Tnx for checkin the sketch out man. Glad you liked it.

Nagual: You're right man. This whole hammer clinging thing's too subtle compared to a battle scene. Except I think a battle plus this huge guy might make the scene "too full" of spectacular stuff. I might go overboard or something. I'll try sketchin' it out to see how a battle scene would feel though. Tnx.

mannix8
10-03-2005, 11:31 AM
hey ahbeejieh,

thanks for visiting and now I came to see what you are cooking.
this could be a winner your image looks dramatic. it does have a potential.
keep it coming.

what i noticed is the face of the character- maybe you should make it
more recognizable.

W-I-L
10-03-2005, 11:59 AM
that concept sketch is really really great. love the idea... sectacular for sure.. go for it!

Arc80
10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
AYOS, AYOS pare :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Love the damn composition and colour bro! Naks, ang ganda nang dating and the demon looks AWESOME. I do agree about the issue of the hammer just sitting like that.

Suggestion lang Tol: yung mga angel sa bottom left corner, maybe take them off. Personally, it is much better to see just a couple of angels fighting this demon than a bunch of them. It shows struggle and the determination to fight with all you got.
You could try out adding an angel sa bottom right corner coming in the camera, naka sayad yung espada nya sa tubig at nakikita mo yung splatters. Plus, you kinda have a pincer attack formation going on here :)

sige, banat lang nang banat at inom lang nang kape :bounce:

birdybear
10-05-2005, 03:57 AM
if i were you i'd go for the concept you just created. it strikes me as very compelling.

jbballaran
10-05-2005, 09:31 AM
mannix8: Tnx for droppin in man. There will be definitely be some expressive moods in the faces of these guys. Will work on that in the future. Tnx!

W!L: Got your vote on this one man. Tnx!

Arc80: Wazup Arc? I agree about the struggle thing... I want to make the scene seem desperate for the angels so I really dont want a lot of them going after this demon. The demon's suppose to symbolize a mountain that seems impossible to climb. But the angels still go for it. I was actually plannin on making the demon bigger and the angels smaller to emphasize desperation. But I might lose the angels... Anyway, Nagual's suggestion about the battle scene's got a point too. A battle scene would definitely be a more spectacular render, but I dont know if that's the feel I want for this pic. We'll see. About those angels in the background. I wanted a kind of audience witnessing this situation. And the background's gonna be empty without some sort of elements in it... Maybe some sculptures will suffice. I dunno. We'll see. Nakalabas na Nescafe ko pare... Deretso ko na ngang tutunggain sa lalagyan, wala ng timplahan! :scream:

birdybear: Got your vote on this one too man! Tnx.
Got a lotta work to finish. Just passing by to reply to your c&c's. Tnx everyone!

ChrisThatGuy
10-13-2005, 06:03 PM
I like the most recent image, but the comment about it not being the spectacular moment makes sense. Maybe you could show the moment when the first angel has reached the demon's face and is plunging his sword in, sending the demon reeling backwards.

jbballaran
10-13-2005, 07:58 PM
First off, tnx for noticing the concept man. No time to update and contemplate on any image at the moment, but your suggestion is definitely cooler. Something smaller, taking down something humongous is more spectacular. I'll keep that in mind. I've just been around checking up on everyone else's work and I dont even have time to comment on most of them. Man, some of the dudes here finished their work already! And I'm not even halfway there. Damn... Got no choice man. Lotsa work I gotta finish to maintain my reputation in this world of design. I've definitely lost my momentum in this contest. May the Gods of 2D concept illustration help me to pull something outta my guts to finish this one. Tnx man :buttrock: Appreciate it.

Screenblind
10-25-2005, 02:52 PM
I love the most recent melee going on in the 'rain' image, but YEAH - the new ones good too. Love the colours and the characters, not sure about the pose though.... I didn't read it as a hammer until I saw it mentioned in the text, and cause of the angle, it looks a little as if the huge demon is just slowly keeling over. Not sure how to choose between the ideas though - like'em both :)

jbballaran
10-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Tnx Avatarist. Your comments on the devil concept's right on the money. His feet's suppose to be off the ground, and he's suppose to be in a "flying out" position that's why he's kinda keeling over. I agree that the hammer's definitely not in the picture with the way I positioned it. The scene's a bit too subtle for my taste too.

With all that being said, I'm going for the Rain concept. I love the chaos in these kinds of battles and the concept's as original as it can get with the Arrow Hotties... Most of the challenger's got some kinda huge monster in their picture destroying, or trying to eat something.

Just looking for the right references. Hopefully I can start with the execution next week. Tnx again!

NinjaA55N
10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Love the angle of the camera, and the devil not looking straight to the viewer (something fresh these days :)) I think if u make the right abient with some sort of desert storm or something, this would be quite a spectacular image... and keep the monochromatic scheme, it fits well to the theme.

jbballaran
10-27-2005, 07:06 AM
Tnx for noticin' the concept NinjaASSN. Except there's too many huge monster themes in this contest already. I'm going for the Arrow Chicks in my last concept :thumbsup:

Korline
10-27-2005, 07:25 AM
just waiting for something new :love:

jbballaran
10-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Tnx Korline. That makes two of us :scream:

Arc80
10-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Hurry up with the update TOL!!! Tagal naman, hehehe

Ingat

jbballaran
10-29-2005, 01:29 AM
Hehe :D Try ko mamyang gabi pre. Kahit mga costumes lang, napapagiwanan na nga ako e :scream: Di talaga ako makasingit e, hirap tumanggi sa mga projects tsong :deal: Pero tama ka, kailangan na humataw! Tnx pare!

jbballaran
10-29-2005, 11:06 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1130580413_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1130580413_large.jpg)

Found some time to do some sketches.

HEROES:
Changed the pose of the girl and gave her a teddy bear to make her look more vulnerable, and therefore more spectacular when she pulls out the "Arrow Hotties" spell.

The general idea for the look of the heroes is to make it seem like they've been on a long journey before reaching this place. Robes, jackets and stuff like that seem to give out a good impression of that idea. They're gonna have minimal armor since heavy armor will only encumber them on their trip. I also wanna make them look like refugees who've been roughed out a bit. So none of them are gonna be your usual clean and handsome heroes who are wearing skimpy clothes. I want a more realistic approach to their look. I'll leave the skimpy clothing to the Arrow Hotties.

HORDE:

I want to make the badguys as ugly, dark and as hellish as possible,,, and as far-away looking from the usual orc and goblin look. I want them deformed at some point, like the big bloke over here. Some parts of their skin and muscles will be torn-off revealing some metal-like bones, almost machine-flesh like. Stuff like that really looks freaky.

That's the idea on how everyone else is gonna look... The only thing that'll look different from the sketches here will be the Arrow Chicks, but they're gonna be wearing as little clothes as possible, so that'll be pretty easy to pull off ;P Comments?

Line Art's coming up next when I find the time.

Arc80
10-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Some nice sketches pre :thumbsup: very interesting style. I like your first idea, pero bakit ayaw mong gawin yung isa. I really love the composition on that one and the size relationship and it has a lot of atmophere to play with. I know there are a lot of people doing big monster, but i just feel that that image has a lot of potential and promising. Why pare...BAKIT :cry: Abangan ko na lang pre :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ingat

jbballaran
10-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Hehe... Ayos ka pare, nakakatuwa words mo :thumbsup: It all depends on the mood talaga tsong... The Devil idea looks really great pero nung dumami na mga halimaw na nagsisilakihan dito sa contest, nagfade yung gana ko sa concept e. Kaya, back to the previous concept. Masbuo narin kasi yung nakikita ko sa utak kong image nung concept nung "Rain" e, compared dun sa "Ascent". Yaan mo pre, para sayo, tatapusin ko yung piece nayun even if it's not for this contest :scream:

jbballaran
11-01-2005, 03:00 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1130857229_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1130857229_large.jpg)

Covered the eyes of the arrow chicks with the idea that she's gonna be the one bringing down justice on the horde. Cheezy line coming up>>> "Justice is blind" ;P The helmet makes them look less sexier but they definitely look cooler making it seem like they're firing on all directions blindly.

And the tall, multiple-armed dude is the hundreds of orc/goblinish things that'll be attacking the heroes. It's nothing new, but I cant think of any other way to make it look different, be it compared to the creatures of LOTR.

The final outcome of most of the sketches will probably look drastically different in the end since improvising has always been the fun part of drawing stuff like this.

Line art coming up.

Arc80
11-01-2005, 07:47 PM
I like the armour idea and the covering the eyes area. Very cool and mysterious looking. Pero, nasaan yung buong image ;) I'm waiting pre...waiting...hehehe.

Ingat

jbballaran
11-02-2005, 08:56 AM
I'll be starting on the lineart soon pare, as soon as I finish some work :) Hope I finish it soon excited nako magsimula sa lineart! :P Tnx men :thumbsup:

jbballaran
11-04-2005, 03:24 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131117866_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131117866_large.jpg)

I've completely lost focus in this contest and with what scene I wanna do... Decided to kinda wing it with a more simpler scene for the Rain concept, get lose with how I'm gonna develop this new layout in my head and let's just see what'll come out in the end. Pretty drastic move at this point... But what the heck... Ladyluck's with me if this one turns out ok...

jbballaran
11-06-2005, 03:17 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131290263_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131290263_large.jpg)

Sorry if I've been confused with what I wanna do. But I'm definitely happy with this one; concept, layout, and setting wise. Tried to combine the Ascent and Rain concept and this is what came out. It's a battlescene. I'll just explain more of the scene as it develops. Tnx for all your comments by the way. Helped me get to this point. Time to get back in this game. Starting to feel the excitement again, along with the pressure to complete this. Peace~!!!

pleatsmaster
11-06-2005, 05:33 PM
glad to hear you got your focus back! i know how it feels to be lost on the road.
your previous color rendering shows promising result in mood and action:)

jbballaran
11-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Yeah man. It's all about the mood... You cant go on doing something if you're not whole-hearted about the whole "feel" of things you know? :beer: Glad you understand and tnx for droppin' by.

jbballaran
11-07-2005, 02:46 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131331599_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131331599_large.jpg)

Laid down different values to clearly see if I got enough foreground and farground elements to create enough depth in the scene. Flippin' the image too to see problems in the picture. Comments, crits always welcome.

FrozZT
11-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Hey! Glad you decided to give this a chance! I like the dark mood right now.. The spell as a lightsource will work great i think! Take a moment to think about the gore/blood thing.. It can be a bad thing in the judging! I hope you make it in time!

Good luck!

maurodelia
11-07-2005, 11:32 AM
i like the subtle mood of tis one.
NIce ble tones. Keep on the good work !

Arc80
11-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Musta na meng? Looking good Tol. Very nice atmosphere. The lighting will definately work well with this piece. Just be careful with the two characters on your foreground. They are very centralize and they seem to steal the attention away from your main character. Either tanggalin mo sila o magdagdag ka nang iba (move those two to the right sid and add some more that's receading towards to the main character).

Keep it up meng. Gumaganda yung composition mo :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ingat

jbballaran
11-07-2005, 05:49 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131385779_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131385779_large.jpg)

Tryin' to feel the lighting. This is more like a concept sketch rather than a coloring in progress coz there are still some stuff I'm gonna change in the pic. The head of the Big Troll-like thing aint recognizable anymore coz of all the arrows, so I'm gonna tilt it down making it seem like he's trying to duck out of the arrows. I'm not gonna make the arrows fill up the screen anymore coz that's just gonna make the scene look too crazy... The Big Guy's gonna be eating all the arrows that the chicks are gonna throw at him. Gave it a downpour to make all the armor shine despite of the dark setting... They're also gonna be fighting in mud, dirtying up their armor, making the battle look cooler, as well as emphasize the clean, white, divine presence of the girl.

The changes I mentioned are gonna be done along with the detailing which is coming up next. My favorite part! :)

jbballaran
11-07-2005, 06:02 PM
FrozZT and Arc80: The whole gory, impalement thing had crossed my mind that it might disturb the judges; as well as, the two fore figures stealing the spotlight from the girl... So I moved the two lovebirds further down into the crowd to make it seem like they're actually a part of the battle and arent trying to make out or something, and to lessen the emphasis on the gore. But I'm definitely not taking the impalement out. I think it adds to the coolness of the piece and besides, this is a after all a battle... and shit happens :twisted: (pardon the term but you get what i mean :scream:) And c'mon, it's just one impalement right? :shrug: Tnx for the crits guys. Keep 'em coming :)

maurodelia: tnx for the feedback man. The mood was inspired from The Two Towers' Battle for Helm's Deep :thumbsup:

Arc80
11-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Looking good, looking good. Kayod lang nang Kayod pre :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will there be any warm colours around or gawin mo lang mon?

Abangan...
Ingat

jbballaran
11-11-2005, 06:08 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131689313_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131689313_large.jpg)

Here comes the pain!... Well, atleast the pain of not getting enough sleep. Barely started with the detailing. Having trouble finding time to keep pushing with the updates. Having doubts if I can make it. Anyway, here's how the guys-battling-it-out'll look like. Not much of an update, just wanted to post something for the sake of not looking too left behind... Although that's exactly what's happening at the moment... Me, getting left behind... ~Peace! ;P

jbballaran
11-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Wazup Arc? :P No warms colors for this picture. It'll be as grey, blue, and black as much as possible... Tnx for droppin' by pre :)

jbballaran
11-12-2005, 07:21 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131823313_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1131823313_large.jpg)

Just showing off how little I can do in such a huge amount of time ;P I dont like working at the whole area at one time when it comes to detailing... I get bored with the piece easily that way. I like to go detailing stuff that I actually feel like working on at the moment. That way it kinda makes the whole rendering fun, and it lessens the idea that I'm actually "working" on this piece. I'm just not sure if that affects the speed of the whole process...

Anyway, it's really gonna be grey all the way with the mood. I want everything in the pic dark except for the girl and the monster.

gaianix
11-12-2005, 11:13 PM
ops so long way to expand idea i m waiting for ur work its look great etod:thumbsup:

jbballaran
11-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Tnx gaianix :)

jbballaran
11-18-2005, 08:03 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1132344216_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1132344216_large.jpg)

Let's see... I got only a million things left to do in this pic... And I still have like 16 days to finish it. I wonder...

zpapageo
11-19-2005, 02:42 AM
Hey ahbeejieh! I havent seen this in a while and it lookss really cool. I like this new direction a lot. The composition is strong. I dont know what your planning as far as color, but I like the dark monochrome effect youve got going on. It really looks like a hellish armageddon battle. Good luck, I hope you finish this.

jbballaran
11-19-2005, 04:55 AM
zpapageo: Hey, tnx man. Your piece is awesome too. I've been keeping tabs on it since the beginning :thumbsup: I'm sticking with the dark overall mood of this piece man. Glad you like it. Let's keep pushing eh? Got 2 weeks left :eek: Goodluck!

jbballaran
11-22-2005, 02:09 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1132625382_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1132625382_large.jpg)

Started detailing on the girls. Now, I'm gonna be using the girl I just rendered, as a reference for the rest of 'em. Things are starting to get tight around here with the deadline slowly creepin' down everyone's neck. I'll try and lie low with some work for the next couple of days... It's probably a good idea to have my eyelids surgically removed too, so it'll actually be hard to fall asleep. One thing though... If I dont make it to the deadline, I atleast need to make myself go wow with what'll come out of all this. ~ Peace.

Arc80
11-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Naks, astig!!! I like what you're doing to their costumes. I'm wondering if the image might get a bit too monochromatic. Alam ko maraming pang kailangan gawin, so hintay na lang ako.

ingatz

jbballaran
11-24-2005, 08:34 AM
I'll be adding hints of flesh tones in the pic para maiwasan ng onti yung monochromatic feel. Pero as much as possible gusto ko kasi maintain yung dark mood pre. Dami pang gagawin. Tnx for visiting pare! Ingats din

jbballaran
11-24-2005, 09:31 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1132867903_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1132867903_large.jpg)

toned down the flames and gave the girls some legs.

NinjaA55N
11-25-2005, 03:27 PM
I think u r doing really fine, those fairies r marvelous as well as those soliders fighting on the ground. I hope u'll finish the background and monster in time. If may I, I would suggest some small amount of another color to the pic. Dark yellow or something in the first plan, to seperate it from the background, to make some contrast and bring more depth to the pic. Only my opinion, but I thought it would be nice to point that out. Keep going with ur good work process and make sure to finish it in time! good luck :)

jbballaran
11-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Tnx NinjaASSN. Starting to get frustrated that I cant commit just a lil bit of time to finishing my first ever contest. I'm really doing my best to balance things out with work. But too much to do at the moment. Tnx for the suggestion about adding some color in the pic. I'll try and sort it out a bit, hope I got time to play around with it a lil more, but as of now my main concern is just to keep detailing on it and project onscreen the image of the scene Ive got in my head. Tnx again.

jugeras
11-26-2005, 10:14 PM
rock n roll nlng kinabukasan. istorbo trabaho. ha ha. keep going

jbballaran
11-27-2005, 06:10 AM
Hehe. Sinabi mo pa! :thumbsup:

Korline
11-27-2005, 06:59 AM
what's up,
this looks pretty good, like the colors you've pick
if that helps any with the frustration, I'm scrambling pretty bad for some time to finish my mess, so keep going, cheers :D

jbballaran
11-27-2005, 10:53 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133132014_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133132014_large.jpg)

Finished with the bodies. Still some minor adjustments on the anatomy and costumes needed... But who's got time for that? :P ~peace.

jbballaran
11-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Hey Korline. Yeah, scramblin's pretty much the right word to describe what were doing here :) But I guess it aint gonna work if we get frustrated with trying to make the deadline, and end up with a piece were not happy with... I just need to relax a bit that's all. Tnx for droppin' in man.

zpapageo
11-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Excellent, dude! I love how those freaky chicks are coming out. Those masks are creepy cool.
I'm also tearing my hair out trying to finish. I'll be lucky if I can get mine to "good enough" level and then I'll come back after to truly finish it.
Keep at it, cuz this piece's got it going on!

jbballaran
11-28-2005, 09:17 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133212662_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133212662_large.jpg)

started with the big guy. i want the clouds to look like waves. still need to play with it some more.

jbballaran
11-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Wazup zpapageo? My hair's fallin' off on it's own at this point :P I'm tryin' to enjoy this as much as tryin' to make the deadline. The two don't go together very well, since it's only a couple of days left. But I can see that you're a fast worker man... You'll make it. Hope I make it too. Keep those hair-tearin'-fingers of yours offa your scalp and keep bashin' on that tablet man! Battle scenes I love, and yours aint no exception :scream:

Arc80
11-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Keep going meng. Umaayos narin. Can't wait to see more details. Those magical archers are looking awesome. Definately dig the blues. They give a feel of magical being, which they are, hehehe. No critzs from me right now pre. Subaybayan ko nalang.

ingat :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

zpapageo
11-30-2005, 04:39 PM
ahbeejieh, the full scene is awesome! I love the foreground fighters. They are definitely working. That will be a good idea with the clouds. I hope you work it out.
I'm not crazy about the mouth on the demon's arm. It's standing out too much like a valentine heart and it really seems to draw the eye more than it should. Everything else rocks! I cant wait to see more.

jbballaran
11-30-2005, 11:28 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133393296_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133393296_large.jpg)

Set the girls' heads on fire, worked a bit on the big guy.

jbballaran
11-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Arc80: Keep going to the max na talaga tol! Tapusin na natin to ng matapos na :)

zpapageo: I agree about the mouth-in-arm thing. It really distracts a lot. But I kinda wanted to give those tentacles some kind of purpose... I did'nt want it to be just some big lump on the big guy's arm. I drew some guys wrapped around at the tip of some of the tentacles, and they're like on their way to the mouth-in-arm thing. It does seem pretty silly at first, but I got used to looking at it and in the end it looks ok... Think of it this way... The big guy's a demon prince... And the guy on his arm's his twin. Pretty cool now huh? :P Hehe.. Nyway, I'll try and post it without the mouth-in-arm thing, and hope you guys can comment more about it. Tnx.

zpapageo
12-01-2005, 01:46 AM
ahbeejieh, I take back what I said. With your latest update, the mouth doesnt distract me anymore. I like it now.
Fantastic effect with the sky and the flaming hair. The detailing on the demon prince is looking awesome. I love his spiky hairbones That really is a terrifying creature. Keep going, this is getting better and better

jbballaran
12-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Ayt then :) With that being said, I guess the mouth stays. Tnx for the feedback man :thumbsup:

Korline
12-01-2005, 07:46 PM
great update :bounce: :bounce:
awsome what you 've done to the sky and their heads, :buttrock:
it's getting close, but there's still some time left :twisted:
cheers :)

jbballaran
12-01-2005, 11:48 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133480890_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133480890_large.jpg)

I'm calling it "demon prince" from now on, tnx to zpapageo's question's regarding the second mouth in the arm :P That "thing" on his arm is his twin. Pretty sickly, but I've already got a story that'll go well with it. So hope I finish in time.

Let's see...

It's suppose to be a wildfire look to the arrows when it hits the prince. I'm not sure if the effect I painted's good enough. I'm still gonna smudge it up to give more effect.

Gave the prince a tunic to show that there's wind blowing from the girls, or simply to emphasize his movement...

I wanted the mace he's holding to look like it's a piece from a tower or something, so that it'll look like it's really gonna hurt when he bashes the chicks' heads in.

~Peace.

jbballaran
12-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Hey Korline. Yep. Wee bit of time left. But I'm sure we'll make it... I'm just not sure how sure I am with that :p Keep punching man :argh:

Arc80
12-02-2005, 04:36 AM
Keep going pre, keep going :wip: maybe some ambient lights or refected light on the bottom area. a bit too dark right now. Hard to see some of the action down there.

Clouds is definately looking nice. Ayos din yung mga babae mo, hehe.

Ingat and be back to see more :buttrock:

jbballaran
12-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Wazup Arc80? Have'nt seen any latest updates from you. Yep, I'm not finished with the guys at the bottom yet. The light coming from the girl's gonna hit them, so their outline's gonna be pretty visible when I finish with them. Tnx for droppin' by. Ingats din :scream:

Korline
12-04-2005, 08:00 AM
whts up, :bounce:
are you done yet, hey man hury up,
anyway it's getting better, almost there :thumbsup:
good luck, seeya :D

jbballaran
12-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi korline. Just finishing up some work so I can go all the way with my challenge piece. I'm gonna stay up the whole night if I have to. Crunch time. So be it :eek: :thumbsup:

Arc80
12-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Dalian mo Tol. Masyado ka namang suspencefull eh :argh: Naghihintay nalang sa final image. Balik ulit ako :wip: :wip:

Ingat

jbballaran
12-05-2005, 05:55 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133805312_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133805312_large.jpg)

Hi guys. Just relaxin' with the extra time given. I want to make the image as close to finish as possible before I post, but heck,,, for the sake of posting something, here'r some shots of the details... Congrats to all those who are done with their entries already, and goodluck to all of yous. ~peace

zpapageo
12-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Excellent details, I love the armour and headresses of the human warriors. It makes them look like a religious order or something. Great work.

angel
12-05-2005, 08:38 PM
hi, those creatures designs are great! and the mochromatic palette works really well in your piece, nice job:thumbsup:

jbballaran
12-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Arc80: Lapit na tsong:arteest: Excited na nga ako e... Lintik, buti ka pa natapos kagad!

zpapageo: Yeah, they're kinda worshipping the girls who's casting the spell. That's a simplified outline of a girl on the sides of their headdress... I think :scream:

SNoWs: Hey tnx for checkin the image out man. Glad you like it :thumbsup: Yep, I think the monochromatic look preserves the mood of what I'm tryin to portray well.

jbballaran
12-06-2005, 03:14 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133882074_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133882074_large.jpg)

Here's the whole image. I still want to add and change a couple of stuff but I might not have time... I'm still not sure about how to upload it to the site too.. I've never used FTP before... Scaaaaary :P Next stop: FINAL IMAGE.

ChrisThatGuy
12-06-2005, 04:42 PM
I think it needs some darker areas in the sky to give it more depth. Strange, but cool.

jbballaran
12-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Cool suggestion. I'll use it. Tnx!

zpapageo
12-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Looking fantastic, ahbeejieh! The edge lighting on the warriors looks great.The headress symbol is a cool detail. Dont wait too long to submit. the traffic will be heavy.

jbballaran
12-06-2005, 11:31 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133911882_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/8143/8143_1133911882_large.jpg)

SYMBOLISM/STORY:

In this battle that we call life, the enemy is equipped with armor and is trained to swing an 80 pound flanged mace on your head… Man must fight through the dark, muddy, rocky, and slippery plains of existence trusting only their own instincts… But running on instincts alone is not enough. The soldiers will not last the night… For the Demon Prince of Pride and Ego is the Champion of the opposition, and his power over men is absolute. Fortunately, Man also has their own Champion… They have the Woman. With her Charm, she provides light in the darkest places; with her Grace; she sends down a rain of inspiration that boosts willpower; and with her Strength, she provides a barrage of fury to those who dare stand in her way… She is the Pillar of Man… And she is Man’s only hope against the brutal realities of this world.

CONCEPT:

The concept started out with an idea that it might be cool to paint a woman, graceful clean, charming and all, amongst these dirty, big, strapping, heavily armored warriors in a savage battle of life and death. And I wanted it to look like the men are protecting the woman, but at the same time, the woman is also providing them power by blessing them with an enchanted rain spell, as well as, providing them cover from this huge monster twins representing pride and ego. I really think that pride and ego kinda limit man’s view on how to solve most of his problems in life. Most of us guys don’t admit it, but pride and ego really is a big thing for us, considering the stereotype roles we play in this world.

I made the men’s eyes glow to project the power that they’re getting from the woman. I chose rain as the visual symbol that boosts the men’s energy in the scene, as well as the main representation of this piece, coz there truly is something magical when it rains… To most countries, rain is important coz it makes their crops grow… To a soldier in a hot battlefield, it provides refreshment that seems to make his inventory lighter.

To every man in this world, the woman is the most important being in his life. To a child, it’s his mother; to a husband, it’s his wife; to a king, it’ his queen… This piece is dedicated to all women out there.Tnx to all those who visited and provided C&C’s to my thread! Glad to have met you guys even just through here. Thanks to the CG Society pips too for this opportunity. I learned a lot. Special thanks to my sis, aka Lyneran, for letting me hog her computer till I finished this piece and for letting me use her Wacom! Tnx Panet!

It was in the past… It is in the present… So shall it be in the future that women will continue to provide magic for men all over the world till the end of time… The Woman: A truly SPECTACULAR being!

Mythmaker
12-06-2005, 11:38 PM
I really like it! - Great style and idea - well done! :thumbsup:

jbballaran
12-07-2005, 12:16 AM
zpapageo: wazup man? we freekin' made it! :thumbsup: hehe. I actually almost didnt make it. had to rush the damn strokes of rain... I aint too happy about it, but what else can you do right? Crappy is a lot better than no entry right? :) I'm still yet to check your final piece out. I'll be right there.

Mythmaker: hey man tnx for droppin by :) Glad you like my piece :thumbsup:

Steve-h
12-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Congrats on finishing, you've got a great imagination.

:thumbsup:

jugeras
12-07-2005, 03:45 AM
tol this ones for you :banghead: - o gising k n b. congrats sa finish n tnx a ton for the support. pm m k email m.

kita kits... :applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

zpapageo
12-07-2005, 03:52 AM
Ahbeejieh, Congratulations, my man. You did an awesome job. The rain is an excellent touch. Now get some well-deserved rest.

Arc80
12-07-2005, 05:33 AM
WOOHOO :bounce: :bounce: you made it and it looks great :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Super nice story telling pre and i had fun watching every move (don't forget about the other piece, taposin mo rin yun. wanna see another masterpiece from you naman).

So kita ulit tayo next time, pero keep in touch narin pre. I have me email on me website and you can pm me as well.

Congrats and goodluck sa judging. Astig talaga ang mga noypiz :buttrock:

Ingat

Korline
12-07-2005, 05:46 AM
dude you've made it :bounce: :bounce:
this is a trip, just read your story, it's freaking awsome :applause:
good luck man :thumbsup:
seeya around :twisted: :buttrock:

jbballaran
12-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Steve-h: tnx for droppin by! awesome feeling to part of this contest!

jugeras: woooohoooo pare ko! :P pm pm nalang!

zpapageo: tnx for all the support man! ill be seein you around! congrats on your spectacular piece too.

Arc80: tnx for the constant support dude. ill work on that piece i promised, abang abang nalang :thumbsup: awesome work on your piece pare, pretty spectacular how you handled that last minute change!

Korline: we did it man! cant wait for the next one, how bout you? :scream: ill see you around.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

duddlebug
12-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Congratulations on submitting on time!

The rain adds a great layer of texture across the image and it's got some great stylistic touches. The figures in the foreground are lit just right to make you look firstly at the background action. And the limited palette is just the ticket.

Good luck!

jbballaran
12-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Tnx duddlebug! Very technical in the way you're seeing my piece :) I'm glad it's got some of the technical stuff! Goodluck in the voting dude! ~peace!

cok3
03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
dude this is just plain awesomeness. great story, great lookin monster, and love the atmosphere in the battle.

penartist26
03-24-2006, 03:32 AM
fantastic men! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2006, 03:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.