PDA

View Full Version : "Watch-Folder" distributed rendering

JeremyW
11-06-2002, 02:58 AM
I am going to do some net rendering. I'm trying to get a sense of what is involved. As far as I can gather, a necessary first step is to do a CollectFiles command. This copies all related source footage (& stills) into a new folder. Is this the only way to do it? Many of my projects have several Gig of source sequences. I would rather just have the render clients look for them where they currently are. Why copy all those gigs worth of tiffs?

TIA,
JeremyW

ohara
11-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Did anyone ever solve this problem???

Voitek
11-26-2004, 12:43 PM
In the Collect Files dialog from drop-down list Collect Source Files choose None (Project only). Also check the "Enable "Watch Folder" render" and set number of machines in Collect Files dialog. I assume you did the steps required before you run Collect files command. If not, check the following issues.
In render queue in Render Settings you should uncheck "Use storage overflow" check box and check the "Skip existing files". Sometimes it's good to use the Reduce command to delete all the items not used in queued compositions. I found that it's not good to have compressed footage, unless you're sure every render machines has every codec needed. The same about plugin effects. Also check if the network drives are mapped to the same letters on every machine, as network paths to footage have to be correct everywhere. Of course the output folder have to be seen from every machine. I hope it'll help.

cheers
Voitek

ohara
11-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks,

Ohara

Nooknik
07-26-2005, 02:11 PM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon11.gifhello there!
Curious? Are there any way to redirect the output files to some other shared drive or computer, instead of the server . My server often got lost connection when render with multiple comps and multiple render clients which map on to the same watch folder. Any advise is greatly appreciate.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

Nooknik
07-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Opps...I think I should have figured this out sooner. Actually I could specified the output location to any computers in the network by giving UNC path through those shared directories from the render queue. Just got little confuse with AFXcollect files menu the has the "Change output folder to", Poor me.....

Zeio
08-03-2005, 05:22 AM
Ok, I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret and save you the pain of using the Collect Files command, because it is absolutely horrendous with large comps.

All you need is your AEP file and the RCF file in a folder, which will become the folder you point AE to when you go to Watch Folder.

Inside the RCF is the following
After Effects 6.5v1 Render Control File
max_machines=20
num_machines=0
init=0
html_init=0
html_name=""

NOTHING MORE.. you can edit the # of max_machines though.

Next, whatever your AEP file name is, name the RCF file accordingly. IE:

09_09_comp_10.aep
09_09_comp_10_RCF.txt

Put those both in a folder and you're done. Now point AE to that folder with the Watch Folder command and youre done. No collecting files to a folder. As long as the links in your AEP still work, because the HD or network where all of the files are located is still connected to your computer then you will be fine.

Hope this helps some of you and saves some pain.

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2005, 05:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.