PDA

View Full Version : VFS Visual Effects Reel - Steam Tank

Severian
09-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Hey everyone,

I wrapped up my time at VFS a few weeks ago and am just now getting around to posting my reel. The reel is basically a steam tank rolling through the streets of Vancouver (and accompanying devastation), plus a little project our class worked on involving a flying saucer and a bit of cathartic self-destruction. It's all still lacking sound effects and music, due to frequent crashes of AE, but after I reformat my machine I'll try to post a version with sound as well. Hope you like it, and I'm open to critiques (don't expect me to change anything though...6 months on this was enough for me :) ) I'm currently living in the San Francisco Bay Area and am seeking employment, so if you know of anything, give me a shout.

Edit: New server set up for download. Should be much faster now. Old mirrors are still linked up as well.

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d52christopher/images/screengrab1.jpg

http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d52christopher/images/screengrab2.jpg

Small Version : 360x240 (approx. 22 mb .mov) (http://www.chrispaulvfx.com/ChrisPaulVFXReel2005_Small.mov) (mirror) (http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d52christopher/ChrisPaulVFXReel2005_Small.mov)

Big Version : 720x480 (approx. 54 mb .mov) (http://www.chrispaulvfx.com/ChrisPaulVFXReel2005_Big.mov) (mirror) (http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d52christopher/ChrisPaulVFXReel2005_Big.mov)

Right Click and Save As...

Congrats to all the rest of 3D52. It was a great class and super talented.

Cheers,

Chris Paul

http://www.chrispaulvfx.com (http://www.chrispaulvfx.com)

shiaopoo
09-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Hey,Chris

Waiting for your excellent piece on cgtalk for long time.
I really like your tank,you have comprehensive skills,and I always
surprised by your speed of making things....so fast,and have best quality.

and thanks for your party,man,it's a nice one.

KENLEE
09-06-2005, 12:41 AM
NICE demo ~~you have done so many efforts , Im so glad to see that cool~live ammunition.
GREAT~~I want to see your demo with sound effects as well , so if you have had that could you update your page please , thank you

Heber
09-06-2005, 01:15 AM
would be nice if you had it on something else other than vfs server...10k/s for a 54mb file is unbereable..from the still it looks cool tho....

Severian
09-06-2005, 01:22 AM
shiaopoo: Thanks man, you're not exactly slow at turning stuff out yourself, ya know :)

KENLEE: Thanks a lot, your demon reel was really inspirational for me. Truly exceptional work.

Heber: Yeah, I'm working on getting it up somewhere with a fatter pipe. Any suggestions for a good host?

tdamcbigity
09-06-2005, 01:22 PM
155k/s for me. Sirry Heber. Awesome job Severian, good ambience.

jonbie
09-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Great job, men finally we can see your awsome work, everytime i look at your progress at school it was amazing and more without a mentor, heheh, and the finall piece its so cool.Congrats and keep going hope to c ya in couple of years with a kickass job, haha take care.

Heber
09-06-2005, 08:48 PM
155k/s for me. Sirry Heber. Awesome job Severian, good ambience.

Edit: New server set up for download. Should be much faster now. Old mirrors are still linked up as well.

read....different server now..........

as for the reel whoa that was amazing, the compositing, modeling and texturing were all top notch...almost felt like i was watching a shot from a big blockbuster movie. After seeing the horrible vfx in transporter this weekend and now watching this i am convinced that 1 man alone can make a big diff. in a shot.
Congrats and i think this is front page worthy. 5 stars here.

*edit* just a thought when you are showing your tank rolling over the terrain and deforming properly at the end, maybe you could show the rigging behind it a bit as i thought it was impressive.

stung
09-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Great work! I like your saucer assignment that shows you are a good VFX artist. I hope you can spend time deal with the the sky of steam tank , matte painting or something and the reel will be more dramatic and drag more attention. Have you tried night scene? You are very brave, it's hard to com fx element in day scene, but I think you've done very good job. Anyways, good texture, compositing, very impressive work.

andronikos916
09-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Amazing!!! *****

...but SOUND man! ...it is like eating cold carbonara here! hehe...if you know what I mean!

cy,
Andronikos

J.Wilson
09-06-2005, 11:28 PM
WOW!
excellent job, congrats on finishing your reel chris, it looks awsome. job well done
good luck with the job hunt man.

5 stars from me!
cheers:applause:

Scotcho
09-06-2005, 11:37 PM
I've been impressed by this ever since I've seen the first render of your steam tank. You really took this VFX shot to another level. Honestly the best I've seen come out of your stream. Congratualations and I hope you choose the best job for yourself, you deserve it.

Adam.

r1d3r
09-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Hey Chris,

Finally posted it eh. Nice work man. You were a great inspiration to us all. The tank looks absolutely amazing! I was a little apprehensive that you would be biting off more then you could chew. But you pulled it off! Great work Chris! I just can’t wait to hear what studio you will be working for. Good luck with everything Chris. It was a great year working and getting to know you. All the best man!

Sincerely Johnathan Reiter

Heidi Niccole
09-07-2005, 03:49 AM
Amazing!!! I loved the animation of the treads on the roll away at the end. …Very realistic and professional. Awesome work!!!

SOoooo…. You made it to “the City” after all… Best of luck in the job search and congrats on making it through VFS. Enjoy the bay.

hnc

Severian
09-07-2005, 04:20 AM
Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the kind words and support.

Heber: Thanks man. I consider a compliment on modelling from you a big deal. I thought about trying to show the rig a bit, but it's mostly scripts and expressions running it...very few displayable elements...so I couldn't really figure out a good way to show it off.

stung: Yeah, the sky gave me some serious headaches on the tank shots, especially the second one. I had to give up on it due to time constraints as the term wound down, but if I go back to it that would definitely be the first thing to tackle. I've never done a night shot before. I guess you can get away with a lot more on a night shot, huh? :)

andronikos916: Thanks man, and yeah, I know it desperately needs sound. I'm workin on it!

J.Wilson & Scotcho: Thanks guys. I can't wait to see what you come up with for your final term. I'll be keepin my eyes peeled on here for a final reel from you fellas. Good luck!

John: Hey dude, haven't heard from ya in a while. Check your email.

Heidi: Thanks a lot. Drop me a line when you're back in the bay area and we'll grab a beer or something :)

Cheers all,

webhead
09-07-2005, 04:53 AM
Really well done. Excellent compositing and great work on the textures and the treads of the steam tank - The way the tank shook as it moved really added to the realism. Just awesome!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

sgbox
09-07-2005, 08:18 AM
thats good. very very crazy

pum
09-07-2005, 08:38 AM
damn dude! thats an amazing reel! beautiful model and texture, very well composited too!
good luck in the job hunt! :thumbsup:

HB

gigan
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
very well executed... making vfs proud. heh

peace

shakes825
09-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Nice work, Chris. The shot turned out really cool. Good luck in your job hunt; I'm sure you'll have no trouble. It was great working with you and getting to know you this past year. Hope to see you down in the Bay area soon. :thumbsup:

Doobers
09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
wow your reel looks awesome, every aspect is very polished. I think my favorite part is the rig test for the treads ( I still think it would have been awesome to have it roll over some dead soldiers hahaha). so you're in santa cruz? I think you said you were applying for a place around there.

MingDynasty1368-1644
09-07-2005, 10:36 PM
you know what chris, i still remember that tiny blue cheese burger you gave to me . you really should give me a bigger one....
Anyway, Great work!!

ShadowM8
09-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Great reel Chris.

I enjoyed studying with you and was greatly inspired by your work. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

salokcin82
09-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Incredible!

I wish it had sound... that would really complete it.

Great job.

Nick
www.nickrosario.com (http://www.nickrosario.com)

Zoox
09-08-2005, 12:30 AM
looks real good :thumbsup: I have a question for you if you don't mind. I i'm currently looking at going to VFS possibly and was just wondering if you liked it there and if you would recomend it? Thanks, and keep up the great work :)

Severian
09-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Thanks a lot everyone. Glad you all liked it. Sound is coming.

Zoox: VFS is a great place if you're really dedicated and self-motivated. There's good and bad things (there's other threads that go into all that) but overall I would say it was a positive experience. It's really a matter of getting out what you put in though. Good luck with that.

Cheers,

Sherif.Nagib
09-09-2005, 03:37 AM
this one of the best vfx reels I've seen coming out of VFS, gr8 job man.. you've got an awesome eye for details..I'm sure you're gonna get a kick a$$ job.

sly
09-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Great job, I love everything about the tank itself and it's integration into the plates. If i had to point a weaker area, I think your particle work could have used a bit more love. Especially, the impact when the tank shoots the tower, the way the debris falls is not very believable and the smoke apear a bit too soft, not dense enough. I would have like too feel the impact a bit more too, (maybe a flash frame when it hits ?) but that's personal taste.

Really great job once again, especially for a student reel.
Sly

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2005, 04:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.