PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Moments - Restroom - jschleifer

jschleifer
11-06-2002, 02:32 AM
I'm in..

Had one idea which I already boarded, but I think it'll be too long.. so I'm gonna try out something new.

Hopefully I won't be violating the rules. :)

-jason

Taoizm
11-06-2002, 03:03 AM
LOL... bring it on. Can't wait to see what that twisted mind of yours is up to. :)

SheepFactory
11-06-2002, 05:40 AM
Awesome , cant wait to see your animation man :beer:

Ali

jschleifer
11-06-2002, 05:59 AM
Hey all,

Okay, I've got a quick storyboard done up in flash.. exported as quicktime. You can see it here:
http://homepage.mac.com/jschleifer/balloonDog/balloonDog_board_1.mov

The basic idea is.. my character is a balloon dog. It's going to try and pee on a fire hydrant (this is where I'm curious if the concept of the "restroom" will extend to a "dog's restroom"). Unfortunately.. there's no hole in the dog's.. er.. penis to pee out of.. so it fills up and blows up, sending the dog flying.

yes. I have a weird mind. :)

you may have to copy it to disk to get it to work.. anyway, lemme know whatcha think!
-jason

jschleifer
11-06-2002, 06:05 AM
Hmm.. seems to be a problem with the file. .I'll try again..

bentllama
11-06-2002, 06:12 AM
damn rubber penises!

funny!

jschleifer
11-06-2002, 06:31 AM
Strange.. it works if I make it a zip file. Ah well! get the zip file here: http://homepage.mac.com/jschleifer/balloonDog/balloonDog_board_1.mov.zip

let me know if you can't see it..

-jason

derelict
11-06-2002, 07:01 AM
are mods allowed to win?:rolleyes:

jason-slab
11-06-2002, 07:03 AM
hehehehe nice one

jschleifer
11-06-2002, 07:06 AM
nah, I don't think we are.. just doing this for fun, really. :)

NANONEEN
11-06-2002, 07:14 AM
funny work!
and it's a good idea to make your "stroeyboard" in flash!
don't worry for the challenge, the important thing is to have fun!

bored alien
11-06-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by jschleifer
nah, I don't think we are.. just doing this for fun, really. :)

Well, I have a feeling I'm gonna want to give you stars somewhere somehow... ;) Funny stuff already!

bentllama
11-06-2002, 07:42 AM
Strange.. it works if I make it a zip file. Ah well! get the zip file here: http://homepage.mac.com/jschleifer/balloonDog/balloonDog_board_1.mov.zip

let me know if you can't see it..

-jason

the .MOV file worked fine for me

MikaelPersson
11-06-2002, 09:38 AM
Funny stuff. Nice angle on the separate objects rule.

I had no problems with your first .mov file.

bclark
11-06-2002, 04:07 PM
Hahaha, That is funy stuff Jason.
Gald to see you have some time to relax.
I guess thing are winding down.

I am looking forward to seeing your short when its done.

later,
Brad

LichiMan
11-06-2002, 04:29 PM
WOW, Mr. Schleifer :bowdown:

Very funny your storyboard!

I can't wait more!! Hope I learn a lot with your animations.

See you soon.

maelstrom
11-06-2002, 05:36 PM
your storyboard REALLY tells an awkward moment... :eek:

i'm eager to know how you want to achieve the deflating dog with sectional geometry?

jschleifer
11-06-2002, 06:24 PM
heya brad!

you should see it here.. crazy empty. :)

I believe we're allowed to scale geometry, maelstrom, so I'll probably just do that. I may even swap out a different rig for the "deflated" dog which is broken up into much smaller pieces that don't deform.

looks like I was the only one having trouble with the .mov file! weird! well, in the future I'll provide both a .mov and a .zip file.. just in case. :)

cheers!
-jason

TRi-14
11-07-2002, 02:42 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Absolutely awsome! i cant wait to see it! "It made me laugh, it made me cry (poor puppy)!"

i would have never thought of that, excelent jason :) and good luck :)

TRi-14

jschleifer
11-09-2002, 04:40 AM
Had an hour or so today to model, so I quickly made this.. it's got a skeleton in it, but no controls yet. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

whee! :)

srv
11-09-2002, 04:46 AM
Hey,
that's gonna be tough to rig j/k

it is going to be tough to animate though (not j/k)

do u think extra sections to the limbs would make it easier?

jschleifer
11-09-2002, 05:04 AM
I've been thinkin 'bout that.. I think I'm going to let the limbs scale and such, so it can bounce around and be a "happy" dog. I've got the ability to bend the body a bit, but I'm not sure if I'll keep that or not.

I'll try and do a quick run cycle tomorrow and send it out so you can see what I'm thinkin in terms of movement..

-jason

Nemises
11-09-2002, 10:31 AM
I somehow feel as though at least one of us should be doing a Kiwi going to the toilet or moving a piano or something :/...

:airguitar

MikaelPersson
11-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Wouldn´t it look nice with balloons in slightly different hues?

winthorpe
11-09-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Mikael P.
Wouldn´t it look nice with balloons in slightly different hues?
Yeah but how would you acomplish that though. Jason, isn't that one of those balloons that you twist from one into shapes? What the heck am I trying to say........ it's one balloon right? Like in "The Mask"....... "And my personal favorite, A TOMMY GUN!" :D

MikaelPersson
11-09-2002, 04:43 PM
Yep, winthorpe you´re correct. But dont they use like two or three balloons? Euhm, but we are talking fantasy creations here anyway. :) Do whatever looks best.

bentllama
11-09-2002, 06:02 PM
The sound of balloons and styrofoam squeaking is my kyrptonite. I am soooooo glad that there is no sound allowed in this challenge! :):surprised

jschleifer
11-09-2002, 07:07 PM
hmm.. different coloured balloons is a great idea.. this dog is actually made of 4 separate balloons, so I could do that!

traditional dog balloon shapes are 1 balloon, but then the legs can't be separated.. that's why I'm making it out of 4 separate balloons.. 1 for the front legs, one for the back legs, one for the ears, and one for the body.

I'll vary the hues a bit to make it more realistic.. thanks for the idea!
-jason

jschleifer
11-16-2002, 12:18 AM
Hey all,

Okay, I had a few hours this morning to do some animation so I did a quick rough blocking of the piece. Please note that it's really really rough.. just wanted to get some timings in and some ideas of how the dog will move differently throughout the scene. The initial "bounding" is going to be much more exciting.. and not nearly so.. er.. stiff. :) anyway, comments are appreciated..

2 versions for ya to d/l.. one which is the .mov file, adn the other which is zipped. pick whichever you want. :)

http://homepage.mac.com/jschleifer/balloonDog/balloonDogRoughBlocking_cmp.mov

http://homepage.mac.com/jschleifer/balloonDog/balloonDogRoughBlocking_cmp.zip

-jason

dmcgrath
11-16-2002, 02:19 AM
You are just sick man.:thumbsup:
I am really glad I wasn't drinking milk when I first saw this.
Otherwise, I'd be cleaning up a hell of a mess now.

Stephen Vyas
11-16-2002, 02:30 AM
heheh.. I kinda crossed my legs a bit at the end there...
I hate to see a brother go out that way :)

-Steve

volk23
11-16-2002, 04:07 AM
and what is it red!?

I love the idea !!

levin
11-16-2002, 04:41 AM
hilarious!!!!!!!!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

ilasolomon
11-16-2002, 07:46 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: + :beer:

jschleifer
11-16-2002, 09:14 AM
Started adding some secondary motion & refining the timing for the first part of the animation. Still lots to do, but it's starting to get the right feel. :0

http://homepage.mac.com/jschleifer/balloonDog/blocking_v2.mov
or
http://homepage.mac.com/jschleifer/balloonDog/blocking_v2.mov.zip

enjoy!

-jason

lildragon
11-16-2002, 09:42 AM
LOL!! looking good Jason, looking very good :applause: but how come his balloon penis looked really shattered at the end and turned colors? :curious:

heheh

salud

Totitch
11-16-2002, 10:15 AM
:D :D :D ...Ahahaha! Too Funny! :D

LichiMan
11-16-2002, 11:58 AM
:eek:
Great!! The balloons have life!!

Have you scaled the joints for that animation? Or Is it part of the rig?

Very funny Jason. :beer:

Frinsklen
11-16-2002, 11:59 AM
Haha, what a great idea, Jason! :D

and you call this blocking? no way!

:thumbsup:

MikaelPersson
11-16-2002, 12:30 PM
I love it :love:. That little tail is so cute.

It will be hard to give you any crits at all when your blocking level is this high.
Right after he´s stopped sniffing at the fire post the walk stiffens too much. It´s not as dynamic as his entrance. With that I dont mean you should have him bouncing at the end. Rather give him some very small up and down movement or something similar.
It feels kinda foolish to crit work of this level, but I thought I´d try anyway.

:wavey:

jschleifer
11-16-2002, 05:04 PM
lildragon: I'm still playing with his penis colour.. I was thinking it should be pink to help differentiate, but.. now I'm going back to blue.. so I may have missed a few pieces of "explosion" that were supposed to stay the same colour. :)

lichiman: The balloons keeping volume is part of the rig.. basically I've got a single joint going from the top of the leg to the foot. Then I put an ikHandle on there and measure the distance from the top of the leg to the ikHandle using a distance measure tool. I feed the resulting distance to the joint at the bottom of the leg (making the leg stretch to meet the ikhandle) & then feed the distance attribute to the scale attributes to make it keep volume.

Frinsklen: thanks! :) definitely still blocking tho.. the whole second half is very rough with no weight or offsetting of motion or anything. And I haven't really gone in and offset the feet at all yet.. or added a bit of extra nose wiggle.. and the little bits on the ends of the balloon aren't yet wiggling either.

Mikael P.: Oh yeah, I know about the end bit.. I was just working on the bounce and turn bits. As soon as he starts sniffing I haven't done ANY secondary motion or offsetting or really working with teh animation.. it's still super-blocking mode. Don't worry tho, I'll try and get to that this week some time. :)

cheers for all the comments!
-jason

maelstrom
11-16-2002, 11:37 PM
very good! :applause:

his entrance maybe looks a bit cartoony compared to the rest, but it's hard to tell as everything is still blocked out rather roughly.

this is the best i've seen so far from the challenge, but i guess this was to be expected... :rolleyes:

bentllama
11-18-2002, 02:09 AM
nice pass! I like the overall feel.

I did see a baloon dog being cartoony in timing when i first saw your animatic...and I do not know if this animation has that cartoony 'pop'... [pun intended]

blakboks
11-18-2002, 05:16 AM
Wow...you're blocking is probably better than my final will get... (good thing mod's can't participate in the final vote :insane: mwa hah hah hah) ;)

That little wobble right as he lifts his leg is just sick (yet very funny)...you're a sad sad little man:shame:

Any chance we get to see the rig at all...would be nice for 'study' for us students.

Thanks again,
Chris

omarello
11-18-2002, 06:43 PM
kudddos :applause:

ur sick man, amazing job, hehe th elittle tail is amazing, hehe i love the idea....

hope we could get the chace to see the rig as blakboks suggested, it would be amazing for study purposes

jschleifer
11-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll have time to do some more animation tonight.. probably won't have time 'till sunday, but you never know. :)

I'd be happy to post the rig, too. I'll do that when I get home. It's not a very "clean" rig.. kinda messy, actually.. but for a one-off, it works pretty well.

As for the difference between the realism and cartoony, I'm definitely going for cartoony here.. so the second half where it's still rough blocking is going to get a lot more interesting.. I hope. :)

cheers!
-jason

olivier georges
11-18-2002, 07:41 PM
oh jason, i really like your style, will be a really good piece of animation, go for the cartoony style :)

Olivier.

jason-slab
11-19-2002, 06:10 AM
dude thats funny as hell, the way he pauses after he runs(bounces) past the the hydrant,
and that tail wag:applause: (remides me of my jack russel)

u shoud be working for disney or pixar :D

|jason

jschleifer
11-19-2002, 08:39 AM
Wow.. thanks Jason! I'd love to work for pixar or disney.. I don't think I'm there yet, but thanks for the compliment! Those guys are amazing.. such amazing animators. Some day.. some day.. :)

Anyway, didn't have time to animate anything today but here's the rig! it's pretty messy, but hopefully you'll enjoy! :)

-jason

m0ck
11-19-2002, 06:21 PM
Thanks for sharing

olivier georges
11-19-2002, 07:04 PM
Really cool, another fantastic rig by King Jason !!!!
i already study your rigs from integrating a creature animation rig within a production pipeline.... fantastic rigs ;)

Olivier.

muckywetnoodle
11-19-2002, 08:11 PM
HI Jason,
The animation's looking great. One thing I thought a bit odd is he's a balloon dog with toon action and weight, which works but when hopping along he does a kind of front end up hop, rear end up hop, etc. kinda like a normal balloon might bounce along in the wind (a bit conflicting).

Thanks for the sample too! Hands on examples are nifty.

leigh
11-19-2002, 10:35 PM
Man, that's just downright hysterical! We're all working late here, and just about peeing ourselves over this one!

Great stuff :thumbsup:

The little doggy quality has really come through, with it's quick, perky little movements - such excellent character! I can almost here it's annoying yapping :P

Looking forward to seeing more, this is a great one!

stzaske
11-19-2002, 11:28 PM
The animation is definitely well done, and it's great you share the RIG, so we can learn from it.

I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but how does this follow the rule that says "No deformations"? I understand, as a moderator, you're just doing this for fun, but I'm still curious.

One questions: Looking at your rig, I was trying to figure out how you built utility nodes on your geometry. I saw one labelled Multiplydivide and another called distance. I know how to build utility nodes in shaders, but I've never seen them on geometry's. Can you tell me how to create these?

-=STZ=-

jschleifer
11-20-2002, 12:08 AM
stzaske,

aha! see.. I'm not really doing deformations.. I'm just scaling the geometry.. a wee loophole, but it works. I believe bentlama said that scaling was okay, so thar ya go! :)

As for creating utility nodes for the rig, you're right I'm using a multiplyDivide and a distance node. They can be created using the:

createNode

command..

just do something like:

createNode multiplyDivide

and thar ya have it! :)

this works for any node.. if you want to find out what type of node something is, you can use the command:

nodeType locator1;

this will return the node type, and from that point on you can do:

createNode booyeah;

or something like that.

Leigh:
thanks! yeah, I'm having fun watching my dog & then trying to pick up on some of her movements.. animation is fun! hopefully I'll get a chance to finish this up before the weekend's here.. we'll see. :)

muckywetnoodle:
thanks very much! I just thought that it would be nice to allude to the "balloony" quality of the dog with his intro and "outro" as it were.. but then just really focus on the animation through the rest of it. But you're right.. it is conflicting, and if I were going to be having this character act in a film, I'd probably focus more on determining exactly how a balloon dog could move about w/out just bouncing away.. :)

cheers!

-jason

stzaske
11-20-2002, 03:58 AM
Since you're working with loopholes, you HAVE (i mean HHHAAVVEE) to add audio to your animation. I think a mix of dog and that squeeky balloon sound would add a LOT to your animation.

As for the utility nodes...hmm, so I guess there is no official, or way in the UI to create such nodes...strange. But thanks for the tip.

-=STZ=-

jschleifer
11-20-2002, 04:18 AM
actually, you can create them in the UI.. the measure tool is Create-->Measure Tools-->Distance, and the multiplyDivide you can create in render utilities..

-jason

Array
11-20-2002, 08:29 AM
damn.....maya master indeed! 5 stars! :beer:

MosaFacku
11-25-2002, 07:08 AM
cool stuff, cant wait to see the final.

:xtreme:

Grayscale
11-26-2002, 09:37 AM
Holy COW..I mean Holy exploding balloon penis batman. That's awesome. Really Really good work Jason. I about fell out of my chair. It's a great animation and I can't wait to see the finished product.

tazza
11-28-2002, 11:33 AM
Hey Jason,

Thats a graet little piece of animation, and a really cool rig to boot. trying to figure it out, actually. Do you think you could go into a little more depth about the volume squashing and strtching technique you used. I didn't really understand your earlier description

:bounce:

cherrs
Terry

jschleifer
11-28-2002, 08:02 PM
Heya Terry,

The squashing & stretching is basically doing a scale on the X,Y, and Z axis of the geometry to get it to keep the volume. What i'm doing is using the measure distance tool to keep track of the distance between the start of a joint and the locator or curve which is driving the ikHandle for the joint. Then, I feed that distance into an expression (or multiplyDivide node, whichever works) which will scale the geometry accordingly.

So, let's say you have a joint structure which looks like:

joint1-->joint2-->joint3

and you've got a ikHandle going from joint2 to joint3, and geometry "leg" a child of joint2.

Now, using the distance tool, put one locator where joint2 is and one where the ikHandle for joint3 is.
parent the first locator under joint1, and parent the ikHandle under the second locator.

Now, when you move the second locator, the joint will orient to follow, and you can see the distance tool changing the distance.. right?

Next take the geometry and stretch it so it looks like the shape you want.. and freeze transforms, so the scale is 1 1 1.

Now, you can easily make an expression based on the distance the distance tool is using to alter the scale for what you need..

First you need to find out what the "default" distance is.. let's say it's 3. Then you use that as part of the expression..

it could look something like:

geo.sx = distanceShape.distance/3;

so when the distance gets smaller, let's say to 2.. you end up with geo.sx being equal to 2/3.. causing it to shrink. If the distance gets larger, say it goes to 6.. then the sx becomes 2 (6/3). See how that works?

hope that helps some!
-jason

orange_3D
11-28-2002, 08:21 PM
wow, thats cool animation! :thumbsup:

if i may make a suggestion...
i feel the balloon fills up and blows up just a little bit too quickly...
i recommend having it fill up at the current speed, but then slow down as it gets nearly full...then hold this pose to build up anticipation and then let 'er rip! heheh

heck, if you really want to go to town, you might have him shake it a bit before blowing up...

i totally love the bouncy entrance and freeze turn around...sweet :drool:

tazza
11-29-2002, 01:07 PM
Thanx for explaining that Jason. A lways trying to inject the squishyness of 2D into 3D, and that method really helps.

Terry:bounce:

jschleifer
12-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Wow.. well that bites.. :)

anyway, here's the link to the final animation again..

http://homepage.mac.com/jschleifer/balloonDog/final_v1.mov

-jason

MosaFacku
12-08-2002, 09:04 PM
heh heh heh, funny funny stuff. :)

good job :buttrock:

ilasolomon
12-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Ver-ry nice!:) CoOoL... you've gotten my vote. you are a Master indeed.
Ila

Nemises
12-08-2002, 10:44 PM
hehe...crikey thats funny!

Good Stuff man!!

Corn Dog
12-08-2002, 11:27 PM
errr his penis looks ribbed? (just as it explodes that is, I wasnt look THAT closely :) )

IT's cool though, wish I could hear him squeak.

jschleifer
12-09-2002, 02:05 AM
thanks guys! :)

as for the ribbed penis.. it's not really ribbed, it's segmented geometry. The rules state that you can't use deformers, so I had to segment the geometry in order to get it to scale correctly.. I may at some point add deformers to it so it actually scales the way I want, but for now.. gotta do it this way. :)

-jason

pigwater
12-09-2002, 07:13 AM
fab...love the way the volume stays true ....really captured the balloon feel :applause:

jason-slab
12-09-2002, 10:37 AM
great work dude:thumbsup:

good luck

|jason

Ejecta
12-09-2002, 04:46 PM
Great work Jason!!!

RockinAkin
12-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Very funny animation Jason.

Superb timing as well... you've got my vote!

-DivideByZero-

jschleifer
12-11-2002, 12:13 AM
thanks guys! glad you liked it.. I appreciate the votes, even though I can't win. :)

-jason

jason-slab
12-11-2002, 05:16 AM
u can't?

did u have a good trip btw?

|jason

jschleifer
12-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Yep, I'm helping bent moderate this challenge so I can't win.. but it's nice to know that people like the short! :)

The trip was great.. had a blast in Japan and now I'm back in NZ for a few short weeks before heading to the states for the holidays.. then back here in the new year.

whee! :)
-jason

Benno
12-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Hi Jason

Just want to add my belated $0.02. Really funny dude! You and I share a similar sense of humour:p I really love the carefree bouncy movement of the balloon dog (still..how else could he move?) Thanks for the laugh man!

Benno.:thumbsup:

Kal77
12-16-2002, 10:45 PM
Wow thanks for taking the time to explain it! - I can just about see how the multiply/divide node sits in there... roll on your next A|W DVD :bounce: :thumbsup:
Heya Terry,

The squashing & stretching is basically doing a scale on the X,Y, and Z axis of the geometry to get it to keep the volume. What i'm doing is using the measure distance tool to keep track of the distance between the start of a joint and the locator or curve which is driving the ikHandle for the joint. Then, I feed that distance into an expression (or multiplyDivide node, whichever works) which will scale the geometry accordingly.

So, let's say you have a joint structure which looks like:

joint1-->joint2-->joint3

and you've got a ikHandle going from joint2 to joint3, and geometry "leg" a child of joint2.

Now, using the distance tool, put one locator where joint2 is and one where the ikHandle for joint3 is.
parent the first locator under joint1, and parent the ikHandle under the second locator.

Now, when you move the second locator, the joint will orient to follow, and you can see the distance tool changing the distance.. right?

Next take the geometry and stretch it so it looks like the shape you want.. and freeze transforms, so the scale is 1 1 1.

Now, you can easily make an expression based on the distance the distance tool is using to alter the scale for what you need..

First you need to find out what the "default" distance is.. let's say it's 3. Then you use that as part of the expression..

it could look something like:

geo.sx = distanceShape.distance/3;

so when the distance gets smaller, let's say to 2.. you end up with geo.sx being equal to 2/3.. causing it to shrink. If the distance gets larger, say it goes to 6.. then the sx becomes 2 (6/3). See how that works?

hope that helps some!
-jason

muckywetnoodle
12-19-2002, 04:43 AM
Looks good finished. I think the blue penis works better too.

PascalR
05-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Great animation:bounce: :love:
Great idea too, very funny:D

Thanks for sharing your technics:thumbsup:

Pascal R.

http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalr

PascalR
05-06-2003, 06:35 PM
oops this one is a mistake:hmm:
The server was busy...
Great work Jason :thumbsup:

graphiouz
05-22-2003, 11:10 PM
Jason that lovely!

have you consithered doing more versions on the same theme?
like instead of the "penis" bursting it fills with air, the dog flips over and floats upwards, 'feets and tale jiggles' while leaving scene.

jschleifer
05-23-2003, 09:17 AM
LOL! that's a great idea!

haven't thought of doing any more of these 'cuz I just don't have time.. :) maybe later.. I've got other things I want to work on in my spare time which are a bit more pressing.. <grin>

but I'll keep it in the back! :)

cheers!
-jason

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.