PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular 3D Entry: Chris Pavia

Runefall
09-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Chris Pavia is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=8053)

Latest Update: Concept Sketch: Initial Concept Sketch
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8053/8053_1125982080_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2607709#post2607709)

Runefall
09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Hello all, this will be my first Challenge here on CGTalk. I'm primarily a game artist, so I'm looking forward to getting to try some hi res work.
For my piece, I'd like to provoke an emotion of loss or longing. So far I have two ideas:
1. A mother dragon has been killed on a snowy mountaintop protecting her eggs from a group of mercenaries, who'll sell the baby dragon parts for use in potions/magical experiments etc. Her lance skewered body is hunkered over the clutch, the eggs have been shattered and the footprints make it obvious that a group of people made off with the eggs contents. An early hatchling was able to hide before the group arrived, and now tries to awaken its mother.

2. A Frazetta-esque barbarian woman and her dinosaur cohort got into a scrape with some jungle invaders. During thier retreat, the dino gets skewered by spears (or maybe some sci-fi weapon to add a contrast to the primitive scene). So now it lays on the jungle floor dying, as the woman holds it in its last moments of life.

I'd like to know your opinions on which would be a better scene, and fits more with the contest theme (I don't really want to do a realistic scene, as I do enough of that at work. And I want to keep the scope of the piece to 1 or 2 major objects/elements so I don't get in over my head with work, since I have little hi res experience).
I've got a game art contest I need to finish by the 12th, so I'll mainly only be doing concept work for this one until the other is done.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your comments! Good luck all!

Runefall
09-06-2005, 04:48 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8053/8053_1125982080_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/8053/8053_1125982080_large.jpg)

Oops, sorry for the huge image. Anyway, I decided to depict one of the most unforgettable moments in a persons life, the death of a loved one.
Story:
The girl and the dino were both orphaned at a very young age, left in the jungle to die. They met and formed an uneasy truce, relying on each other for food, protection, and shelter. As they aged they grew to form a brother/sister like bond, learning to communicate through various sounds and body language. When they reached maturity, they staked out a section of the jungle as thier territory, being unrivalled fighters when challenged. Eventually strange and unknown invaders came into the jungle from the sky, and left destruction in their wake. The pair fiercely defended thier kingdom, but were no match for the invaders advanced weaponry. They were made to retreat, but the raptor was fatally injured in the process. Now the girl holds him in his last moments of life.

I hope this is at least somewhat keeping in theme with the challenge, let me know what you think...

thebest
09-06-2005, 06:30 AM
nice idea :eek:

Runefall
09-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks! Still looking for a good placement/composition to aid the narrative.

OvidsMuse
09-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Thats an interesting idea. But why so glum Everyone seems to be going for death and destruction!! You know what would be really great is if the girl and her raptor were able to fight off the invaders even though they had more technology. Maybe they've made a net and capture some of them with it as they fly through the jungle? I don't know.
Maybe if one is dead the other will still be defending the fallen one? The girl has killed on of the attackers and now has it's weapon and is using it against others that are attacking? Just some ideas for you.

Runefall
09-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Those are all excellent ideas Ovid, but I must keep the scope of the piece within my ability of accomplishing. I haven't much hi res experience (pretty much only game art), so I'll be learning Zbrush, hair plugins, hi res texturing and lighting all for the first time, so I figured I'd keep the scope as small as possible. I had a bunch of other more epic ideas, but I knew I'd never finish them with all I have to learn.

OvidsMuse
09-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Well I know where you’re coming from. For most of us, were just hoping someone will give us some tips and we'll walk away with a little more knowledge!!! Can't fault you for keeping your scene at a manageable size. I think your knowledge of game art will translate into hi-res pretty easily. It's just a few extra steps, a little more time. We still have 88 days of fun ahead of us! Good luck, I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. I'm interested in seeing where this leads.

Runefall
09-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words! I'm in a game art comp over at CGChat right now, so I can't do too much work on this until that ones done. The deadline is Monday the 12th, so I'll start on this piece full bore next week.

OvidsMuse
09-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Hey, thats sweet, I'll have to just that out! It'll be great to see what you do when you get started next week.

el-newty
09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Hi, this is a nice idea... I like it...
The sketch is great.
I'll look forvard for progress.
Until then... good luck :thumbsup:

madshooter
09-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Hey nice emotional concept. According to your concept camera angle looks fine to me. This wiil be more like a silent, emotional scene, emotion between girl and the dino. Go for it, this looks quiet promising to me. waiting to see more updates.

Keep the good work going:thumbsup:

Runefall
09-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the encouragement all, I hope to get all the concept artwork out of the way next week.

Since this is my first real hi res still, I have a question: Is it best to model the girl and dino in thier final positions, or model them in a T pose, throw a biped on em and put them into position? It seems that modelling them in position would be quicker because then I'd be sure to not model anything that wouldn't be seen, but doing the T pose way might make for more accurate anatomy, since it'd be easier to build her that way.

el-newty
09-08-2005, 05:17 PM
This is a difficult question... why... because there are artists who prefer the Michelangelo pose (your 'T' pose), other prefer to model it in final pose.
I prefer the 'T' pose because it's faster in modeling, then you easily can rigg the body for moving and posing it in right position.
In your case, I think it's better to model the human character in 'T' pose, because all the anatomicaly parts are visible (exeption made by left hand... covered by dino's head).
Intead the dino can be modeled in final pose position (to not loose precious time by modeling the foot parts... they are not visible).
So... it's up to you witch metod you choose.
Good luck :thumbsup:

el-newty
09-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Sorry, I don't know where my mind was... it's Da Vinci pose (posture) not Michelangelo. :argh:

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2005, 05:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.