PDA

View Full Version : Prepro before modeling

randalverde
09-06-2005, 04:54 AM
How important is prepro to some of the modelors out there? To what extent do you go to gather information for transfering a 2D image into a 3D model? I would like to hear some of the techniques used in order to make a complete 3D model for 2D sketches and art work with minimum time stopping in between modeling to gather more info. More of a smooth transition from beginning to end.

Detok
09-07-2005, 04:27 PM
How important is prepro to some of the modelors out there? To what extent do you go to gather information for transfering a 2D image into a 3D model? I would like to hear some of the techniques used in order to make a complete 3D model for 2D sketches and art work with minimum time stopping in between modeling to gather more info. More of a smooth transition from beginning to end.

Prepro and having 2-D images are key to all of my modeling. I don't think any kind of artist would work on something without an idea, sketchs, reference art..ect. I normally spend a decent amount on prepro just working ideas out in my head and surfing the net for reference. Theres tons of sites for body photos and stuff out there, but one of my favs is 3d.sk. Honestly I think just having all your ideas down and around your workspace helps cut down on the modeling time. Anyways, back to work. Hope this help a bit.

-Derek Jennings

ThomasMahler
09-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I think having good references and using them while sculpting is key - No matter what you're working on, having good references always helps. If you don't have good references, you'll find yourself doing a lot of trial and error, trying to find out what works and what doesn't. And that process just eats a lot of time. Also, while modeling, you're not always thinking. At least I'm not, heh! ;) Having a clue about what you're going to model will make your job a lot easier. The more you're sculpting, the better you'll know the forms that you're sculpting, and the easier it'll be for you, but still, having good references lying around if you're unsure makes your life a hell lot easier.

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2005, 06:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.